Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Losing weight in pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
buterflies Wed 14-Sep-11 12:08:36

Hi I am 13 weeks 5 days pregnant and I have lost 5 lbs.

Quite happy as I now weigh 15 stone and certainly need to lose weight but is it safe to lose weight in pregnancy?

Baby was fine on scan at 13 weeks so not worried but if I carry on losing weight should I be concerned?

thejaffacakesareonme Wed 14-Sep-11 12:23:52

I think if you are a little over your ideal weight to start with then it isn't a problem at this stage. A lot of people lose weight at this time due to morning sickness or just following a healthier diet / not drinking alcohol. Your midwife will be able to give you dietary advice re pregnancy. I'm a week ahead of you and have lost 3 pounds but I'm not worried - I'm sure I'll put it back on soon enough.

buterflies Wed 14-Sep-11 12:58:06

Hoping it doesnt pile on, it has definetly helped by cutting out junk food and just being more aware of what I am eating. Although I am about to have some Bachelors super noodles lol.

bigeyes Wed 14-Sep-11 13:10:32

Hi buterflies

I lost half a stone up to 15 weeks, and have just got my appetite back and have started to put a few pound back on.

The MW said not to worry the baby will take what it needs. I also take pregnacare supplement which covers everything - folic acid, vitamins, oils so I always felt 'covered' when I couldnt manage much more than weetabix or potatos

I was overweight ( but no in a at risk group) so I am monitoring my diet and weight as I dont want get carried away (I did last time) and put excess on.

buterflies Wed 14-Sep-11 13:19:53

bigeyes Thats reassuring.

I am also taking the pregnacare supplement, I have been really bad with morning sickness although more feeling sick rather than being sick so didnt expect to lose any weight.

Apparently I am in the at risk group but personally I think thats rubbish as yes I look chubby but I am a size 18 so I dont think thats huge and I am healthy apart from my BMI. My blood pressure etc is all fine.

Hopefully I wont pile the pounds on with this pregnancy, less to lose after.

Moominsarescary Wed 14-Sep-11 13:55:44

I've lost over a stone each time and the baby has been fine

IvoryRoses Wed 14-Sep-11 17:42:12

I am 13 wks & 6 days and I've lost over a stone due to severe morning sickness. I was also very worried but the baby looked fine on the scan and I was assured that the baby will get what it needs from somewhere! I'm sure the baby is sick of potato now tho! But it's all I can manage sad

bigeyes Wed 14-Sep-11 18:37:54

buterflies i am a size 18 too!

NotFromConcentrate Wed 14-Sep-11 18:44:03

Butterflies - I lost almost 3 stone in the 3 months before I discovered I was pennant (now 14+1). When I spoke with my GP and midwife, they said it was fine to continue so long as I increased my intake to at least 1800 kcals per day (was previously having 1100), and took advice from the gym re what equipment I should avoid. So as long as you're sensible, and you're medically fit for exercise, you should be fine grin

(FWIW I've really exceeded my 1800 kcals daily goal, and went to the gym today for the first time in 9 weeks, so I should take my own advice!!!!)

heatherwil Wed 14-Sep-11 22:04:25

I lost 6lb in the second trimester; feeling sick all the time made my appetite disappear. I'm now 21 weeks and have put 8lb on since then, so only weigh slightly more than when I got pregnant. I've got a nice bump and baby is kicking away quite happily. Don't worry :-)

Oeisha Wed 14-Sep-11 22:20:55

I'm now 22wks and have lost weight. MS was not that bad for me, but LO will not really allow me to 'overeat' or eat anything all that 'unhealthy'. Have also stepped up exercise regime, so that explains some of it. I was also 'overweight' pre-pg (BMI of 27), not enough to worry them though.
I am now however 2lb below pre-pg weight, which taking into account LO is quite a lot of weight gone for not really trying to loose weight.
Anyway, despite my worries, noone else is worried. Am gonna talk to MW at 25wks appointment, but having briefly spoken to one today (after a lack of movement scare) my anxieties seem to be unfounded.
Basically, if you're not being sick too much, are eating healthily and in decent quantities and are exercising moderatly, there's nothing to worry about.
I found this site really helpful.
Any concerns though, talkto your MW. It's what they're there for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now