would I be eligible for a cesarean?(7 Posts)
Hi, I'm just hoping someone out there can give me some advice and I hope I don't upset anyone with my post.
I have just found out I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my third child. It was unplanned and very unexpected...but it happened. I want to continue this pregnancy but the issue I have is in both prior vaginal births I had second degree tears and the second baby was 9 1/2 lbs and left me with a rectocele, and a slight uterine prolapse, both of which cause pain and discomfort on a daily basis. However I have been told both were 'minor' and so far no heath professional has been concerned.
I had not planned for a 3rd pregnancy at this stage but I am concerned for my health. I am afraid of having yet another large baby causing my prolapses to worsen or anything else to occur. I know just the pregnancy can exacerbate thing, but it is really another horrible vaginal birth that is frightening me. I fear I may have to have a termination as I'm only 26 and with two young children I really don't want my health to suffer further. I had never considered a cesarean until now, but I don't know if or when I would ever find out if I am eligible based on my situation and by then it would be too late. I am so torn and upset by this. Any advice appreciated.
I am pregnant with my 3rd & have had 2 x 3rd degree tears with previous labours. At my 8wk booking appt I told midwife that I wanted a c-section (I havent suffered any effects of either tear, but am aware my babies are only getting bigger each time, and this time it could be a 4th degree tear, or no tear at all!).
I was sent for further tests on my, ahem, back passage... they came back ok, but they were still perfectly happy for me to have a c-section. Its booked for just over 3 wks time. If I hadnt asked for a c-section, I think they would have just gone with a vaginal delivery and not even mentioned c-section to me, its only because I asked up front.
If you can't wait until booking to discuss & need to do it sooner, go see you gp. The fact that you have suffered ill effects after the tears would, in my opinion, be enough for them to allow you a c-section. I sometimes feel like i'm being 'too posh to push' in my request for a c-section, but everyone has been very understand, and also highlighted that whilst I'm still young(ish! 32!) and don't seem to have suffered from the tears, its when you hit menopause that it can all start to go wrong.
Good luck! x
The right to have a cesarian is in the news a lot these days. It seems that it depends on your local health board. This article explains a bit more http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14806315
I should think your reason is pretty valid medically. Good luck and let us know what you find out...
I would imagine that given your history, a consultant would probably recommend that you have a caesarean.
Do you want a third child? If the answer is yes, then go to your GP as soon as you can and explain your concerns, ask if
You could be referred to a consultant in the antenatal clinic to discuss it. The GP should then refer you to the antenatal clinic and they can talk to you about it . We can't guess what the doctors will say but if you explain you've got physical symptoms still and are very worried about the problems you might get with a standard delivery I'd hope they would take that very seriously. Good luck!
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have an appointment with my G.P on Friday morning so hopefully I'll get more advice on what is likely to happen. Unfortunately where I am you don't have your first appointment with a midwife until you are about 13 weeks pregnant.
I'm just hoping they do take this seriously as I found with the rectocele etc. once they figured it did not require surgery, it was just brushed off as part of the price of 'having babies' and I've been made to feel it is virtually all in my mind. I don't have much faith in my local NHS at all.
When you've had the baby, go back and ask for a second opinion on the rectocele. You shouldn't have to live with it just because you've had children - it can and should be fixed.
Join the discussion
Please login first.