Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

episiotomy question (TMI)

(7 Posts)
candr Sun 11-Sep-11 11:20:16

This is a bit gross but I have developed piles blush(am using anosul which doesn't seem to do much) and was wondering how they do an episiotomy if needed when the woman has piles as there doesnt seem any space to cut? I really would rather have neither! Also how quickly did people manage to get rid of piles after birth?

VFVF Sun 11-Sep-11 11:26:59

Hmm, I'm guessing the piles are fairly large? If it helps they usually cut on an angle, not straight down so it may not be a problem.

Oh pregnancy is glamorous isn't it!

Haribojoe Sun 11-Sep-11 11:50:29

Also as baby is being born your perineum is quite a bit longer than usual (IYSWIM) as your tissues are being stretched by the baby's head.

Episiotomies aren't done that often, in fact they are usually avoided if possible so hopefully you won't need one.

saoirse86 Sun 11-Sep-11 14:17:02

The piles would definitely have to be really big to get in the way but if you're concerned you could ask your mw to have a look next time you see them.

Episiotomies seemed to come as standard in the hospital I gave birth in, unless you had a cs of course!

chinateacup Sun 11-Sep-11 23:24:27

Candr I was wondering the same thing! blush GP prescribed some cream which seems good though- may be worth you asking..

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Mon 12-Sep-11 11:12:54

as VFVF said an episiotomoy tends to be diagonal. Hopefully you won't need one. I had one as forceps were used with ds1. My piles felt like golf balls (sorry if TMI) after labour (because of all the pushing required) and I had one of those pile cushions which was a God send. I couldn't sit properly for a while, I had to sit to the side until things calmed down. I think that went on for a few weeks but by then I was pretty distracted looking after a newborn. see if you can get some good treatment for them before you have your baby. From other threads I think there is some better stuff than anusol that you can get from the GP smile

marylou242 Mon 12-Sep-11 14:39:42

candr not sure if this is any help but I had the same problem with DS. I had an episiotomy but this was due to him being a bit distressed and a large baby with head size at the top of the graph. I was unable to push him out without one - I tried for 2 hours. They didn't mention the piles.

I've got them again this time unfortunately, I'm not sure how badly (not going to look either) but I mentioned them to the doctor and they prescribed proctosedyl, also known as uniroid. It's way better than anything I tried last time, so maybe give that a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now