Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Present ideas for a pregnant friend, please!

(28 Posts)
LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 15:03:09

My dear friend's birthday is coming up and she's just about three months pregnant. She hasn't mentioned anything in particular she'd like, and I don't want to give her something very specifically for the baby (I think it's bad luck!). She works hard and puts a lot of energy into other people, so I'd like to get her something to make her feel cossetted and special. She likes luxury in all its guises: good-quality clothes/accessories, nice books/art objects, food and drink. What did you receive, or would have liked to receive, to make you feel loved and valued when you were pregnant?

TIA.

SueFlay Thu 08-Sep-11 15:07:44

Someone to take ds1 off me for a couple of hours and leave me with a run bath and a chocolate fudge cake grin

MissRee Thu 08-Sep-11 15:08:53

What about a voucher for a pregnancy massage? Or just a general pampering session?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 15:11:56

Forgot to mention some crucial things: a) it's her first pregnancy so no existing children to take off her hands and b) I am not taking responsibility for other people's kids <shudder at thought> grin. Although I appreciate the sentiment.

Pampering – lovely but I know she's having a massage/facial session for her birthday. I could give her a voucher for a treatment later on though.

Thanks both!

cravingcake Thu 08-Sep-11 15:22:11

I was going to say a spa session/beauty treatment/manicure/pedicure, but a voucher for this would be good for her to use in the depths of winter when she'll appreciate it.
Nice nail varnish - something she can use now
You say she likes books, so a good book she can read to take her mind of all things baby when she wants to.

I would say to stay clear of clothing (it'll just depress her if she cant fit it, or not be able to wear it for long), and food/drink (in case its something she cant eat).

Definitely good idea NOT to get something baby related, its her birthday,not the baby's grin

H007 Thu 08-Sep-11 15:24:38

Pedicure I can't even see my feet to do anything with them anymore!!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 15:29:27

Thanks craving! I was thinking not so much of 'proper' clothes as things like nice scarves, loungewear etc – a wrap, cashmere bed socks ... actually, that's an idea. People love cashmere socks but never splash out to buy them for themselves, right? Would you have appreciated them in pregnancy?

JennyPiccolo Thu 08-Sep-11 15:31:01

A night out? I felt quite on my own when preg because all my friends would go out drinking and that.

Merinda Thu 08-Sep-11 15:33:01

My friend gave me a small hamper full of stretchmark oils and body butters (mama mio, boo boo etc). It also had nice soaps in it, as well as a couple of books.
I am so gratefull - have been using all these products for several months, and no need to buy any. Best gift I could have had.

Merinda Thu 08-Sep-11 15:34:29

oh yes, it also contained pregnancy vitamins/supplements. Not such a small hamper after all smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 15:34:56

More lovely ideas. Thanks all. smile

gapants Thu 08-Sep-11 15:36:28

yy to cashmere anything have a look on the Toast or Brora websites for some inspiration or Plumo. I love Plumo. I would love something costly (£30-50) and lavish that I would never buy for myself. An artisan bowl, cashmere socks, hand made earings.

Thumbwitch Thu 08-Sep-11 15:39:26

Could you not just ask her?

I'm only saying because some people gave me beautiful gifts for myself after DS was born - like the basket of thoughtful hand-crafted soaps and stuff - but I don't use them. I don't like scented bath stuff and don't ever use it (except salt but even then I can't often cope with the smell scent).

If she likes lotions and potions though, you could get her a pot of stretchmark-preventing cream/oil.

cravingcake Thu 08-Sep-11 15:46:03

I personally wouldnt have wanted cashmere socks, but that's coz I'm still pregnant and have been all over summer (32 weeks) grin but if I was going to be pregnant over winter then cashmere socks or scarf would be very nice, however, I'm struggling to reach my feet now so socks are not so easy to put on...

bigmacandhappymeal Thu 08-Sep-11 15:47:46

I'd second the Mamma Mio idea - lovely lovely stuff and quite pricey so nice to receive as a gift

bigmacandhappymeal Thu 08-Sep-11 15:48:16

ps lovely idea - what a nice friend you are!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 15:56:22

I must check out Mamma Mio – too many good endorsements here to ignore and they do sound lovely!

I need the presents for this weekend, so websites are out unfortunately ... but have access to John Lewis, Selfridges etc so I should be able to get nice cashmere. <fingers crossed and elbows out for late-night-shopping crowds>

Thumbwitch, I'd rather get her something as a surprise. I know broadly what sort of things she likes and what kind of scents/product ranges are likely to float her boat, so hopefully I won't go too far wrong. She's never been pregnant before and I haven't either, so I was interested in people's opinions on pregnancy-specific things. Stretchmark oil sounds great. I assume it comes as standard in a lot of pregnancy beauty-product sets.

bigmac, she's a dear friend who I've known nearly twenty years, and always gives me great presents. She's had a rough year and she doesn't look after herself enough sometimes. She deserves lovely things!

yummymango Thu 08-Sep-11 16:22:51

What a lovely thought.

Luxury pedicure at a nice spa for definite. I can no longer reach to paint my toenails and my feet ache all the time. I have had a couple of lovely pedicures which included foot massage, it really feels like I am being pampered smile She should save it for when she is 8 or 9 months though to get the real benefit!

She might already have stretchmark oil/cream, I was using it from the word go.

Cashmere sounds like a fab idea, I would love cashmere socks in winter. Or what about a lambswool blanket www.johnlewis.com/105194/Product.aspx? A bit pricey, not sure how much you want to spend but it would keep her cosy on those cold nights on the sofa - I adore mine smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 16:24:59

Pedicure, hmmm, that is a nice idea. And lovely blanket. I could stretch to one of those but probably not either ... Will have to flip a coin. Or give her one of them now and one for Christmas!

cravingcake Thu 08-Sep-11 16:30:03

Can you be my friend too grin Its my birthday not long after my due date and I'm really hoping for a pampering, and for baby to arrive on time!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 08-Sep-11 16:41:07

craving, start dropping hints to your friends and family. grin

rimmer08 Thu 08-Sep-11 17:07:17

burts bees stuff?
box set of her fave show for after the birth and she may be tied to the sofa?
cool flat shoes?
magazine subscription?

LouisaJF Thu 08-Sep-11 20:04:33

How about finding some alcohol-free cocktail recipes and have a girls night in that is pregnancy friendly? Hopefully then she can still have a drink on her birthday without missing the alcohol too much.

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and I turn 30 next week. If someone has bought me cashmere socks I'll be more than happy!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 09-Sep-11 15:42:10

Shoes ... hmmm. Good idea. Also like the box set idea but as we don't live in the same town and don't see that much of each other, I'm not completely sure what she's watched/hasn't seen/would want/hates.

Still thinking, but leaning towards nice beauty products and some cashmere socks!

somewherewest Fri 09-Sep-11 19:49:23

Some spas do special pregnancy pampering packages (reflecting the fact that not all spa treatmentsc are suitable when preggers)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now