Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ooo Induction booked in for Friday - Do I need an epidural?? stories/tips please

(9 Posts)
GeneralDisarray Wed 07-Sep-11 13:24:20

I think there's been a similar thread recently so apolgoies for any repetition! My waters broke (well trickled) last night and the hospital have said the latest they'll leave me before inducing is Friday morning. Does this make an epidural my only real option, is it THAT much more painful than natural labour? How do I get things kick started before Friday to avoid?? all stories and advice welcome!!

markusadam Wed 07-Sep-11 13:51:55

i have been induced 4 times and have only ever needed gas and air. my labours are very quick once my waters are broken from 2cm to being all over and having tea and toast in 3hrs!

GeneralDisarray Wed 07-Sep-11 13:55:03

Oo that would be nice!

Piffpaffpoff Wed 07-Sep-11 14:04:32

Hi, I was induced at term with both DCs for high BP, and I had gas and air and then pethedine (I think?) with an hour to go first time round, and then just gas and air the second.

First time round it took 26 hours from the first pessary to baby, of which 14 were what I would call 'in labour' i.e. contractions etc. Second time round was much faster, 15 hours from pessary to baby, with only 3 hours between first noticeable contractions and DD arriving. That was a bit of a shock, cos I was all set up for it to be as long as the first time so I didn't quite believe she was here so quickly!

I always come on these threads because there seems to be this real belief that induction equals long hard birth but that was certainly not my experience.

Valiant1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:12:34

i was 36+5 when my waters went and was induced at 37+4. i went in at 9 am and was given a drip (i don't think they use it any more) but they started the drip at 12pm and my dd was born at 5 to 5 the final push was to the count down of ready steady cook lol only had gas and air and half way through i had pulled it out the wall so had nothing for half an hour the m/w was laughing at me sad

pinkpeony Wed 07-Sep-11 17:26:34

General, I was in similar situation with DC1 - waters broke, they would only let me go a certain amount of time before inducing, labour finally started by itself and really slowly, wasn't progressing. So finally had the drip - but put in epidural before, and was great - strong back to back contractions but felt no pain (in normal labour you have gaps between contractions where you can rest, on the drip you don't which is why it is so painful). Went from 3cm to 10cm in less than 2 hours. DC1 born after 20 minutes of pushing, no intervention, tiny tear. Would never have been brave enough to try without an epidural as heard horror stories from friends who didn't get one (despite asking for one). Good luck, your baby will be here soon!

phlossie Wed 07-Sep-11 18:47:18

I was induced with DC1 at 40+9 - on Valentines Day (romantic!). Gel pessaries didn't work so I ended up being on the full whack of drip dosage. I didn't have a single contraction until 6pm on the 15th... but then it went off! By 10pm I was 4cm dilated and started on the gas and air. At about 10.40pm I begged for an epidural because I was thinking 1cm per hour = 6 more hours of this pain!! And it was bad. But, the midwife stalled me and by 11pm I was pushing (she knew things were progressing really quickly). My lovely son was born at 11.45pm - he's just started in year 1 at school, it was a long time ago!

Yes, it was a lot more painful and intense. With DC2 I was waiting for pain as bad, but it didn't happen and I only just got to hospital in time. But different people have different pain thresholds, so who knows how it'll feel for you! You may not get to the drip stage and I think that's what brings on the mega contractions.

If you're keen to avoid an epidural, try asking for a portable monitor so you can keep moving - I couldn't bear lying down. But it's not a badge of honour, so ask for one if you feel you need it! Also, bear in mind that you don't always get an epidural the second you ask - anaethistists may be busy with other patients.

Good luck! Being induced isn't ideal, but my experience was pretty good. If I were you, I'd be going to see an acupuncturist before then - I swear that's what brought on my labour with DC2.

Purplebuns Wed 07-Sep-11 19:03:49

I was induced with propess (a thing placed in your cervix) at 40+12 and had DD, 2 and a half hours later! Just gas and air, it was intense as I dilated so quickly. Hasn't put me off and it was fin. Good luck smile

Purplebuns Wed 07-Sep-11 19:04:06

*It was fine, even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now