Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear for giving birth?

(21 Posts)
Karmanna Wed 07-Sep-11 14:37:55

I've got lots of info about what to include in hospital bag, and what I need for when baby's arrived, but what do I wear at the hospital?

Thanks!

RedRubyBlue Wed 07-Sep-11 14:40:14

This season's backless white gown usually smile

newbroom Wed 07-Sep-11 14:41:58

Whatever you were wearing when the contractions start (if daytime), if nightime probably PJs accessorised with tracksuit bottoms! Seriously, you probably won't have the time/inclination to change clothes once things get going.

supergreenuk Wed 07-Sep-11 14:44:14

Anything really. I had a spaghetti strap night shirt as it was easy to pull down for feeding but was long enough to cover my bits while in labour when I had no undies on.

flimflammery Wed 07-Sep-11 14:44:40

An oversized t-shirt or old nightie? To be honest, as long as you're comfortable and the baby isn't going to get stuck in your jeans, then it doesn't matter and you really won't care at the time. If you have any medical interventions then I think they'll offer you a hospital gown. Keep a nice nightie for afterwards.

supergreenuk Wed 07-Sep-11 14:46:48

My midwife told me when to change into it to get ready. Once your in your labour room though that's when you can expect you won't leave until it arrives so from that point you can change ready.

Flisspaps Wed 07-Sep-11 14:46:49

I wore one of DH's old t-shirts and a nursing bra underneath (not comfy for me to go without)

Wanted to cut the lot off after several hours, being on a drip would have made it very difficult to just take it off. Even so, I'm glad I didn't go for the hospital gown option. There's something massively depressing about those institutional aprons which fit no-one.

I've still got the t-shirt (intact) and plan to wear it for #2, no point ruining another one.

reallytired Wed 07-Sep-11 14:47:39

Old T shirt/ nightie is good for giving birth. Some people give birth nude, but its not complusory. Whatever you wear will end up sweaty, disgusting and covered in blood.

I suggest you bring a couple of old nighties for the hospital as they may get locia all over them. Pack some normal maternity clothes to go home in. It is unlikely that you will fit into size ten jeans when you leave the hospital. Although I imagine that maternity trousers will not stay up.

See this link for a laugh

exceptionally stupid idea

Deesus Wed 07-Sep-11 14:50:39

That link is brilliant reallytired. I like how it comes in 'raspberry' as well as black!

somethingkindaoooh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:51:56

I insisted on wearing nothing but my sports bra when DS was born!!! DH says I blankly refused to put anything else on despite them offering me a hospital gown and having a perfectly good nighty with me...makes me cringe when I think back as I would never normally be happy to be in the buff in front of a bunch of people I dont know!!!

lostinwales Wed 07-Sep-11 14:53:15

As I have been induced for all three of mine I have always had time to prepare and have always worn a sarong + baggy mans shirt in hospital. Sarong is great as it can be a bed cover/skirt/dress/general drape over you thing and does not get in the way as much. When it all went a bit pear shaped with DS3 and I had a catheter bag, constant monitoring and three drips going it was the only piece of clothing that would have allowed for all the lines and straps. [disclaimer, it's not often like that for most people, DS3 has been overly dramatic ever since].

I had two sarongs which was good as my waters broke all over one and a couple of pairs of flip flops which are handy as they are easy to clean and take on and off, you don't want shoes and they seem a bit more elegant than slippers.

Bunsouttheoven Wed 07-Sep-11 14:56:21

Yes as others have said an old nightie t shirt as it may get mucky! Also I just end up removing whatever I have anyway as always too hot. I would have given birth naked in the car park for all I cared, though had bought a special nightie for dc1 birth.

Better to take several nighties/loose pjs to change into after. Might have to change pj bottoms fairly frequently as bleeding can be heavy afterwards & pads don't always stay in place well.

nannyl Wed 07-Sep-11 14:58:34

im planning a home birth and am 39+3 today

in the early stages, whatever i am wearing at the time, followed by nothing.

I really dont want any clothes on in the later stages and when in my pool.

Karmanna Wed 07-Sep-11 14:59:14

Thanks all,

So seems to be ok to just rock up in what you've got on at the time then. That's good to know!

HPonEverything Wed 07-Sep-11 15:39:57

Good question. I'm having a water birth hopefully so was going to be naked during that time but then put on a giant t-shirt (one of DH's probably) or something for the actual birth, as I am told I will need to get out at some stage to actually give birth, don't know if this is true or not but taking one just in case!

Tigresswoods Wed 07-Sep-11 15:43:35

A grimace?

planetpotty Wed 07-Sep-11 15:49:28

Primani do a good range of nighties with buttons on the front (if your planning to BF) v cheap think like £3 each I had 2 just in case one gets messy for the labour.

Then for afterwards nice PJs and slippers to feel semi human in whilst still in hospital but after the birth. Make sure whatever you wear after the birth is dark as there is blood loss and you have to wear pads. Sorry if being patronising there not meaning to be smile

TooImmature2BDumbledore Wed 07-Sep-11 16:18:22

I wore a sheet! Afterwards a nightie was the best thing as had catheter - I was glad I had packed a nightie as well as pyjamas, because I don't think the pyjamas would have been so good with the catheter.

Cyclebump Wed 07-Sep-11 16:23:44

I wore nightie that was like a long t-shirt as my mum was there and I didn't want to be naked blush. It meant I could walk around during contractions without having my bits out but it was easy access when the time came.

As soon as I could I showered and changed into dark pj bottoms and a BF friendly vest top. I chucked the nightie after the birth.

Pootles2010 Wed 07-Sep-11 16:26:15

I was in no state to get changed, so just maternity trousers + top. They were first clothes to hand when it was time to set off to hospital. My hospital bag never made it out of the car.

notcitrus Wed 07-Sep-11 16:27:11

If the postnatal ward is as hot as mine was in Sept, you won't want to wear a thing!
I just threw on a huge T-shirt for going to the loo and used some ancient boxers of MrNC's to hold pads in place - much softer than new Primark pants. I actually left in the same t-shirt and long stretchy skirt and sandals that I'd arrived in nearly 5 days earlier.

Was naked in the pool and never got dressed after getting out - in retrospect that would be why MrNC was desperately trying to chuck a sheet over me when I had to transfer in the lift to the delivery suite! There was a sheet used to transfer me to postnatal, I remember that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now