Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's supplied at the hospital?

(20 Posts)
MixedBerries Mon 12-Sep-11 12:11:28

Hi all. Finally getting around to packing my labour bag now I'm almost 37 weeks...but I was wondering how much do I need to pack for the baby? More specifically, does anyone know what they supply you with at the hospital usually? Do I need to take my own cotton wool and nappies etc? Would be great if they supply them but I have my doubts. \Just that the less I need to carry along, the better. Any knowledge/experience gratefully received.

DeepLeafEverything Mon 12-Sep-11 12:13:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JennyPiccolo Mon 12-Sep-11 12:31:14

Think it depends on the hospital. You got nappies and stuff when i gave birth. They gave us a list of what to bring at antenatal class.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 12-Sep-11 12:32:42

The only exception is they have to feed you.

Still pack stuff to eat cause you can end up missing out!

GoodrickeCBlock Mon 12-Sep-11 12:36:40

If you go into hospital in an emergency they do have some basic to just see you through the first few hours but then they would be looking for you to supply everything from then on, usually after a partner has been able to go home and collect a few bits and bobs.

If you are going in normal circumstances they would expect you to have

a few outfits for baby, including something warm to wear home
a pack of newborn sized nappies
cotton wool
nappy sacks
towel for baby
scratch mitts (I didn't but everyone else had them!)
formula if bottle feeding (or so I've been told)

Also, whilst they will feed you they usually won't feed your partner, so pack lots of cereal bars or things for your partner/birth partner to eat. My DH was starving after DD1 was born. The hospital gave me toast but it was 3am, everything was shut and he'd missed lunch and dinner poor bloke!

piprabbit Mon 12-Sep-11 12:39:06

Nothing.
At all.

Except my meals.

Take everything, including some drinks and snacks for keeping you going while you BF in the night.

Get organised so that your DP visits daily and takes home dirty nighties etc. and returns clean ones. Ditto baby clothes.

If you can't cope with lugging everything in when you go into labour, pack a supplementary bag with all the stuff you'll need if you are kept in for more than a day. Leave it at home and tell the first visitor to bring it with them as soon as you know you might need it.

Sugarkane Mon 12-Sep-11 12:40:06

At my hospital they supplied nappies, cotton wool, blankets, nappy sacks and maternity pads, so I think it depends on your hospital and you would be best to ask your MW at next appointment.

piprabbit Mon 12-Sep-11 12:40:51

Also - make a note of the nearest 24 hour Tesco (or similar) your DP will be able to pop in and buy anything you suddenly need (different size baby clothes, bottles, nappies, more maternity pads) and bring them to you.

DeepLeafEverything Mon 12-Sep-11 12:42:08

LornaGoon Mon 12-Sep-11 13:55:16

I was given some maternity pads for my overnight stay with DS because I went through mine at a rate of knots.

The only thing that would have been useful, that they didn't supply, was a sheet for the baby's crib whilst in hospital. I had a lovely blanket for him but not a sheet to cover the plastic matress (I used a clean, new towel I think).

They did provide food, which actually looked ok, but couldn't cater to my food intolerances, so DP brought me in stuff.

BedHog Mon 12-Sep-11 14:12:07

They usually have some equipment, but not much in the way of consumables. They gave me, or gave me use of....

Steriliser
Breast pump
Cups for feeding
Liquid formula
Towels
Food and drinks
Vases for flowers
Blankets and all bedding

mosschops30 Mon 12-Sep-11 14:14:54

Ours provided:
Formula
Cotton wool
The most amazing maternity pads (i stole loads)
Blankets/sheets

pozzled Mon 12-Sep-11 14:15:40

Very little.

Food for me.
Towels for a shower/bath after the birth.
All bedding, including sheets etc for the cot.

Valiant1 Mon 12-Sep-11 14:18:03

nothing at North Staffs .......
A bounty pack!!!! and a bill for the photo lady shock

ginmakesitallok Mon 12-Sep-11 14:22:53

I got nappies, cotton wool, maternity pads, everything you needed except clothes! Ask your midwife what to expect.

sprinkles77 Mon 12-Sep-11 14:44:03

Assume absolutely nothing. You could ask the midwife, but she might not have the correct information. If you stay over night bring your own towel, possibly extra blankets, food and pillow. If it turns out they provide what you need, so much the better.

notcitrus Mon 12-Sep-11 15:10:49

Assume they provide nothing (food for you and partners, nappies, wipes, clothes, comfy pillow...)
Then you may be pleasantly surprised - I ended up with 16 pillows holding me in position, and there was a trolley with nappies and cotton wool balls, but I hear the rest of the postnatal ward didn't have any spare pillows or any baby stuff.

DeepLeafEverything Mon 12-Sep-11 15:16:35

MixedBerries Mon 12-Sep-11 15:28:13

Oh goodness. I've assembled what I plan on taking for the baby and it looks like a 2 week camping trip. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I like the idea of having a bag for the first day and then getting OH to bring a second bag in later if needed.
I know the obvious answer is to ask the midwife what they supply but she gave us the wrong time of the labour ward tour 2 months in a row so I don't really trust her on practical details!
Better go back upstairs and plod on slowly....
Thanks again!

CeeYouNextTuesday Mon 12-Sep-11 20:39:07

In Colchester, expect nothing, especially decent food!
Pack every thing you will need. Take Maternity pads, cotton wool, clothes....in the case of when I had DD, thermal underwear, and stock up on the numbers for any local takeaway restaurants that will deliver! CGH didnt have a microwave that I could use, or a fridge, and the food is dreadful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now