Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calling all with labour experience, particularly prem - worrying pain...

(8 Posts)
outthere Wed 07-Sep-11 16:42:22

Hi all,

Quick history: I had prem twins at 33 weeks 3.5 years ago. Previous to their delivery I had two threatened labours, one at 23 weeks and another at 28 weeks. Both characterised by severe bleeding and mildly painful contractions. Thankfully both were halted with medication in hospital.

I'm currently approaching 29 weeks with a singleton and twice today (once a few minutes ago and previously half an hour ago) I've had severe radiating pain across the top of my bump. The pain lasts for about 30 seconds, reaches a crescendo and then goes with no lasting effect. It's severe enough to make me stop what I'm doing and have to breath through - it's almost unbearable...

Should I be worried? I vaguely remember hearing from my research on prem labour last time that typical labour pain is across the bottom of your bump and pain across the top is likely to be due to another cause - is that right or have I inadvertantly made that up? confused.

I'm not overly worried as there have only been two episodes so far and it's probably down to something I've eaten or the way I'm sitting...

Would really appreciate your thoughts or opinions...

PS I don't have my midwife's number on me as I'm at work ( I know, lesson learnt) and I won't finish till gone 9...

AtYourCervix Wed 07-Sep-11 16:47:51

phone your delivery unit and ask for advice. it's worrying you enough to ask here - you need to be checked.,
good luck.

deemented Wed 07-Sep-11 16:53:18

Yes, i'd be checked too.

I went into labour with my boys at 28 weeks - they couldn't stop it, and my contractions stated in my lower back and at the top of my bump.

outthere Wed 07-Sep-11 16:57:15

Thanks AtYourCervix I guess I could look that number up on the internet. I'll call them... Absolutely PMSL at your name by the way... are you a midwife with a name like that??

deemented - Oh Gawd, that doesn't sound good - I really thought upper bump pain was ok (sounds stupid now). How frequently did those pains start?

deemented Wed 07-Sep-11 17:03:30

It was probably between every 30 - 45 mins at first - i didn't really notice a pattern. It was incredibly stop startish, and from first pains to birth was a good 48 hours.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on, won't you?

outthere Wed 07-Sep-11 17:10:26

Yes, thanks deemented - I expect to check back with you after being given the once over and all clear ^pray^... not sure how we'd cope with another prem delivery - I so wanted it to be different this time...

Thanks for your hlep both of you.

outthere Sun 11-Sep-11 11:35:49

Hiya, just to update you that I'm still here and baby's still where he should be smile.

No more pains to report so fingers crossed things keep going smoothly... thanks for your help!

deemented Sun 11-Sep-11 11:37:46

Oh, thanks for the update - i'd been wondering how you were getting on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now