Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Handwashing reusable wipes. Is this completely bonkers?

(16 Posts)
Asturimama Wed 07-Sep-11 09:55:38

So, I had finally made up my mind about using washable wipes for nappy changing even though we are starting out with disposable nappies, and now my DH says he doesn't like the thought of washing out the poo in the washing machine...
I am guessing there's probably no one hand washing these, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions. Maybe you can rinse them and then put them in the washing machine?

Sorry if this is too silly...

Misty9 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:57:08

I reckon you could rinse them under the flushing toilet, then bung them in - also, how will he know....? wink
We'll be using cloth nappies as well, so will bung it all in together and breastfood poo is so runny anyway apparently.

nocake Wed 07-Sep-11 09:58:41

We don't use washable wipes but we do use washable nappies. Despite using a liner there is often poo left in the nappy and the washing machine deals with it without any problems.

FloydieDoydie Wed 07-Sep-11 10:00:55

I assume your DH realises that babygros etc. will get poo on as well? is he planing on handwashing all poo-contaminated items for you? grin

Purplebuns Wed 07-Sep-11 10:01:12

Hmm, if he is bothered about then you could rinse it first, however it is what a washing machine is for! Is baby here yet? I would say that handwashing you may not be able to use water that is hot enough and it won't be as effective.

I am assuming baby isn't here yet as I am sure DH will revise his opinion after a few poosplosions, where every garment baby is wearing gets a thick covering!

Awomancalledhorse Wed 07-Sep-11 10:03:43

We're going to be using cloth nappies, and whilst at home we'll be using cheapo flannels to wipe LO's arse (instead of wipes).

Have you explained to him that they'll be washed at a high temp, in a seperate wash, so there is no chance of him having poo covered clothes in the next wash. If he refuses to budge, just mention how 'fine' he seems to be with your grotty period stained pants or the towels you use to dry your arse/fanny after a bath going in the washing machine grin

kat2504 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:09:32

If he refuses to budge I suggest you make him do all the hand washing himself!

Honestly, what are washing machines for!? Why make extra work for yourself with hand washing at a time when you are going to be exhausted anyway.

Also hand washing will not be hot enough.

ImpyCelyn Wed 07-Sep-11 10:12:23

There's going to be so much poo and sick going in your washing machine that it's not worth keeping wipes out.

We use reusable nappies and wipes most of the time and I even bung them in with other stuff. It all comes out clean.

Apart from one memorable occasion when DH overfilled the machine and washed at 30, without tipping the contents of a post weaning nappy down the toilet <boak>

nancerama Wed 07-Sep-11 10:17:09

I use washable nappies, and usually handwash them before putting them in the washing machine to get the worst off. Breastfed poo isn't smelly so it's really not an unpleasant job.

You may find some things come out of the machine still stained a little yellow - it's possible after an explosive poo. If this happens, just hang them on the washing line to dry anyway. The sun will bleach them clean.

Sorry if the above seems obvious. Found out yesterday that most of my friends throw baby clothes away if the machine doesn't get them clean. If I did that DH would have no clothes left!

Asturimama Wed 07-Sep-11 10:18:56

Thanks everyone! Very good point about baby clothes and other items will be covered in lovely stuff too.
I am sure he will quickly change his mind once the baby is here, so I think I'm off to amazon to order some washable wipes!

BTW, how many would you recommend?

ImpyCelyn Wed 07-Sep-11 10:22:14

Don't order them from Amazon! Just buy some really cheap flannels somewhere and cut into quarters (depending on the original size). Buying them as "wipes" is a total rip off!

You'll need a really decent number of them. I think I have about 30. But I cut up existing some ancient nappies to make them. The more you have the better tbh, you'll use a lot in the early days and later you can use them for other things.

LawrieMarlow Wed 07-Sep-11 10:26:16

I used to use bits of fleece cut up for wipes. Some of them still exist a few years later (DD stopped wearing nappies over 4 years ago now smile)

There will be poo in the washing machine. It is fine smile

ErnesttheBavarian Wed 07-Sep-11 10:44:31

i also found fleece much better too, softer and also I think dryer on bum, plus dries in no time. I just bought half a meter of (purple - it was on special) in a fabric shop and cut it up. Still got it now, dc1 is 12!

Graciescotland Wed 07-Sep-11 10:46:51

Ikea does really cheap small towels (about 15p each I think) we bought a bunch of those and cut them into six which worked out about the size of a smallish flannel. You could have about thirty for a £1.

Asturimama Wed 07-Sep-11 11:02:44

Great tips everyone! really grateful for all the advice. Wish me luck with the DH grin!

PinkFondantFancy Wed 07-Sep-11 11:04:52

impy I wish there was a 'like' button on here like Facebook grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now