Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal Scan

(8 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Sat 10-Sep-11 06:44:13

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me, I went to see midwife on Wed week and told her I thought I was about 5/6 weeks pregnant although last period was in MArch (PCOS) anyway I was pretty confident because I had implantation bleeding and a negative test on 24 Aug followed by a positive on 27Aug so all in all pretty sure I even told her I thought I would be due on or around 07 May. I got a call from hospital on Thursday asking for a scan to date me just in case I was much further along so a I went and low and behold I am 5+ weeks with an estimated due date of 7 May.

This is great and seeing a tiny beating heart (makes me closer to 6 weeks) was lovely but I am concerned that they have given me the date of 04November for my next scan - I will be just a couple of days off 14 weeks at this point and I am worried that if they got the dating out even by just a couple of days I will miss the window for the nuchal scan. Do you think I should ask for it a week earlier? I did try at booking in but the receptionist was snotty and told me they needed to do things on certain dates.

louby86 Sat 10-Sep-11 07:56:37

Hi, congratulations!!! I had to go back for a repeat nuchal scan as baby was too wriggly the first time round and I think they told me it's ok up to 13+6. After that if you want to be screened for Down's etc they do the blood test on it's own. Hope that helps

Jill72 Sat 10-Sep-11 08:26:54

You also need to confirm that your health authority do nucal scans at the the 12 week scan - mine didn't and I had to pay to have it done privately at Baby Bond.

I think they are leaving it late to this scan - remember the receptionist is not a medical professional - I think you should ring and ask to speak to a midwife at the hospital.

HotPinkGingham Sat 10-Sep-11 09:20:08

This sounds too late - I was told they could do it between 12 weeks and 13+6, otherwise the baby is too big and they can't do the NT test. I have been for a few scans and sometimes the baby has been bang on and others has been a few days ahead, so you can't bank on it being exact for the dates.

Push to have it changed - the receptionist obviously didn't know what she was talking about.

HanaP Mon 12-Sep-11 12:15:46

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if you could help me and explain me few things. I am pregnant and just be just at the beginning of 10week. Last period was 11th July.
I have referred myself to the Whittington hospital and received a letter with my first screening date which is on Tuesday 27th September. I will be at the beginning of 12th week.

I was wondering if this screening will also include NT scan or I have to go for it privately.
I am getting a bit nervous that I am at the beginning of 10week and I have not seen a doctor yet nor have any scan yet. I have my first appointment with midwife this Thursday. Can anyone tell me what can I expect?

I originally come from different EU country and they always do a scan in 6-7weeks to confirm the pregnancy, that the heart is beating and that the baby is where it should be.
I know there is different approach in this country and is usual to see the doctor for the first time around 12weeks. I am just getting a bit nervous that's all.

Thank you

Jill72 Mon 12-Sep-11 12:21:32

nucal scans depend on your local health authority - some do and some don't depending on where you live - Mine didn't and I paid privately to have it done. Ring your midwife or maternity unit to find out,

HanaP Mon 12-Sep-11 12:37:39

Thank you. I will wait for the first appointment with my midwife which is on Thursday. If she is not able to tell me, I will call Whittington Hospital and ask them if they do NT scan on the first 12weeks scan.

Thak you

heartmoonshadow Mon 12-Sep-11 15:28:00

A quick update I have confirmed with hospital that I am unhappy that I was given a date for scan so close to 14 weeks and they have agreed to do scan week earlier - I know it is Nuchal scan and am much happier now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now