Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

A complete shopping list - I need help

(8 Posts)
unmaternal Tue 06-Sep-11 18:13:18

I live in a very rural area and we are set to go and shop for everything we need for arrival of baby in 6 weeks. We already have, pram, car seat, cot, changing mat, some clothes and a moses basket that have been given to us, but I really need some tips on what else I will need as once the baby is here it is going to be very difficult to buy anything that we have forgotten about. If you can think of anything that was helpful, big or small, I'd appreciate your tips as I am completely hopeless. It's a homebirth too so anything I need for that would be welcome advice.
Thanks

HPonEverything Tue 06-Sep-11 18:21:25

how are you planning on feeding? you might need some stuff for that e.g. sterilising unit, bottles

maybe something for distracting the baby a bit - like a baby gym, mobile type thing, or one of those baby rockers to put it in

i'm told muslin cloths are useful but I'm not sure why confused I've bought some anyway

hawthers Tue 06-Sep-11 18:24:42

re mulins - sick, poo, dribble (yours or the babies...), spilt tea basically multipurpose mopping cloth.

Debs75 Tue 06-Sep-11 18:25:29

Nappies
Wipes
Cotton wool
Nappy cream, bepanthen is good
Breast pads
feeding bras
bedding for pram and moses basket
sleeping bags
first rattle type toys
baby monitor
baby bath
baby seat for indoors
sunshades for car,living in hope of some more sun
muslins
swaddling blanket?
A stash of ready meals as you won't want to cook for a while

MummyAbroad Tue 06-Sep-11 18:41:13

nipple cream is an absolute must. Lansinoh is considered the best.

If bf-ing You might also want to have some nipple shields on stand by. Using them is contraversial but if you really are far from the shops I'd rather have some on standby as an emergency, in case bf-ing is really painful but you want to keep trying.

boots sell little bottles of sterile saline solution that you can squirt up babies nose if they have a cold/blocked nose. Its not an essential, but very handy to have around the house in the first few months. It really clears them out and babies who cant breath well cant feed well.

Matronalia Tue 06-Sep-11 18:52:31

wrap sling like the Moby. Godsend if you have a colicky or grumpy baby, as you can comfort them and still have a free hand. Also good if you want to take a small baby somewhere tricky to maneoevre with a pushchair e.g. country lane, tube, bus, somewhere without a lift.

front opening nightdress/pyjamas for you, so you can bf/skin to skin without exposing too much skin in the night.

A dummy just in case. I swore mine would never have one and didnt with dd, but there was a moment with DS where he had cried for 4 hours, it was the middle of the night and I was in tears. The dummy kept him quiet long enough to recover myself a little.

jammyscone Tue 06-Sep-11 19:10:05

For home birth there's a helpful checklist of things you might need here - http://www.homebirth.org.uk/list.htm

unmaternal Wed 07-Sep-11 11:32:05

Thanks for the tips - the list is getting pretty long now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now