Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how early is too early to do a prg test?

(24 Posts)
Dozeyland Thu 08-Sep-11 14:02:48

?

ImpyCelyn Thu 08-Sep-11 14:07:17

Well I did one at the beginning of August that said I was 2-3 weeks post conception, so I figured 4-5 weeks pg, but when I had an early scan several weeks later it turned out I was only 5 weeks 5 days. So I think I must have tested less than a week after conception.

If you've got symptoms go for it. Fingers crossed smile

ExpensivePants Thu 08-Sep-11 14:08:30

I was something like 3 weeks and 4 days when I tested +. Go for it by all means but it's a bloody long wait till 12 weeks if you are! smile

Dozeyland Thu 08-Sep-11 14:14:30

MY lmp was 15th august, and just been reading online that apparently conception is only happening this week? we had lots of @FUN@ last week and on my apparent ov days, but just tested and it as bfn. i think i should be due af mid next week. but bfn

we're not using anything, i am still breastfeeding but have had regular periods for about 3/4 months...

PinkFondantFancy Fri 09-Sep-11 07:42:15

From my experience, ttesting before your period is due is a bad idea. You could get a BFN even though you're actually pregnant, bit it's too soon to say. You could get BFP but a chemical pregnancy which really sucks. Or best case scenario, you get a BFP but then it is an eternity until 12 weeks.

spannermary Fri 09-Sep-11 07:54:50

I took a test at about 3-4 weeks pregnant - and it came back negative, so I continued to drink etc. I wonder if I'd waited an extra week whether I'd have found out sooner and I'd have been able to protect my baby from alcohol etc that little bit longer. So - by all means test, but I'd recommend a test a week or 2 later if it comes back negative. smile

nannyl Fri 09-Sep-11 07:55:36

i got a +ve (ok the worlds feintist +ve) at 3+3, 9 days after ovulation

Dozeyland Fri 09-Sep-11 08:53:59

Its crazy how the HCG level development varies to each person, I tested
1week after my period was due with DD1 and got a BFFFP, but no symptoms as such
(Just like throughout my whole pregnancy - other than tiredness.)

So I am counting day 26, not sure when I ov'd, but test yesterday was bfn, so I'll leave it until af comes to is late.
I read online that in "week 3" this is when conception actually happens. So for those of you who
Got a bfp at 3 or so weeks, you must have been only just pregnant and very lucky to get a bfp on a test? smile

I was really hoping to be having a May 2012 baby, would have been the end of May, but
Who knows.

Sounds silly as I've already had a baby but just because I got a bfn yesterday doesn't rule out
Me being pregnant does it as it could still show up?

I think I should be roughly due af next week ?

dribbleface Fri 09-Sep-11 09:10:32

with Ds got a BFP 4 days before AF due, very strong result. This time got the feintest of lines the day i was due AF and feint lines for next 3 days. Am currently 37 weeks!

Pastabee Fri 09-Sep-11 09:15:43

I bought tests designed for use 6 days before a missed period. The box said something like only 60% work 6 days before and 99% day before.

Took one three days before period due and got a faint line. Took one day after period was due to make sure and it turned to a very strong line in seconds so just shows how much HCG rises in that window.

nannyl Fri 09-Sep-11 09:24:56

i had that 6 day early test too (though used that one at 3+4)

if you read the small print you realise that the 6 day early day is actually 5 days before period is due confused
they class the day your period is due as 1 day early for testing!

themightyskim Fri 09-Sep-11 09:41:54

It took me until a week after I was due to show positive, was off the scale by then but nothing the day I was actually due on x

MandaHugNKiss Fri 09-Sep-11 10:05:07

dozeyland I think what the website you're looking at means is that implantation takes place in week three, not conception. Conception will happen within 24 hours of the egg being released (I'm sure there are rare exceptions to that rule, but on the whole 'experts' believe the egg survives for 12-24 hours after ovulation if not fertilised). From fertilisation, the cells divide over and over as it travels down the fallopian tube and into the uterus. At around 5 days after fertilisaton the cells start to 'hatch' from the shell of the egg and are ready to implant... but the process may not start to happen for days yet - the 'average' window of implantation being 6-10 days past ovulation (which is, week three of your pregnancy (if indeed you end up pregnant!)).

