Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Different symptoms for 2nd pregnancy= different gender?

(12 Posts)
DialMforMummy Sun 11-Sep-11 21:02:13

Ok so I am just 6 weeks pg or so with DC2, and I know I should not count my chicken yet and all that but I have a question nagging my hormonal and irrational head. Here it goes:
first time round I had absolutely 0 sickness/ nausea but this time I have had a bit of it, not often but on a few occasions, I felt really yucky and nauseous.
If you have had one of each, did you have different symptoms for boy and girl?
Scarier still, could it be twins?

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 11-Sep-11 21:03:12

Just about all mine were different and yes different sex.

addictedtofrazzles Sun 11-Sep-11 21:04:54

Two different pregnancies here and two boys!

Petesmum Sun 11-Sep-11 21:11:57

I'm 25 weeks with DC2. This one's a girl and I've felt much worse this time round. With DS I felt queasy for 16 weeks but wasn't really ill. With DD I'm exhausted, still being ill and feel like I've flu (all blood tests ok so it's nothing medical)
Popular opinion with other mum's at work is that a sicky / nauseaous pregnancy strongly suggests a girl - could be coincidence though!
And I must also confess that there's an 8 year gap between DC's 1 & 2 so it could just be that I'm getting old!! grin

nuttyone Sun 11-Sep-11 21:17:52

Totally different second time round and hoping it doesn't mean its a different sex. I'm 39+4 now and everyone says it 'looks like a boy'. Hoping this isn't the case as i would quite like another girl wink.

supergreenuk Sun 11-Sep-11 21:24:48

Dc 1 was a girl and I am currently pregnant with ds. Pregnancies have felt very similar. Not carrying different, sickness both times etc.

outthere Mon 12-Sep-11 08:09:56

I had absolutely no sickness with my twin boys but got very sick this time around... this one's a boy too.

msbuggywinkle Mon 12-Sep-11 08:50:04

3 very different pregnancies, 3 girls!

SenoritaViva Mon 12-Sep-11 08:51:29

First pregnancy like a breeze and a girl. Second felt ill much more tired etc. and it's a boy.

Bumpsadaisie Mon 12-Sep-11 11:03:25

With DD was terribly sick for first trimester - off work for 7/8 weeks. It wore off in second tri but still didn't feel great - photos of me from that time show me looking pretty tired/ill. Third trimester very tired again - dreadful heartburn and reflux and really struggled. On the plus side, my asthma and eczema improved greatly!

This baby (due in a month!) is a DS and I have been much better this pregnancy. First trimester was still hard but only had the really awful sickness for three weeks. By about 14 weeks was feeling much better and from 18 to 30 weeks or so actually felt really good! From 30 weeks I have started to feel very tired (to be expected) but heartburn and reflux still not too bad (am 35 weeks now) and sleep not too bad. On the down side, no improvement in eczema.

So I think my DS has been easier to carry than my DD was.

The other variable was that I was working full time with my first, whereas this time I am working three days a week, at home whereever possible. And I think on balance, even though I have a toddler DD to run after, it has been easier than trying to work full time.

Or it may be that I am just tougher and more battle hardened this time, after two years of being a mother to my DD, ho ho!

GoodrickeCBlock Mon 12-Sep-11 12:45:15

I have a theory about this.

My friend recently had DC3 and was convinced it was going to be a boy because the pregnancy felt really similar to when she had her DS. She said the bump was a similar shape, the cravings were similar and she felt certain that this would be a boy.

I had two very different pregnancies but have 2DD. The bumps were very different, one all up front, one just everywhere, the sickness and cravings were totally different but they were both girls.

So my theory is that women with one of each often think the difference is down to one being a boy and one being a girl, because that is the most obvious difference between the two babies. When in actual fact pregnancies are just different.

If it was a reliable way to tell the sex no-one would need to ask at the 20 week scan!

mymumdom Mon 12-Sep-11 12:50:52

My first 3 pregnancies were all different and were all girls. The 4th was a lot like the 2nd and produced a boy.
The only thing was I got very depressed during each female pregnancy but didn't suffer at all with my boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now