Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Upper back pain at 13 weeks

(10 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Sat 10-Sep-11 18:53:18

Ow ow ow! Have had awful upper back pain for about a week now (hurts most at about shoulder blade level). Had anyone else got this so early in pregnancy? Was expecting a sore lower back once I had a huge bump but not pain high up or at this stage. DH has offered to pay for a massage but not sure if this will help or if they will even do it if they don't know what's causing it. Seeing midwife in a few weeks so can mention it to her but wondering about asking GP? Has anyone else got or had anything similar? Thanks.

Oeisha Sat 10-Sep-11 19:12:17

Have you had your 12wk scan yet? or any scan?
Definitely worth mentioning to your GP/MW asap. Probably just strain, but as it is in your shoulder it's a symptom of other nasties too. Give your nearest early pregnancy unit a ring if you can't get ahold of them over the weekend. Will reassure you that it is not anything worrying if nothing else.

griphook Sat 10-Sep-11 19:16:19

I was going to ask if you've had a scan yet, are there any other symptoms. If it's very painful I think you should get it checked out

LoveInAColdClimate Sat 10-Sep-11 19:22:34

Sorry, should have made it clearer that's it's pain in the middle of my upper back (at shoulder blade level) not shoulder tip pain. Have already had two scans and the baby is definitely in the right place. I think I'll call my GP on Monday, it's really quite uncomfortable and presumably is only likely to get worse as I get bigger. Even if they can only recommend some stretches or something which might help that would be better. Weirdly is better when walking around but sadly I have a job which entails a lot of sitting at a desk (and obviously weekends sitting on the sofa on MN looking at the rain outside!). Thank you.

pinkytheshrinky Sat 10-Sep-11 19:26:20

Gall Bladder?

Oeisha Sat 10-Sep-11 19:43:45

Oh good! Still worth giving them a ring Monday though. If you have a job at a desk then it's very possible it's postural. Have you tried something like Pilates? Found it really helpful for my injured shoulder and lower back (leading to upper back strain too). Hopefully they'll give you some exercises to get you through.

griphook Sun 11-Sep-11 20:53:35

glad you had scan, as was a bit worried. This may sound like a really stupid thing to suggest but is your bra the right size, as I have one bra that really desn't fit that well, looks ok, but by the end of the day my back hurts a lot and in the place you describe, and your boobs with be geting heavy and bigger.

LoveInAColdClimate Sun 11-Sep-11 21:04:59

Thanks, all - am about to start pregnancy yoga so hopefully that will help. Will also call GP. That's a really good point about bras, actually - have been meaning to get bigger bras for a while so will do that on Monday. Thank you.

diddygirl Sun 11-Sep-11 21:15:46

I have back ache too, albeit lower down. The only thing I find that helps is a hot water bottle - the relief is almost instant. I'm 26 weeks. Might be worth a try?

LoveInAColdClimate Sun 11-Sep-11 22:27:01

Thanks, diddy, am now in bed with hot water bottle on it and it is helping. Good idea!

The bra thing may be a good point as I have just measured myself (I know I need to get properly measured but wanted a rough guess) and my boobs seem to have exploded from 32B to 32F!! I did buy a couple of non underwired 32Cs in the sale about a month ago which I knew were already too small but this is insane! No wonder boobs are escaping over top of bra and I have backache blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now