Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is a sweep like?

(14 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:28:38

I've heard stories that it really hurts/doesn't hurt at all ... so which is it?

Midwife said it may be uncomfortable - I find smears uncomfortable - so will it feel like that?

Also - do you bleed after?

Baby wasn't engaged at 40 weeks so not sure if she'll even be able to do it yet?

Sorry - 1st baby, overdue and after spending 9 months with my fingers in my ears everytime I heard the word labour or birth ... I'm a little scared now!

Thanks x

DreamsOfSteam Wed 07-Sep-11 10:33:48

When I had one it felt the same as the period pains I get, it was more uncomfortable than painfull. Ithink it depends alot on how ready you are for labour to start. If your not really ready to go into labour I think it is more painful.
you shouldn't bleed much, only a little bit of spotting.
good luck with your new baby! smile

hadenoughofthis Wed 07-Sep-11 10:40:43

Don't be scared! If I'm honest, if your body isn't ready then a sweep can be painful, but the key is to relax! The same goes for the birth really!

Concentrating on breathing during the sweep, it does help!

You may bleed a little after, I did, pop a pad in to be on the safe side!

Good luck smile

Newmummytobe79 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:44:50

Hi DreamsOfSteam and hadenoughofthis smile

Thanks for your posts and fingers (scuse the punn! grin) crossed baby is ready and it won't hurt too much!

DreamsOfSteam Wed 07-Sep-11 10:46:45

If it helps, I happily walked home after mine and carried on with my day as usuall, so wasn't that painful!

hadenoughofthis Wed 07-Sep-11 11:10:03

I had to collect my DS from school straight after, almost 2 mile round trip, so I agree with dreams, it's not so painful you need to take to your bed or anything!!!

Newmummytobe79 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:12:54

Excellent!

Thanks smile

nearlymumofone Wed 07-Sep-11 11:57:23

It's really not bad at all, I had a few (5!) and on my last my plug came out and my contractions started within half an hour. I didn't find them painful and would have them again.

Bumpsadaisie Wed 07-Sep-11 12:58:05

Different people react very differently. I didn't find it that big a deal. Its quite intense and uncomfortable, and I needed to do a few deep breaths, but that was about it.

Other people find it dreadful and like to use gas and air.

FWIW I didn't really find smears a problem either.

becks130 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:13:42

Hi,

I have had sweeps with both pregnancies and found that they only hurt when they actually work! I had 2 sweeps with my 1st and with the 1st one i hardly felt it and nothing happened BUT with the second attempt it was VERY uncomfortable and I did bleed after BUT my waters broke that night and my beautiful baby was born less than 24 hours after the sweep.

Try not to worry about it as the more tense you are the more unconfortable it will be.

Good Luck x

Misty9 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:22:10

Hi
I've just had one....and it's pretty similar to a smear in terms of discomfort. My cervix is tucked up apparently and a bit hard to reach in general, so I always find internals/smears very uncomfortable. Mw said she gave a "good" sweep and it felt like period cramps and pressure in my bum once she'd got her fingers in the right place. She said to expect some spotting and I've had some blood-tinged discharge since - which may be a show?? It's my first so no idea really...
Hope it went ok for you smile

LadyOfTheManor Wed 07-Sep-11 18:10:32

Had one to start ds off last year (am now 28 weeks pregnant-again! Foolish woman).

Uncomfortable is the word, the longer you can put up with it the better tbh. I found it more painful than a smear merely because it's a hand and not a tiny cotton bud...just grin and bear it, it won't last forever...mine worked, ds was born within 11 hours of me having it and was delivered by the same midwife that gave me the sweep!

thegingerone Wed 07-Sep-11 22:53:57

Found mine uncomfortable (cos I found it difficult to relax during internals in pregnancy) Had period cramp type feelings afterwards and a bit of spotting (I think..It was 2003!!) It's nothing to worry about. All the best with baby!!!!!

myweeangel Wed 07-Sep-11 23:42:16

Think it depends on how "rough" the doctor is. Mine was quite sore but was probably very tense because I'd been made to wait over an hour in the waiting room and had myself in a frenzy.
Also labour - don't fret. Again, was prepared for worst and it as nothing like people had made out. Congrats on your little bundle on the way and good luck with it all. Hope the sweep gets things started. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now