Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal thickness - what was your risk?

(36 Posts)
bozemum Mon 12-Sep-11 16:03:31

Hi,
I'm curious to see what risk you were given after your nuchal test. This is my second baby and was measured at 1.8mm at 12.4 weeks. But my previous baby was only 0.6mm at 11.5 weeks. I can't help feeling slightly concerned that its not similar to last time. Although I know 1.8mm is supposed to be ok. Got a week to wait until results come in.
Can anyone with similar thickness measurement remember what there overall risk factor was?
Thanks

KikiRC Mon 12-Sep-11 16:14:58

Mine was 1.4mm at 11.6 weeks- and I just got my results back and I'm at low risk (1:5,200), so try not to worry too much. (I'm 33, if that helps.)

Don't they say below 2.5mm is usually considered low-risk? 1.8 doesn't sound high, especially as you're nearly a week further on than when you were tested last time.

I know it's impossible not to worry though. Hope all goes well. X

CocoPopsAddict Mon 12-Sep-11 16:18:52

Mine was 1.6mm at 13 weeks.

My risk factor with age and blood tests included was 1 in 1400.

cherrysodalover Mon 12-Sep-11 16:19:51

Mine was 10% above the normal range which was 2.5 i recall-no problems but we did have 20 week scan to check for heart probs.I think your bloods are more pertinent.
Yours sounds low to me.it is natural to worry.

Mine was 1.1mm and the risk (combined) was 1:21,000

icravecheese Mon 12-Sep-11 16:31:17

This is the 1st preg I've had a nuchal scan with (3rd baby) & my measurement was 1.7mm at 12+3wks. I am 32, had bloods done too, & my risk came back at 1:12,000. Midwife told me its 2.5mm or over that is considered higher risk. Hope that helps reassure a little...

TheNationalTruss Mon 12-Sep-11 16:33:49

3mm at 13 weeks. Risk was 1 in 265. He's fine.

Means v little without the blood results.

bozemum Mon 12-Sep-11 16:34:17

thanks icravecheese. You must be fairly similar to me. 1.8mm at 12.4week and I'm 32. So just depends on what the bloods do to the overall risk. Guess I just have to be patient.

icravecheese Mon 12-Sep-11 16:41:40

No probs bozemum - have to admit I too panicked when I had the nuchal scan, wondering what the measurement meant. Its daft because I never had a nuchal scan with my 1st 2 babies (didnt offer it as free & you had to travel miles to a city hospital & pay a fortune to get it done so I never bothered) so I was none the wiser with them & never worried about it at all. I then had it this 3rd preg & spent time btwn scan & results coming thru stressing about it!

In our area even though they tell you it takes a week or two to get results, if you do come out high risk (which I'm sure you won't) then they call after just a few days... if you're lower risk then they don't bother phoning thru the results - you just get a letter in the post after a few wks.

Try not to worry too much waiting for results - altho easier said than done I know! Your age + measurement are pretty low risk to begin with, so am sure combined with bloods all will be fine x

bozemum Mon 12-Sep-11 16:51:24

thanks for the reassurance. i crave cheese too btw!

feekerry Mon 12-Sep-11 17:00:22

Mine was 2.4 had my scan last week and I was really worried about it as most other that i've seen or read about have been lower than that. Hospital said dont worry as still within normal and means little without blood results so fingers crossed there okay.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 12-Sep-11 17:10:54

I don't know! I don't think I was told, should I have been? They just wrote to us and said the risk of Downs (I assume based on bloods + nuchal measurements?) was 1:100,000. I now feel like an ignoramus and Bad Mother for not having asked for more information.

HardCheese Mon 12-Sep-11 17:12:24

I had my scan last week at 12+2 and it was 1.3 - the sonographer said they only worried about anything over 3. But am still waiting nervously for the blood results, as I am 39 and this is my first pregnancy. They are supposed to phone me within five days if the combined results indicated a high risk, but I was too distracted by seeing my baby for the first time to ask whether this meant five working days, or included the weekend. I have spent the last few days since the scan alternately beaming with happiness and poring over the scan pictures, and sick with worry. Every time the phone rings I feel sick. Best wishes to anyone else waiting.

