Talk

Advanced search

raw meat

(4 Posts)
meganmay Tue 13-Sep-11 17:56:00

just wondering if anyone knows how safe it is for my daughter to be working as a butcher now that she is pregnant

Thanks

Paulette

msnovember Tue 13-Sep-11 20:04:57

I can't see how her pregnancy would make any difference - presumably she practices good hygiene, just like she always has?

Oeisha Tue 13-Sep-11 21:49:47

Butchery is fine. Assuming she's following all the usual food hygiene practice. Only 'area for concern' is if she gets tired/dizzy spells, but she may not. I work on a meat counter in a supermarket and have a 5h in any one day standing limit. Oh, and shell need regular access to water so she doesn't get dehydrated. All highly feasable. If at all concerned, have a look at the HSE website, or contact them. They'll advise on how to write up a risk assessment for her.

My only risk - and one that IS a risk for everyone, not just pg women, just worse in pg, was the same counter deals with fish. Fish like mackerel have histamines in them, they get higher as the fish degrades (hense why you should never cook & eat a 'warm' fish...keep the buggers cool ppl). That and it's a loooong way to the front of the counters and LO just isn't liking being leaned on...at all...

meganmay Thu 15-Sep-11 10:09:34

thanks for ur help, I've said the same to her, wash hands regularly and wear gloves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now