Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PLEASE help!

(21 Posts)
mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:06:19

I am soo scared! Me and my partner broke up, I had sex with someone else on the 18th july, started period on 19th, I was on for a little over a week and by that time I was back with my partner. I got pregnant around the time and my scan showed I was just under 7 weeks which was a week after I had sex with this other person but can't remember if I had sex with my partner at tht time. The scan is not 100% accurate as its so early on I'm just wondering what the chance of this other person is to being the dad. I am so scared and hope its not! Is my partner more likely to of gt me preg when I came off my period or could 'someone' else of gt me preg day before my period but still had period! Pleasee I'm going out my mind!

captainbarnacle Mon 12-Sep-11 16:08:52

If you had your period, it would have shed the lining and you shouldn't have become pregnant from the other man.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:12:52

But sperm can live inside for 7 days. That's wts freaking me out.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:12:54

But sperm can live inside for 7 days. That's wts freaking me out.

grubbalo Mon 12-Sep-11 16:15:06

Remember too that 7 weeks pregnant means 7 weeks from the start of your last period, i.e you conceived 5 weeks before your scan. So that should mean it is definitely your partner's!

BedHog Mon 12-Sep-11 16:18:32

If the scan said 7 weeks it actually means you conceived about 5 weeks ago, as they base the dates on the start of your last period, roughly 2 weeks before conception. In which case it's much more likely that your partner is the dad.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:19:25

Its been 8 weeks since first day of last menstrual period and the scan showed just under 7 weeks gone.

ExpensivePants Mon 12-Sep-11 16:21:38

It's highly unlikely from what you've said that the baby is the other man's. It'd be a hardy sperm that would survive a period I would have thought, apart from the timing etc.

Relax, I think your partner is going to be a daddy smile

Marne Mon 12-Sep-11 16:24:16

I thought sperm lives for 4 days (not 7)? hmm

If you had a period after you slept with the other man then its pretty likely that your partner is the dad.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:26:45

I hope he is I just can't stop thinking about it, I already have a son with my partner I just rly am worrying

whizzyrocket Mon 12-Sep-11 16:28:46

It can live for 7.. depending on whether it's a x or y chromosome sperm. Can't remember which. It's how some people say you can determine whether you're going to have a girl or a boy.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:34:23

Yes the X (girl) can last longer then the Y (male)

grubbalo Mon 12-Sep-11 16:34:30

So if the scan says just under 7 weeks gone, the sperm conceived the egg just under 5 weeks ago - you're fine

bozemum Mon 12-Sep-11 16:39:02

do you know your typical cycle length? I think you could only get pregnant from the day before your period is due, if your cycle is less than 21 days. Cos that would mean you would ovulate 7 days after your period started. And in theory sperm could live 7 days. But I think this is very very unlikely anyway.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:40:22

How come just under 5 weeks ago?

grubbalo Mon 12-Sep-11 16:52:27

Because when they say "7 weeks gone" they mean 7 weeks since the start of your last period. That's just how it works. And typically people have a 28 day cycle, and conceive on about day 14 (ie 2 weeks after the start of their period). The time from conception to birth is actually only 38 weeks.

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 16:59:11

I'm confused, thanx for the help but its been 8 weeks since the first day of my last period and they said the baby is measuring just under 7 weeks.but like someone said, I had period day after I slept with the other man, so sperm wouldn't be able to last in that environment. I hope .

saoirse86 Mon 12-Sep-11 17:46:03

The dates of the scan aren't 100% accurate so that could be why it says 7 weeks rather than 8, or it could be you ovulated later than day 14 which is why their dates are different to yours. In either of those cases it would still be your partner who's the dad.

It doesn't seem like it would be possible for the other man to be the dad. You would have ovulated about 2 weeks before having sex with him so it would be too late for that egg to be fertilised. Or the sperm would have to survive the whole of that period and you would have had to have ovulated early too. If your cycle is normally 28 days then the early ovulation is pretty much out of the question. And as you said your period was over a week then the sperm would have had to hang around for maybe 10 days through a period which is pretty much impossible.

I'd put some serious money on your partner being the dad, not the other man.

Congratulations! smile

mumt1 Mon 12-Sep-11 17:51:35

Thankyou! That has really put my mind at ease! X

WorkingItOutAsIGo Mon 12-Sep-11 17:52:00

When they say you are 7 weeks pregnant that actually means conception happened 5 weeks ago. You always have to take off 2 weeks to get the actual date you got pregnant. It's just the funny way they count it.

So you can relax totally.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Mon 12-Sep-11 17:52:40

And congratulations!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now