Talk

Advanced search

Dealing with fleas

(8 Posts)
stripeywoollenhat Wed 07-Sep-11 11:45:55

Right, my own fault, forgot the cats' monthly treatment, but now we have fleas in our house and I'm 27 weeks pregnant and I don't know how to deal with it.
Spent yesterday steam cleaning the upholstery, but this resulted in agonising spd-like pelvic pain and today I'm moving very carefully indeed. I really don't think I can spray the whole house with pesticides, can I?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions....

Newmummytobe79 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:54:30

Sorry - I wasn't pregnant when our cat got fleas so I can't offer any pesticide advice but I'm sure your vet will be more than happy to offer advice.

Good luck!

stripeywoollenhat Wed 07-Sep-11 11:55:51

Thanks Newmummy - you're right, I'll phone my vet....

feekerry Wed 07-Sep-11 12:07:12

you can get sprays that are safe to use in the house around other pets and children. got one in my cuboard now that says totally safe to use in the house around young babies and other pets.......

Catsycat Wed 07-Sep-11 12:44:30

Hope the vet can help with something like RIP Fleas, or a fogger. They seem to work by spraying / setting them off then leaving the room for a set amount of time so the pesticide settles before you re-enter. Not sure on the specific guidelines about use in pg though.

If you apply a good flea treatment to the cat now, the fleas will be killed when they bite your cat. I also forgot our cats' treatment a couple of months ago. The vet recommended treating them and then deploying them in every room so they would attract and then kill the fleas.

Good luck.

G1nger Wed 07-Sep-11 14:32:06

The over-the-counter treatments often don't work. Get from the vets. I was going to suggest Catsy's suggestion of the spray you set off before you leave a room, combined with a spray you can use on things like upholstery directly - but as added advice, get your partner (or someone else) to do it. And hoover the whole place afterwards.

atalantis Wed 07-Sep-11 22:11:07

We had the same problem exactly a year ago. We couldn't shift the infestation with sprays from the vet (we went through two cans). In the end, we had to get a pest control guy in and pay him £90 to shift them. It was terrible -- he had to put down toxic powder everywhere, and we had a crawling 12-month-old at the time. In the end, we discovered that the infestation was worst in the hairy rug in our bedroom. If I were you, I'd try to find the main point of the infestation and blitz that (as well as treating the rest of the house, of course). Good luck!

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Sep-11 22:16:56

I am 33 weeks pg, and at about 25 weeks or so, we got fleas thanks to moggy, who thinks he is half pole cat. Anyway, rang first pest control people in yellow pages, explained that there was a pg woman and a 2 yo in house and they sorted it with non-toxic stuff. DS and I had to go out for a few hours. £90. Seems to have worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now