Talk

Advanced search

Your top snacks for labour?

(38 Posts)
tunnocksteacake Sun 11-Sep-11 09:47:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pastabee Sun 11-Sep-11 09:59:41

Have no idea if this is right as I'm a first timer but NCT teacher suggested all non perishable so can be left in bag ready. She suggested:

Lucozade isotonic drink thing.
Cereal bars.
Sweets such as fruit pastiles.
Bottle of water with sports cap.

I've also got a packet of the really yummy waitrose chocolate cookies that weren't on her list...!

I'm not sure I'll feel much like eating so thought if I can sip the still lucozade this will help and i can scoff the rest afterwards especially the cookies!

DH likes all these things so he can share my stash!

My sister tells me something nice to eat is important as the very worst part of her entire labour was being given a microwave, NHS fish pie afterwards. I'm sure she is being flippant but that does sound like an awful dinner!

tunnocksteacake Sun 11-Sep-11 10:52:13

Pastabee Sun 11-Sep-11 11:39:39

Well i hope he was very supportive and had earned your tea and toast!

Saffra Sun 11-Sep-11 12:07:08

Another first timer here, but have packed cereal bars, sucking sweets, mints, dextrose tablets... All mainly for quick release energy. Oh and little cartons of ribena (with a few to go in freezer til last min). Will pack some bananas too last min.

All being well, I was planning on having a light slow energy release snacky meal (like pasta or healthy cereal) beforehand if poss so not on empty.

cowboylover Sun 11-Sep-11 13:01:43

I had Cadbury brunch bars so had the kick of the chocolate and the slow release of the gain and they where great!

I used those Dextrose energy sweets that are basically pure sugar. MW wasn't keen on letting me have anything else.

JeanBodel Sun 11-Sep-11 13:09:52

Fig rolls. Eat at least one packet of them as soon as you go into labour.

You will be eternally grateful to me as soon as you come to that first post-labour poo.

ASByatt Sun 11-Sep-11 13:13:22

Interesting.
I had a longish labour with Dd and any time that I pondered on food, the midwife was extemely negative - have often wondered why.

DecapitatedLegoman Sun 11-Sep-11 13:14:45

Flapjack. Ditto re the poo, with the bonus of slow release energy. And they're lush.

Saffra Sun 11-Sep-11 13:37:17

Was told at NHS antenatal class that it's up to the midwife that you get on whether you can have snacks or not. I think the reasoning was because of possibility of emergency sections...? And obv food and surgery don't mix. Something along those lines anyway.

tunnocksteacake Sun 11-Sep-11 19:56:59

nannyl Sun 11-Sep-11 20:36:42

I cant imagine midwifes have any right to refuse to let someone in labour eat shock

plenty of people who have eaten have emergancy C sections eat and live to tell the tale.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 11-Sep-11 20:39:20

Lucozade glucose tablets as you get further on and can't face eating anything

Sports bottle of water, but with a straw in it so you can drink at strange angles

Flapjack is perfect, as is cereal bars, anything with complex carbs etc. Chocolate ones also good.

HandMini Sun 11-Sep-11 20:45:02

Haribo and a Starbucks for me...until the midwife stopped me scoffing them down. Fortunately I'd downed enough sugar to energise me to push DD out. I thought the hospital food afterwards was delicious - lasagne and pudding/custard.

nuttyone Sun 11-Sep-11 21:27:41

The largest bar of dairy milk you can buy and those rather tasty sesame seed snack bars with yoghurt on (or dark chocolate) and then lots of fluid to stop your mouth from feeling glued together with yummy things :-))
Worked for us last time (DP was 'assisting' in the food consumption)

banana87 Sun 11-Sep-11 21:53:53

I wasn't allowed snacks when I was in labour. I thought this was pretty standard as they don't want you eating in case you have to have a GA for any reason...

blueeyedmonster Sun 11-Sep-11 21:55:37

I put in energy drinks, sweets and cereal bars but didn't use any of it. Food and drink was the last thing on my mind tbh and the midwife had to make me take sips of water.

I wish I had put some better stuff in for afterwards on the ward though. Will definately do that this time round. Hopefully i'll pack my bag wbefore I go into labour this time too!

HPonEverything Sun 11-Sep-11 21:56:56

I've got some of those Cadbury's Brunch bars and some Chocolate Chip Tracker bars, plus dried fruit in little boxes. Mixed up some Orange High Juice (which I can't get enough of) and I'll also take frozen water.

Suspect DH will end up eating all the snacks and I'll get the drinks smile

PinkFondantFancy Mon 12-Sep-11 07:40:58

I heard the stopping you from eating thing is very old fashioned thinking now, and that the risk of choking on stomach acid (if you've been on no food) under general anaesthetic is worse than the risk of choking on partially digested food. I'm not sure how true that is because if you were going to have any other surgery they would put you on nil by mouth. Maybe the benefits of having enough energy during labour through eating outweigh the risks of a very unlikely GA.

PinkFondantFancy Mon 12-Sep-11 07:42:17

I have an entire carrier bag of food blush including crisps for afterwards. I've also packed a bottle of undiluted squash as I hate room temperature tap water <precious>

herethereandeverywhere Mon 12-Sep-11 09:42:27

I had energy drinks, cereal bars, jelly babies and plain biscuits in my bag. Anything I ate/drank was immediately vomited up and I ended up on a drip so I might as well have had champagne, lobster and caviar for all the use it did!

Haberdashery Mon 12-Sep-11 11:49:27

Cartons of juice, biscuits, nuts, dried fruit, glucose sweets and chocolate.

TBH, the only ones of those I could have stomached during labour were the juice and glucose but the others were lovely afterwards!

Saffra Mon 12-Sep-11 19:42:16

Anyone packing champagne to have a celebratory glass???? I have wondered about that, but wasn't sure whether it's a stupid idea, not least because of breastfeeding?

PinkFondantFancy Mon 12-Sep-11 22:19:13

Saffra I was thinning about it but there's no way of keeping it cold is there? I might shove one in the fridge at home for when we get back. I would have thought it's ok to drink and bf as long as you time it right? No actual knowledge though, I'm just guessing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now