Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what would you do?

(13 Posts)
gapants Sun 11-Sep-11 18:36:50

I am a sort of teacher and I manage my own diary, there is a maternity cover person who I have to hand over to. I am due to stop work in 3 weeks time, but as I am already 34 weeks pregnant, and this is my 3rd baby I am shattered and feel like I want to stop earlier.

I have SPD, and have a physio appointment next week to help with that. I am not sleeping well, and have terrible heart burn. I just feel a wreck. I feel like I would be letting everyone down by stopping early, but the idea of going into work everyday, working the teachers and children-so quite full on- would be too much.

What would you do? Should I just say look I am beat, I need to finish up early, sorry. Or should I shoulder on?

ThroughTheRoundWindow Sun 11-Sep-11 18:48:45

You have to put yourself and baby first. Most employers do understand and will find a way to manage. You mustn't feel guilty (hard I know).

Alternatively can you reduce hours for last three weeks to do handover? Just mornings maybe, or 3 days a week?

londonmackem Sun 11-Sep-11 19:02:02

I wouln't hesitate as you come first along with your baby. No child's education will be hugely affected.
If you decide to reduce your hours check this won't affect maternity pay as I assume you get school holidays so don't have annual leave to take.

Mum2be79 Sun 11-Sep-11 19:04:51

Go! I'm due 1st January and going on Maternity on 2nd December. If I need to, I WILL stop earlier. Your health and the baby's health must come first. As said, no child's education will be drastically damaged by you deciding to go earlier. And anyhow, probably better now than later in terms of children's familiarity and routines. (I'm a teacher too - Year 1!)

gapants Sun 11-Sep-11 19:24:10

Thanks for your posts, i think I will talk to my boss tomorrow, I know they will cover it, just feel like such a wuss!

This pregnancy has been HARD!

Spinosaur Sun 11-Sep-11 19:51:15

Hey, thank you for that post. I am a teacher too, my 3rd and 34 weeks! I have 3 weeks to go. I am knackered. The first week back has been shattering. I have back ache (moan) am sleeping badly and am feeling very heavy. I too am going to speak to my boss, I have been hinting that 3 weeks might not be possible and my cover is readyish to jump in so.....Just don't want to feel that I am causing problems for others, am in bed by 8.

phlossie Sun 11-Sep-11 19:55:58

I'd leave early. 3 extra weeks rest is worth so much more than slogging it out - just remember what hard work a newborn is! Plus you've got two more to look after so no wonder you feel a bit broken. So long as you're not totally landing work in it, I'd definitely call it quits now.

Rowood Sun 11-Sep-11 20:01:08

Go off sick so you get paid for it. blush

GlaikitFizzog Sun 11-Sep-11 20:07:39

You won't get sick pay if you go off 4 weeks before your due date. At 36 weeks maternity leave kicks in I've sock pay.

I'd speak to your boss tomorrow and see what can be done. Good luck with everything.

GlaikitFizzog Sun 11-Sep-11 20:08:36

instead of sick pay bloody phone!

gapants Sun 11-Sep-11 20:23:43

Ok, will talk to them tomorrow and maybe do this week but then no more... had not really thought about the money thing and it is coming up to Christmas.

Am off for a bath now. Thanks everyone. I know that the slack will be picked up by my co-workers. Oh well.

notlettingthefearshow Mon 12-Sep-11 02:29:00

I'd go off on mat leave early. You sound like you need a break to take care of yourself.

I'm a teacher and 25 wks pg with 1st baby, and will be going off at 36 weeks, but many colleages have gone at 32 to have a break before the birth. I think any decent employer half expects you may go early and will not be either surprised or annoyed. My boss has said so much a number of times.

phlossie Mon 12-Sep-11 13:18:05

Ditto notlettingthefearshow. I'm a swimming teacher. My maternity cover is waiting in the wings from New Year. I'm planning on working until 39 weeks, which sounds bonkers, but I'm nice and comfy and supported in a swimming pool, and I only teach 12 lessons a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now