Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please make me calm down!

(11 Posts)
helgaw99 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:17:04

Hi all
I am 13 weeks tomorrow and have my 1st scan on Friday morning.
I am constantly throwing up, still feel exhausted and have painful boobs. Had my booking in appt last week where they took all manner of blood and I would have expected them to call me by now if there was anything wrong.
The problem is I have totally convinced myself the scan will not show a baby. I am convinced I have had a MMC or I am making the whole thing up.
Anyone else felt like this in the run up to their scan?
Also- does anyone know the actual stats for MMC- how often does it happen? I have had no bleeding, cramps or anything to indicate I am not pregnant anymore- just terror about Friday morning.
I am being totally stupid aren't I?!
Hx

G1nger Wed 07-Sep-11 14:23:40

I cried at my first scan because finally I could see that there was definitely something in there. Until then, we just can't know. I don't know why - with the symptoms you list - you think you'll have had a miscarriage, though. They sound completely normal to me!

The blood that they took - I doubt they were testing to see if you're pregnant. They're looking for antibodies etc to see if you've got any issues (eg no chicken pox in your past, HIV, etc) that they'll need to take into account while your pregnancy progresses. You should just give the results department a call though if you're worried - certainly my ANC department was a bit slack on the getting back to me with results front.

I think you're being very stupid, yes, and very much like the rest of us! xx

Karmanna Wed 07-Sep-11 14:31:52

Don't worry - it's perfectly normal. I was half expecting the sonographer to say: "What are you doing here - there's no baby in there!" It's hard to imagine before you have concrete proof, but once you see your little one on the screen it will feel much more real!

Good luck at the scan and enjoy it! It's a very exciting experience! smile

As for your blood tests, the midwife will run through the results of these at your next appointment, and I would assume that if they find an issue with any of the tests they will let you know before, but can take 2 weeks + to get results back from the lab. It's mainly just routine to check for infections, as well as your blood group. If you're having a Down Syndrome screening at your dating scan, then they will also combine this with your blood test to give a more accurate picture. Don't worry, I'm sure it'll all be fine!

xx

DreamsOfSteam Wed 07-Sep-11 14:34:19

I felt a bit like that before my first scan. Don't worry you will go to your scan and it will be fine. good luck at the scan smile

NoMoreWasabi Wed 07-Sep-11 14:36:10

Fetal Medicine Centre website suggests in 2% of cases there is a MMC at the nuchal scan. So 98% chance it will be fine!

I am exactly the same. I am 11 weeks and have 2 weeks until my first scan. I have to confess that I have had a MMC discovered at the nuchal scan before, so I do have some reason to be freaked. But from what I understand it is comparatively rare, and to have strong symptoms and then have it happen is even rarer. I am also feeling very sick, and tired, although my boob soreness has eased off a lot.

I am sure it will all be fine.

Africagirl1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:47:32

The fact that you are having such strong symptoms is a great sign that everything is fine!

helgaw99 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:57:16

Thanks everyone, Just writing it down has made me feel better.

I will stop being silly now and carry on sucking my Orange Ice Lolly (to help keep my lunch down)!!

G1nger Wed 07-Sep-11 15:00:11

I was all about the orange juice ice lollies at your stage - enjoy!

NoMoreWasabi Wed 07-Sep-11 15:24:28

I should also add that the FMC tends to see more higher risk pregnancies and I think this is based off what they see. So in the population as a whole it may be lower than that. But it was the only stat I was able to find when I’d previously looked.

Mum2be79 Wed 07-Sep-11 19:23:54

This is me ... but 10 weeks ago! You're feeling 'normal'! Try not to worry. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a baby in there. When you go for your scan, it may seem all surreal. Also, don't be surprised if you can't see the HB! I couldn't even though the sonographer put a cross on it for me!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now