Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nervous about telling work, should i wait?

(6 Posts)
susey Tue 13-Sep-11 18:00:34

i am planning to tell work next week that i'm pregnant. I'm going to tell my boss face to face and i've also drafted written confirmation for them. I'll only be 13 wks, and I don't legally need to tell them til December (due end of March). Thing is, we're a tiny organisation (under 10 staff) so they really need to start planning what to do about me being on maternity leave imo. But i'm really nervous telling them sooner gives them more time to plan a way to "legitimise" getting rid of me.

Can anyone reassure me with stories of what happened to them in similar circumstances? I'm almost certain i'll be the first woman they've ever had go on maternity leave. My bosses are all male. Thanks everyone!

sleepevader Tue 13-Sep-11 18:05:35

I think the sooner they know the greater Protection you have if they do try and discriminate.

I would tell boss face to face and then send confirmation email. You don't have to discuss leave at this stage but if asked be prepared.

Easier to take full year and give notice to return early than vice versa.

Good luck

susey Tue 13-Sep-11 18:10:28

Thanks sleepevader. I've decided already i want full year off, so going to put as much as poss in the email, to make it straightforward for them to start planning.

spannermary Tue 13-Sep-11 18:36:43

I told the boss early and she was great. I'm 10 weeks but work on a physical environment with kids so my team needed to know. Loads of morning sickness!

I'm wondering how to cope with no money after mat pay runs out - I'm the main billpayer at our house sad

Iggi999 Tue 13-Sep-11 18:40:25

If you're worried about your job, telling them quickly is better protection, as another poster said. The only way they can claim they weren't discriminating against you (if a case came up) is by saying "well WE didn't have a clue she was pg" - so let them know.

susey Tue 13-Sep-11 18:54:39

Spannermary, i feel you, i earn way more than my partner so money worries are inevitable...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now