Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech at 34 weeks - any chance of him turning??

(21 Posts)
natwebb79 Tue 13-Sep-11 11:54:32

Just wondered if anyone has had a baby turn naturally (I'm prepared to be scrubbing the floor on all fours for a couple of weeks! smile) when they've been breech at 34 weeks? I had a lovely midwife centre water birth planned and it's starting to look like elective CS instead - doh! Any positive experiences would be much appreaciated smile

icravecheese Tue 13-Sep-11 12:03:20

can't comment personally, but my best friend had breech babies at 34wks for both her pregs....both turned at around 36wks. She didnt spend loads of time scrubbing floors either, just did lots of walking & hey presto - they turned in time for successful water births. Good luck!

natwebb79 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:07:26

Ooh good - I like a nice long walk so will carry on. Fingers crossed! Thanks! smile

Paschaelina Tue 13-Sep-11 12:22:19

Arse in the air did nothing for me last year but I did end up having the stubborn little sod darling turned by ECV at 37 weeks.

Rainday Tue 13-Sep-11 17:38:41

Not at that stage myself yet, but my sisters wee one turned at about 36 weeks so I know its possible

whackamole Tue 13-Sep-11 17:42:45

Yeah loads of time. I'm at 34 weeks and this little one keeps somersaulting every couple of days - transverse, breech, cephalic - you name it, he's been kicking me in that position!

NonnoMum Tue 13-Sep-11 17:47:12

I had reflexology.

and swam a bit.

natwebb79 Wed 14-Sep-11 08:47:10

Reflexology sounds interesting. I know somebody who tried acupuncture and it was successful BUT their baby was born 6 weeks early so not sure about that one!

amyboo Wed 14-Sep-11 09:49:22

Maybe..... I tried everything (hangin upside down, swimming, ECV) to get DS to turn and he wasn't having any of it. Worth a try though!

YoungMotherTubby Wed 14-Sep-11 11:26:38

At 34 weeks baby was still breech and seemed to have been that way for a while. Called midwife and said I was concerned/was there anything I could do and was told that there was plenty of time for it still to turn.
Anyway read a lot about it and decided I would give acupuncture a go. Found a practititioner - checked his credentials against some website and booked an appointment.
Lots of needles in my legs mostly and just lying on couch for half an hour. Baby had turned and no longer breech within 24 hours.
It may just have been a coincidence - of course I'll never know. But it can't do any harm.

buterflies Wed 14-Sep-11 12:18:56

Plenty of time, I was two weeks over wi my first and he was breech at 30+ weeks and was still trying to lie sideways too. That didnt feel too good at that point lol. But happy to say he did eventually get in position at the last minute. Good luck x

Shipscat Wed 14-Sep-11 12:24:18

One of my DTs managed to turn at 35 weeks - I have no idea how!

natwebb79 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:34:02

Thank you so much for your positive stories. He hasn't stopped wriggling and shifting about since yesterday so fingers crossed he'll be head down again by my 36 week check!

natwebb79 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:35:12

By the way - how did you know that they'd turned? Or was it only because the midwife could tell? I'm rubbish at identifying which body parts are jabbing me where at the moment smile

whizzyrocket Wed 14-Sep-11 12:51:10

I can generally tell where he is just by feeling- I think it helps that there's big head shape just below my ribs!

I did some research on this last week though and found something that said that at about 32 weeks something like 15% of babies were breech but by 39 it was more like 2%. So don't worry!

buterflies Wed 14-Sep-11 12:56:04

I could tell when he tried to lie sideways but it was midwife who said he had turned

NonnoMum Wed 14-Sep-11 21:02:05

The only way I could tell was when they scanned me (just before they were about to perform ECV). He went from extended breech to head down within 24 hours of the reflexology.

You can also try www.spinningbabies.com

Good luck.

HPonEverything Wed 14-Sep-11 21:16:35

You have loads of time but even if you do end up going for ECV it has a 7/10 success rate with an exceptionally low risk of it resulting in caesarian, according to the leaflet I received today (yes I'm sadly in this position ,or should I say, the baby is!!) so I quite fancy my chances with this next week....

Good luck!

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Sep-11 21:21:52

I am 34 wks with DC2. DS was undiagnosed breech, and I had an "extra" scan today to check position. DC2 is in perfect textbook head-down foetal position. Consultant said it was very unlikely (2-3% chance) that baby would turn now. Don't know if this would also be the likleyhood of a breech baby turning down; I'd reckon on a breech turning down being more likely as head is the heaviest bit.

moosemama Wed 14-Sep-11 21:50:41

My dd was breech at 37 weeks, had turned by 38.5, breech again at 39 then cephalic again at 40. Little sweetheart then turned out to be breech again when I went in for my pre-induction check at just under 42 weeks.

They turned her by ECV and I then spent an uncomfortable night sat bolt upright so she wouldn't turn again before I was induced in the morning. Fortunately she stayed head down and was born the following afternoon.

The first time was a complete surprise, I had no idea she was breech, but after that I could feel the difference - especially when she had one of her frequent bouts of hiccoughs! I also felt her her turn from breech to cephalic at around 40 weeks, as it involved lots of strong movements, was very uncomfortable, made me feel very sick and involved lots of jabbing elbows and knees.

blondieminx Wed 14-Sep-11 22:39:44

spend as much time as you can on all fours! Antenatal yoga is a winner. My DD was footling breech (stamping on my bladder, argh!) till 36+4. She turned the night before the presentation scan ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now