HardCheese Tue 13-Sep-11 16:37:52

To add to my last - the 1.3 mm nuchal measurement plus my bloods plus my age gave me a 1 in 2,832 risk. I just found out today. I am very, very relieved, as I am 39, and the risk based purely on my age, as given me by my midwife, was 1 in 138 - so this feels like a real gain, as I was so worried.

Though I am slightly jealous just looking at the tiny, tiny risks other people (presumably much younger than I am) have been given... envy

feekerry Tue 13-Sep-11 16:55:46

Ye thats low hard cheese congratulations! I'm nervously waiting on my letter- hoping I dont get a phone call tho nothing yet. As I mentioned my measurements were 2.3ish I think but hoping with my age and bloods i'll still get a low overall risk. Fingers crossed.

HotPinkGingham Tue 13-Sep-11 17:31:18

bozemum I had mine today at 12w6d and it was 1.8mm. They said anything under 3mm is normal. Haven't had the bloods yet, but he looked at other things (nasal bone development, stomach/bladder fluid) and taken together said that he wasn't worried. I still won't relax until I get the combined result though - hope it is a very low probability! I didn't realise you could get 1:100,000 - most of my friends have been in the 1:2500 or so mark (I am mid thirties)

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 13-Sep-11 17:33:51

I was the one with the 1:100,000 risk - perhaps it's a typo and meant to be 1:10,000?! I am 30.

HotPinkGingham Tue 13-Sep-11 17:41:54

Loveinacoldclimate - I'm sure it is right, I'd just never heard of such a good one! Congratulations to you!!

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 13-Sep-11 17:46:33

Thank you, HotPinkGingham - I know I can always be the "1" no matter what the odds but was reassuring nonetheless. Good luck with your results.

HardCheese Tue 13-Sep-11 17:48:50

Thanks, Feekerry! I subsequently had an unbelievably stressful day at work, with meetings full of people shouting at one another, and I probably looked like a madwoman because I kept beaming to myself. (No one at work knows I'm pregnant.) I was in exactly the same situation as you, dreading the phone call, and then my midwife's number flashed up mid-morning, and I nearly died - but in fact, she had just hunted up my results at the hospital and was phoning with the good news.

Best of luck to you and your baby, Feekerry. And to everyone who is waiting for results. Joy and relief is making me feel intense kinship with everyone in the same situation.

RickGhastley Tue 13-Sep-11 17:55:28

I'm 19 weeks PG and had a nuchal measurement of 1.6mm
My age related risk is 1:200 (I'm 37)

My combined test risk (with bloods) is 1:250 which my hospital classes as "low risk" - sounds rather high to me but I'm trying not to think about it especially as everyone I know has risks of 1 in thousands (even the old birds!)

shinysideup Tue 13-Sep-11 18:01:37

Hi, I'm 45 and just got my results today. My measurement was 1.2 and the age related risk was 1:28 (gulp) but with the combined risk on my letter today was 1:553 low risk.
I can't stop smiling - am so relieved.

goodnightmoon Tue 13-Sep-11 21:12:42

my current pregnancy came in at 1.4mm and with blood test gave me 1:1056. I'm 41 so that sounded good. Background (age) risk is something like 1:53. The tests aren't perfect though, are they?

scaryg Tue 13-Sep-11 22:30:03

Mine was 5.3mm at 12+3 was given 1 in 3 risk then a day later had a cvs and it was 7.5mm given 1 in 2 no bloods were taken midwife said there was no point it wouldn't change the risk factor, had the cvs and I'm the lucky 1 not to have Chromosome problems.

Have my 20 week scan tomorrow so hopefully everything else is ok.

Just remember your more likely to NOT have a problem then have a problem.

chipmonkey Tue 13-Sep-11 23:49:25

RickGhastley my result was 1: 189
dd is perfectly healthy (although she was born 12 weeks prem)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now