Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Would a maternity pillow help with my nighttime achyness?

(16 Posts)
HidingInTheUndergrowth Tue 13-Sep-11 09:24:31

I'm only 14 weeks but am already having problems sleeping as I am waking up with really achy hips, legs and arms. This is particularly bad on my right side and I find I can only sleep comfortably for any length of time on my left side.

It seems really early to be buying a maternity pillow but I am wondering if the great hive mind of mumsnet thinks it might help. I am really starting to find the lack of sleep and constant achyness a bit much and it's making me just feel tired and crap all the time when I was hoping for blooming and radiant! hmm

Grumpla Tue 13-Sep-11 09:27:58

By the end of my first pregnancy I had a sausage-type pillow plus two feather bolsters to lean against / keep thrashy DP away from
Bump, plus a lightweight pillow between my legs. Experiment with an extra pillow between legs or top leg balanced on it- that might be enough at the moment as that really helped with my sore hips.

To be honest ANYTHING you think will help you sleep better during pregnancy is worth a try!

FlipFantasia Tue 13-Sep-11 09:32:40

My dreamgenii pillow was a total sanity saver in my first pregnancy - it saved me from lack of sleep/achey legs & hips. I really loved it, though towards the end was supplementing with some extra cushions. It's not cheap but I really think it was one of the best purchases I made, especially it's a great feeding pillow after birth as well.

I'm now 12 weeks and starting to think I should dig it out again as some mornings I have quite achey legs.

HidingInTheUndergrowth Tue 13-Sep-11 10:40:46

Thank you! I was starting to feel like I was being a bit of a wuss as all the books and stuff just talk about it being difficult to sleep in late pregnancy. Nobody seems to mention that it can get tricky by the end of the first trimester.

It's a relief to know I'm not the only one. I think I might go out and buy a pillow today smile

dinkystinky Tue 13-Sep-11 10:42:25

I second the dreamgenii - didnt have it for first pregnancy but had it for second and it was brilliant!

EsmeWeatherwax Tue 13-Sep-11 10:53:52

Yes! I poas and immediately got my old body pillow down from the loft. It's a total lifesaver, I even named it after my fantasy rock star bloke. I start aching really early too, its not uncommon, but keep an eye open for spd, and get physio at the first sign if it!

StickyGhost Tue 13-Sep-11 10:55:22

Definately get one, who cares how far along u are, I also found mine a real help. Ebay one!
I found I got very bad legs like urs in the first trimester as well, I also tried wearing flight socks, using a hot water bottle and a bit of (usually self-)massage did help a bit. Nearing the end, my legs have never been so bad as they were during the first trimester, so hopefully urs will improve as well!

Scheherezade Tue 13-Sep-11 11:03:21

I found a normal pillow is easily lng enough to fit under bump and betrween legs.

I get bad hip pain (am 36 weeks) and I am making full use of my hot water bottle!

MrsHuxtable Tue 13-Sep-11 11:36:34

I had the same problem as you and just bought the dreamgenii pillow a few days ago. It is amazing and supports you in all the right places. Makes all the difference!

natwebb79 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:00:19

I've had my Mum E Pillow since week 12 and it is WONDERFUL!! smile

Nevercan Tue 13-Sep-11 14:35:00

I used normal pillows to put under my bump and between legs which made sleeping much more comfy

lovemysleep Tue 13-Sep-11 20:49:42

definately the DreamGenii! got one early on for the same reasons as you, and it is a godsend. As I've got bigger (now37wks), I've added a mattress topper aswell as a duvet on top of that to help with my achy hips too.

you can also use your pillow for bf....

BedHog Tue 13-Sep-11 20:58:45

I'd recommend getting a memory foam mattress topper if you don't have one already. I didn't have one for my first pregnancy but do this time and it's made a real difference.

I also have a selection of normal pillows and various soft toys which I arrange around my body. Haven't tried the DreamGenii so can't comment on that.

By the way, it's better to sleep on your left side anyway - helps the baby get into the best position for birth and is better for your circulation (afaik)

Oeisha Tue 13-Sep-11 21:20:50

Another Dreamgenii fan here. Some nights I'm just wiggling about and even the dreamgenii doesn't help (ends up on my face or on the floor) but most nights it's a godsend. The dreamgenii is expensive, but after 2 nights decent sleep it'd made up for the cost. As lovemysleep says, it turns into a BF pillow too. Oh, and my cats love it...

I got mine about 13wks and it's pretty much ceased the hip pains I was having. I'm also finding the back pillow provides a nice upright for a hotwater bottle when I've had a cold/my back aches (previous injury). My only issue now really is a very active little girl in the depths of night, nerfing me in the cervix/bladder and kicking my kidneys (she's already head-down at 22wks, seems to like it) 'til I wake and then keeping it up on and off for about 90mins.

Sleeping on your left means you're decreasing the pressure on the major blood vessels in your back/abdo, and thus means you're less likely to get leg issues as well as meaning you're less likely to feel feint when you get up.

sleepevader Tue 13-Sep-11 21:30:17

I hate my dreamgenii. Had it for about 12wks now and just cant get on with it. Will give it one more attempt and then Im ebaying it on the next free listings weekend.

Been using a v neck pillow on top of normal pillow for head. Wedge for bump and normal pillow for legs..............its a mission and I still get real bad side pain.

Oeisha Tue 13-Sep-11 21:33:00

Ohh, 2 similar requests in 1 evening, so I'll link you guys the other thread too, just so you can get all the pearls fo wisdom you can. LINK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now