Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

breastfeeding and pregnant

(9 Posts)
cantsleep Tue 06-Sep-11 21:40:33

can bf while pregnant cause miscarriage? im 5 weeks and worried?

Offspring Wed 07-Sep-11 03:44:14

I'm not sure if it can or not, however I was still bf DD when I fell pg with this next one. She self weaned when I was 14 weeks pg (she was 14 months old at that point), I think that my milk may have changed taste as it went very watery looking and she lost interest. I'm 34 weeks now.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 07-Sep-11 07:14:27

nope. smile

It used to be thought that oxytocin released by bf (or sex) might make to uterus contract and so cause mc or premature labour. But we now know that this doesn't happen as the oxytocin receptors on the uterus are not switched on till labouris immenent (and therefore inevitable). Sadly many mw/obs/gp's are still unaware of this and tell women to wean. sad

I had an mc with my first pg, then had ds who is 18m and still bf, i'm also 36wks pg. smile

Congratulations, don't worry and come join us on the "is there a bf while pregnant thread?" thread on the bf board.

Offspring the different milk was probably "weaning milk" caused by raised progesterone levels. It tastes salty...nice. My ds didn't care but he did often need a drink of water with his milk! shock

pootlebug Wed 07-Sep-11 08:33:10

No - you'll be fine.

SoBroken Wed 07-Sep-11 08:43:43

No, I have breastfed my DS throughout this pregnancy and am now six days overdue so it certainly hasn't caused anything premature here!

Broodzilla Wed 07-Sep-11 09:18:02

Have a look at the kellymom website if you're worried, it's got lots of good, reassuring info.

Personally, I found bf incredibly uncomfortable during the first few weeks, and it used to really irritate me too... but I gritted my teeth and kept going, determined for DS to wean when he is ready. At about 12 weeks I did end up telling him that there is no boobies at night (I used to just plug him in and go back to sleep but with the nips feeling like they were being chewed on there was no way I could sleep through it...) which he, amazingly, accepted after a couple of nights. (The week after, at 21 months, he suddely started SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!)

I'm now 20 weeks and my milk has actually dried out. He still has a "bf" at night before he goes to sleep, god knows why. The other night I asked him if he actually got any milk, he replied yes. I asked him what it tasted like and he looked at me as if I'm dumb and said "like mama's boobs". :D

(Also, hello to MFM, I keep meaning to pop over to the thread!)

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:00:15

come over and say hello broodzilla (and anyone else) smile

It's not uncommon for dc's to dry nurse if milk disappears. Their patience is rewarded when the colostrum comes in (normally 20Something weeks...but no sign here yet!)

Fingers crossed for you sobroken. smile

cantsleep Wed 07-Sep-11 19:17:08

thankyou! have been so worried it could cause it because of oxytocin thing and i had been having pain and odd twinges.

feel much more reassured now smile

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 08-Sep-11 03:47:56

good luck cantsleep smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now