Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD / Pelvic girdle pain

(12 Posts)
catgirl2 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:22:39

Hi there,

I have pelvic pain at the moment and am on crutches and house-bound. I am 38 weeks and this only came on at week 37 but very suddenly and severely. The physio gave me crutches, a tubigrip and told me to get as much rest as possible.

I have booked to see an osteopath on Saturday and just wondered if anyone had any experiences of this and if it had worked for them? In some ways it feels a bit late on to be going but I am keen to try anything!

Also I am quite concerned about how this may affect the birth, again it would be great to hear any advice!

Thanks

megansmummy1 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:32:00

No experience I am afraid but watching with interest as i am in the same boat!

yummymango Thu 08-Sep-11 10:34:05

Hi catgirl, I know how you feel. I am 37 +5, have been housebound on crutches with PGP for the last 3 weeks. However, I got a very quick referral to a physio and mine is so much better now. I have seen the physio 3 times and after not being able to walk at all at first I can now get around my flat and walk short distances without the crutches! I think the main thing that helped was resting it but also doing the exercises seems to have been beneficial.

Did the physio do any manipulation? I assume the Osteopath would do some manipulation to try to realign everything which is what the physio did for me but unfortunately that didn't do much very quickly - although the last time I saw her she said that it was aligned again, which is probably why it's not so painful now.

If I was you I would go for it because it will help, even if it does seem like its too late, if your pelvis is misaligned like mine it is surely better to get it all straightened. You don't want to be on crutches after the birth.

Also you probably know this, but make sure you are doing your pelvic floors and apparently the birthing ball is good to sit on because it forces you to use your core muscles.

I haven't given birth yet so can't talk about that...but really hope you get better soon!

AlpinePony Thu 08-Sep-11 10:39:38

I'm not as far along as you but am seeing the physio weekly now, she does some manipulations which don't hurt at the time but about 6 hours later it hurts a lot. She then gives me lots of exercises to do at home.

I toss and turn at night and get some terrible creaks and crunches coming from my pelvis but it seems to "sort it out" and I tend to feel good in the morning.

Core exercises are good - sitting on the sofa eating biscuits = bad. So unfair. sad wink

MissusTulip Thu 08-Sep-11 11:30:26

Hiya catgirl2, there is a support thread for us lucky ladies afflicted with dodgy pelvises - don't know how to link to it but it's got spd and anyone want to join me on the birthing ball? in the title.

There is a lot of very helpful advice and good support on there, I have found it extremely good during this pregnancy in not feeling alone and having somewhere to go to vent about being housebound, on crutches, in pain and to hear what helps! Osteo does seem to help a lot of people so fingers crossed for your appointment!

There's a thread over on childbirth about giving birth with spd. I's much shorter tho there are some reassuring stories (and some less so sad )

hope that helps and hope you don't have too long to go!

catgirl2 Thu 08-Sep-11 11:42:31

Thank you all, great advice. Great not to feel alone in this! Yummymango, I have a birthing ball which does seem to help to sit on. The physio did one quick manipulation but is now on holiday and it sort of feels like there won't be much else offered so think the osteopath is the way to go!

I have to remember to do pelvic floor but doing them really seems to hurt my tailbone! MissusTulip - thanks for the tip about the other thread, will have a look there and see if I can pick up any more tips!

Thank you all!

MissusTulip Thu 08-Sep-11 11:49:57

Catgirl, the pelvic floors hurt my tailbone at first and when I complained to the physio, she said I was clenching my buttocks (and my tummy muscles, I was really going for it!) She said to concentrate on just the internal ones and try to relax my butt (while still tightening in the bum a bit).

I'm sure I pulled some really peculiar faces for a while until I got the hang of it (easy enough really blush). Oh, I found it hurt worse if I did them lying down too, usually do them in the shower. Seems quite easy to (ahem) clench while sitting too, although that is how I spend most of the day.

Fun fun fun!

catgirl2 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:01:57

Ah thank you! Going to try some now and see how I get on! smile

goodnightmoon Thu 08-Sep-11 13:05:10

i started feeling SPD at 14 weeks after only having had it in the final 5-6 weeks last time around. I immediately got into an osteopath (privately) and it has made a world of difference. I've only had to see her every 2-3 weeks and at 26 weeks am feeling really good apart from the odd twinges that usually work themselves out as i walk, and some discomfort sleeping.

I hope it works for you too - they can make subtle adjustments that really help.

i'm still waiting for my physio appointment i requested in early July. The hospital yesterday told me only another two weeks to go until they send me a letter that will let me call them up and make said appointment!

catgirl2 Thu 08-Sep-11 18:24:13

Thanks goodnightmoon that's really encouraging. The thought of being able to do something proactive cheers me up! smile

sleepevader Thu 08-Sep-11 22:18:59

I had spd to the point I was about to use crutches. The cranial oestopath did something to me that I couldn't possibly explain. The spd is only mild now.

I am planning on going to see her before the birth and am taking baby afterwards.

ronson Wed 14-Sep-11 19:09:50

Got SPD at 14 weeks. Have been to physio every week since now 22 weeks. I have crutches but only use these for longer distances or if I'm in a lot of pain. I avoid stairs whereever possible and dont lift much or waqlk far. Would recommed physio. Whatever they do it really seems to work. Can be very painful a few hours afterwards but the next day and for a few days later you will feel better.

I have found the emotional side difficult and have had to deal with comments such as 'pregnancy is not an illness' or 'my sister had that but they managed'.

My advice, for what its worth, is avoid doing too much in one go (little and often is good) and go to physio this will help as you get bigger. Unfortunatley they tell you very little about any affects that spd will have during the birth. Generally no epidural and make sure its in yor birthing plan that you have spd. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now