Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When is a good time?!?

(9 Posts)
Yawner247 Mon 12-Sep-11 23:45:15

Hey people...just wondering if you could enlighten me?!? We have a dd who is four months old and my husband is discussing when the next one is coming!!!! Haha!! So my question is what is a good age gap between children...is it close together two years apart or more...when is it a good time to try for a second beautiful baby :0) ?!? Just wondered what experiences people have had to try and gauge when!!!

exoticfruits Tue 13-Sep-11 00:04:58

It depends entirely on personality. My 2 with the gap of 8yrs get on better than the gap of less then 2 years. But the small gap gives a playmate and makes outings easy to suit all.

metalelephant Tue 13-Sep-11 00:26:02

It depends also on whether you want to go back to work and childcare arrangements: two children at nursery full time could be £2000 per month, do you may want to have the second child once eldest is at school.

I was keen to have a not too large age difference between my two (expecting DD in the next few weeks and DS is 3) so they can play together... But then again my sister is only a year younger and we were practically on each other's throats as children.

metalelephant Tue 13-Sep-11 00:27:05

do you may want = so you may want

whizzyrocket Tue 13-Sep-11 13:30:19

We plan on having a gap of 2-3 years between our children. I've noticed that the children I know who have that sort of gap between brothers and sisters get on well. I really didn't get on well with my little sister (five years younger) when I was small though- I think I'd grown used to being the youngest and couldn't stand what I saw as her getting preferential treatment.... I don't think it helped that she did!

Sandra2011 Tue 13-Sep-11 13:37:36

We're going to have 2 and half years gap between our sons.

I'm 8 years older than my sister and I thought we never had anything in common as a child.
Now as adults age gap doesn't matter so much.

BikeRunSki Tue 13-Sep-11 13:38:28

I will have 3 yrs and a month when DC2 is born next month. DS was 3 last week. Compared to many of our peers these seems quite a big gap - I know lots of 18mths-2 yr gaps including a set of twins with a 17 month younger singleton and another on the way, which will be another 17 month gap. I fear that DS will be too used to being a spoilt only child after 3 years - if not materially, then he doesn't have to fight for my attention.

However, DH wasn't ready until the start of this year.

And it means that when I go back to work after DC2, then we'll only have one year of paying 2 lots of nursery fees, and DS will be getting his early years funding by then too; depends if childcare costs are important to you.

Yawner247 Sun 18-Sep-11 22:11:23

Very sorry for the delayed response, thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas! grin

spookshowangellovesit Mon 19-Sep-11 08:12:25

my dd's have 2 years and get on pretty well most of the time. my dd and son have 4 years which i though was the dreaded age gap ie to much. but so far they get on ok. there will be 5 yrs between son and this one and 11yrs between dd1 and this one shock so i am hoping it all works out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now