Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

suspect it maybe twins, will i get an earlyer scan???

(10 Posts)
talktalktalk Wed 07-Sep-11 13:43:05

i'm 5 weeks and showing well,sikness,size and dizzy faintness all seem to be on a par with my twin pregnancy. i'm worryed as my twins where born 3 months early and was wondering if i speak up to the doc could i get an earlyer scan? or do i just have to wait and wonder for the 14 week scan.....anyone know anything helpfull i'd be very greatfull.xx

twotesttickles Wed 07-Sep-11 19:58:03

Well I think they can get some idea by measuring your HCG levels from your blood can't they? I would mention it and see if he offers blood testing first.

serendipity16 Wed 07-Sep-11 20:39:56

You could ask but I'm not sure if they'd do a scan just because you think you're pregnant with twins. Early scans are normally only offered for if you're bleeding, in pain, previous history of miscarriage/ectopics, that kinda thing... thats not to say they won't say yes.
The thing is what would knowing your pregnant with twins do/affect you if you know at 6wks or at 12wks? I don't think your care would be any different at an early stage.
Yes your HCG levels could indicate a twin pregnancy BUT its not always the case. I've heard of people with normal levels having twins and women with really high levels having just 1 baby.
You could be showing early because your a bit bloated or because you've a previous pregnancy.
You could also pay for a private scan if you really didn't want to wait.

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Sep-11 20:43:03

In both pg I had an early scan to see if it was twins, as I was so sick. Neither pg was.

PinkFondantFancy Wed 07-Sep-11 23:36:47

What difference would it make even if they were twins. I know they come earlier but finding out at your 12 week scan would still give you loads of notice!!!

talktalktalk Thu 08-Sep-11 07:23:17

i shall see what the doc say's. i would just like to know as early a poss so i can get my head round the idea or i can can stop stressing. my previouse twins where both disabled tw 1 spent over a year in hospital after birth and i only managed to get him home by learning to re-sus him when he stopped breathing (witch he did often ) i lost him at 18 months old. his brother has hearing loss and possable autisum.so as you can imagen i'm really stressing to find out. xx

nannyl Thu 08-Sep-11 08:53:07

The Drs thought i might have twins this pregnancy. (Im 39+4 now)

I was hopsitalised with HG, my GP was the 1st to mention it at 6 weeks, and when in hopsital i kept being asked if it was twins but midwifes etc. (I had no idea)
It wasnt twins but i wasnt scanned earlier or anything like that.

still had to wait until 12 weeks, and "wonder" all that time!

BikeRunSki Thu 08-Sep-11 09:03:41

talktalktalk I would see your mw asap and ask for referal to EPU for scan ASAP. I think with a history like that you have good reason for an early scan.

Have you ever had a singleton pg? Did it feel different to this and your twin pg?

PinkFondantFancy Thu 08-Sep-11 09:12:53

talktalktalk so sorry to hear about your first experience. Do you live in London? if so, I've heard that St Georges do a walk in EPU so you can get an early pregnancy scan with no referral.

talktalktalk Thu 08-Sep-11 11:24:20

doc said to just increase folic acid and see the midwife, but she's booked till the 22nd!! so i just have to wait,althow the doc also informed me i'm 7 weeks gone now. i have a number to call and try to see a midwife sooner. i did have a singleton after the twins and this dose feel more like twins....much harder work!! it could just be i'm larger as it's my 3rd pregnancy and maybe i'm just very sensative to simptoms this time. i guess i'll find out in 7 weeks.xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now