Once implantation is comlete, some women metabolise the hcg very quickly and will be able to get a positive test the next day - for others it take a few more days for the hcg to build up to a detectable amount.

I reiterate that this is all following the 'average' line... there will always be examples either end of what is expected as normal.

If you expect your period on the 15th, then you are probably around 9dpo (if you O'd around the 'average' time and have an average luteal phase!) which is very early to get a positive test but not unheard of with a sensitive test (I had one at 10dpo (3+3) last time and 11dpo (3+4) this time)

Hope that helps make it clearer... and not just confuse matters further!

Dozeyland Fri 09-Sep-11 11:59:15

When should i have had sex if my lmp was 15th aug?

Sorry if this sounds silly blush

Mandahugs - makes much more sense now!

MandaHugNKiss Fri 09-Sep-11 12:39:08

ok, so if lmp was 15th Aug then, again on average, you would expect to O around 14 days after that. But you mention expecting af mid next week so are your cycles usually 30-31 days? In which case, it's likely (but not definite!) that you'd have O'd around the 1st September but would have been pretty fertile for a few days before that (say 29th-1st). Which probably makes you closer to 8 dpo today.

Unfortunately this is all guesswork unless you chart and are sure of when you ovulated!

Dozeyland Fri 09-Sep-11 13:25:53

Yeah i'm just trying to remember my period before the last one, and i cant remember - so i cant remember how long my cycles are.... usually (guessing) 4 weeks.... I'm just trying to remember if we dtd before my potential ov' or mostly after (too many to remember! blush)

oh well, I keep getting small cramps, kind of the due af feeling but different, and i know im not due af yet??

odd. all this waiting around is bother. we only said the other week we'd like another baby, so im trying to not think of it as ttc, i just thought that where we havent been using anything, having lots of (fun) it may happen as i fell pretty quickly with dd, with no symptoms. just a week late. no early testing done then though as i got fed up of tests!

so i dont have a definite AF date... its a guess for mid next week...

Thanks for the info smile

bmm39 Fri 09-Sep-11 13:54:59

I took one 1 week before my period and it was negative. Took another 2 the day of my period and they both came back positive. My advice would be wait as close as you can for the day of your expected period. I realise it's torture but if you do them too early they are not accurate.

phlossie Fri 09-Sep-11 14:08:05

Try the early response pg tests - I tested (epic, this) with 2 cheap Sainsbury's tests 4 days before my period was due, got hardly visible bfp, tested Clear Blue (x2) the next day with same result, tested Early Response the next day and got very clear bfp!

mrsbrooks Fri 09-Sep-11 15:00:29

Did tests everyday for 2 wks and only when I was 5 wks pg did I get a positive so wait at least a month after last period, not the one u just missed. Hard to do tho smile

bmm39 Fri 09-Sep-11 16:16:17

Personally, I dont think paying extra for certain pregnancy tests are worth the money. I got 2 tests from Poundland and they both came up positive.

phlossie Fri 09-Sep-11 17:37:52

No, bmm39, I agree - the lines on the early response were clearer, but the 2 for £4.50 Sainsbury's test did show positive lines, albeit faintly, but no different from the Clear Blue. All in all, I'd have been better waiting until my period was actually due and using the cheapo test... but I was too impatient!

MandaHugNKiss Fri 09-Sep-11 19:05:47

Yeah, now if only I could buy some patience from somewhere, I'd have probably saved quite a lot on early tests grin

Except, I spent hardly anything on them - I used the cheap internet strips (pence each) and only backed up any line I saw on them with a more expensive test (this time superdrug early result which isn't even very expensive!)

Dozeyland Sat 10-Sep-11 08:10:13

I used a tesco one the other day, when I fell pg with dd I used boots
And got bfp (1week after period) then double checked with clearblue. BFP
It was smile

I'm going to wait until af shows (or doesn't) to test again.

I just feel extra tired lately, cramping and backache. So who knows. If I'm not
Then I just need more coffee smile

Dozeyland Tue 13-Sep-11 08:19:38

AF was due yesterday i think, No show so far. not testing again though until a few more days time, might even stretch it to next week....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now