Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Kitties being super soppy - anyone else noticed this?

(15 Posts)
spannermary Sun 11-Sep-11 13:15:55

Hi, all. I've noticed that since I've been pregnant (I'm still first trimester) my 2 cats have been really gentle and affectionate with me. They choose to sit next to me, or on my lap, far more than before, 'check on me' when I go to bed, and any incidents of light 'batting' or scratching have totally disappeared. My sister reckons they know what's going on, and their instincts to protect their master are coming to the fore. I don't know - I'm sure I'm not imagining it, but is it real - or is it wishful thinking??!

Anyone else found this - with cats or any other pet?

benne81 Sun 11-Sep-11 13:25:28

My cat is completely obsessed with my DH and barely bats an eyelid at me, there was a period during the second trimester that I convinced myself that she had some instinct about what was going on, she became a bit more interested in me and would sit on my knee more but that seems to have disappeared now as she can't get comfy on my massive bump and so she is definitely back to showing the love to DH and once again is completely uninterested in me or my bump (except at mealtimes).

KikiRC Sun 11-Sep-11 15:03:37

Yes, my cat knows, I'm sure. She's been very affectionate, and spending a lot more time curled up with me.

Crosshair Sun 11-Sep-11 16:42:23

My dog has started sleeping on my tummy/bump since about week 8. The baby often kicks him but he doesnt seem to notice.

newartriotstar Sun 11-Sep-11 16:46:25

My cat shows me a lot of love and "guards" me when I'm napping or in the bath/shower but she still wants to play rough and tumble! She's clearly aware of something going on with me but doesn't think it special enough for me to warrant special treatment!

YellowWallpaper Sun 11-Sep-11 16:47:48

My cats were all over me during my pregnancies. However, much as I would have liked their zealous attention to be down to affection, I suspect it was because my body was generating more heat and I was just a great lump of hot water bottle to them. Cats gravitate to heat.

lalabaloo Sun 11-Sep-11 17:18:39

My cat has been acting differently too, but I don't think I will be getting special treatment from her as she still sits on me and walks over my very sore chest! I think it is because me and my husband are acting differently and she picks up on it, she does the same if either of us is ill or going away, and also she is taking advantage of the fact I am sat still more!

catgirl1976 Sun 11-Sep-11 17:20:46

Yes - one of my cats is devoted to my DH and my DH only. I don't get a look in, but now I am pregnant he actually cuddles up with me and sits on my knee. He has become really affectionate - I hope he is as sweet with the baby when he arrives! Suppose it could be the heat thing but like to think he is a soppy old cat who is looking after me smile

LouisaJF Sun 11-Sep-11 20:49:05

Apparently your animals can pick up on your hormones. One of my cats has been physically attached to me since before I got my BFP! You are head lioness in their pack, and so when they detect your hormones it becomes their job to look after you.

Mine has taken to licking my stomach!

mummymccar Mon 12-Sep-11 10:46:02

Yep, all three of mine have become incredibly affectionate. Sitting on my lap (which they didn't do before) lying next to me with head on bump, sleeping in or next to the bed, sitting as close to me as possible. Even been getting lots of 'kisses' (licks). Must be the hormones!

saoirse86 Mon 12-Sep-11 10:53:39

My dog has always really been dp's dog but she got very protective of me during my pregnancy. Dp and I work together and take the dog to work, and on the walk in she'd walk next to me and constantly look up at me to check I was ok. She'd also stopped playing rough with me. And if I took her out she wouldn't run off and play with other dogs like usual, instead she'd stay by me.

Now I've had dd, she's back to normal, ignoring me, playing rough, running off, she couldn't care less. BUT she's very protective of dd.

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Mon 12-Sep-11 11:13:33

My horse was like this was I was pregnant. She was normally the quite one and got bullied by the other horses, when I was pregnant she turned very dominant over them when I was around, she wouldn't let the other horses near me. And she was really dopey with me, that was until I was 7months when she started being hormonal herself.

Got the vet out to give her check over, all the tests where clear and he put it down to her mirroring me.

Bless her, I thought it wad really sweet.

musicalmrs Mon 12-Sep-11 11:58:39

Mine are being much more soppy towards me. When I'm working from home, they come in from outside and come to 'check' on me, which they never used to do (they meow a bit, come and cuddle me for a while, then disappear!). During the evenings they're cuddling up near me more, and at night they're on the bed more -last night one was laying beside me, and the other curled up near my head!

spannermary Mon 12-Sep-11 14:59:56

I'm so glad it's not just me! Clever kitties grin

moonbells Mon 12-Sep-11 15:19:56

Heh. I have always said that the cat knew I was expecting before I did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now