Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Granny Knickers

(16 Posts)
Pastabee Fri 09-Sep-11 18:41:05

Would appreciate some advice from those who have done this before.... Am shamefully confused by granny knickers.

Aware from MN that should buy cheap black 'granny knickers' rather than paper knickers or whatever for after birth. Went to buy some in Sainsburys but didn't get further than that.

Should I buy what they call 'full brief' that seem to come up to belly button or just 'briefs' that are much higher than normal knickers but not as granny like as 'full brief'.

How many sizes up did you go? Normally a 12? Assume they need to be comfy but not so big they don't hold pads in place.

Thanks for your help. Feel very stupid asking this but am genuinely confused.

KatyN Fri 09-Sep-11 19:44:41

are you looking for granny knickers for post birth or for during pregnancy??
I bought 5 pairs of ENORMOUS pants when I started to show just because I caught sight of myself in prepregnancy knickers and I felt like the fat woman from little britian. That said, 20 weeks later my 4 sizes up knickers are starting to look a bit like that again.

For post birth i'm assuming I'll just use the same pants.. they are so grim that I don't mind if they are ruined by blood etc.

I've seen quite a few packs of disposable pants around too.. I just cant' imagine giong that far!

iklboo Fri 09-Sep-11 19:49:09

During pregnancy boxers are fab. Afterwards I got the 'full briefs' two sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy size.

Pastabee Fri 09-Sep-11 19:50:25

I meant for post birth. Can't imagine I'd want to wear paper knickers either!

I'm wearing JoJo Maman Bebe maternity knickers now. Very comfy and highly recommend for pregnancy but definitely too good to ruin!

Scaredycat3000 Fri 09-Sep-11 20:35:02

I'd say get the full brief, if you end up having a C/S the last thing you'll want is your knickers finishing anyway near your scar, if not it won't matter that they are so high anyway. It will take a while for your belly to go deflate they say you will look about 6 months pregnant for a bit so I'd say size 12 pre-preg, buy 16?

Boosaphena Fri 09-Sep-11 20:36:18

Urgh I did the paper knickers first time round. Really wish I didn't, my waging machine copes fine with blood-why did I bother. I've bought some primani size 16 granny ones this time, having elcs so thought it might be comfy. I normally wear thongs, and get irritated by big pants creeping up my bum but really hoping these won't!

Pastabee Fri 09-Sep-11 21:01:10

That's great advice thanks. Think I know what I'm doing now!

pootlebug Fri 09-Sep-11 21:20:56

I agree with Scaredycat - full brief in case of C/S scar, and I went up 2 sizes too (pre-preg size 10, size 14 granny knickers)

I think I got mine in Asda for about £3 for 5 pairs. They weren't great quality but I didn't exactly buy them to last!

kiki22 Fri 09-Sep-11 21:38:27

can i ask is there a reason people wear granny pants/maternity pants during pregnancy? i'm still in my thongs but seem to be the only one am i missing something?

Pastabee Fri 09-Sep-11 22:56:55

Hi Kiki, I wore my normal underwear for about 28 weeks. After that it was getting scrunched up and leaving an imprint on the underside of my bump so I bought knickers that were cut for pregnancy.

I didn't think I would ever see the value in maternity underwear either but has made a difference. Guess we all carry differently and some people will get more uncomfortable than others?

hubbahubster Sat 10-Sep-11 10:13:15

I'm usually a 12 too and bought Primark full briefs in a 14. They get baggier with wear and you'll shrink after birth anyway so I found one size up was plenty. And I had an ELCS and found them fine over my scar.

I didn't bother with maternity pants either - my normal 'shorts' style pants were fine in pregnancy, but would have been horrible post-op.

alikat724 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:17:57

Great thread, thanks! I'm 29 weeks and still wearing my super-tiny low rise strings, I loathe briefs normally and just can't deal with bunching/rolling under my belly now it's getting big. Am looking at full briefs with huge trepidation, but I guess they'll be a necessity with maternity pads. Will take the size advice above, thanks ladies!

Boosaphena Sat 10-Sep-11 12:05:57

As an update, I finally bit the bullet and tried my mahoosive pants on. At 35 weeks I did not need to go up as big as I have which means they'll be massive after my section. However I'm too tight to buy more so will lump it!

BabyAcorn Sat 10-Sep-11 19:37:08

Glad im not the only woman out there, thinking about this! I am 29 weeks and my normal pants are driving me crazy! Will look into every one thoughts above, thanks every one above, I know will hold my head up high when I see my nanny in the same pants as her 27 yyr old grand daughter!! smile

sidorek Sun 11-Sep-11 06:26:06

Primark got full briefs: 4 for £2.50! will not cry when they will go to the binsmile

Thumbwitch Sun 11-Sep-11 06:30:52

I didn't mind the disposable pants, actually - they weren't that bad. Then I went back into my normal knickers when I stopped bleeding - had been wearing size 14 normal pants (Not full briefs, can't bear them, the next size down) before birth and that's what I went back to (normal was size 10-12)
But I didn't have a CS scar to worry about so I could do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now