Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

OK I am staying off the fruit juice for the remainder of my pregnancy!

(13 Posts)
HPonEverything Tue 06-Sep-11 17:57:09

Two weeks ago I developed an intense need for Pure Orange Juice and I was getting through one of those big Tesco's cartons in a day. Felt really proud of myself for how much vitamin C I was taking in.

Then I developed symptoms like cystitis so I added cranberry juice into the mix. The 'cystitis' got worse and worse and became an unbearable itch.

This is when I twigged I probably actually have thrush (although MW said it was negative) and that all the fruit juice has made everything 10x worse. I laid off it, tried to 'alkaline' things down a bit, and lo and behold the symptoms have gone.

Bad bad orange juice angry Not to mention the effect it had on other parts of my body blush which shall remain nameless suffice to say that I had a few close calls.

Crosshair Tue 06-Sep-11 18:08:05

moderation! grin

LDNmummy Tue 06-Sep-11 18:36:58

Too much sugar feeding the thrush from the sounds of it.

Eat lots of bio yoghurt to balance it out.

I have been a juice addict through my pregnancy but mainly the very yummy cranberry and raspberry from Ocean Spray.

I could drink one carton a day so had to force myself to slow it down.

HardCheese Tue 06-Sep-11 19:51:02

Oh, god, I've been necking citrus juice since I got pregnant, and while I don't have any symptoms, a urine sample picked up mild thrush - I never made the connection with the juice addiction! Thanks, HPonEverything - this has been a very useful piece of information, and something I wouldn't have worked out for myself. (There I was, priding myself on my major craving being actually comparatively healthy. Duh.)

banana87 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:27:40

The things our body does to us in pregnancy! smile

Everytime I try to be good and drink juice I feel horribly nauseated after (I am 29 weeks)...so I've had to give up too!

InnocentRedhead Tue 06-Sep-11 22:36:41

Ohhh, i don't know what i would do if tis happened to me.

Already had to give up pizza as i was sick everytime i have it. I still really want it though!!!

candr Wed 07-Sep-11 10:56:09

Innocent I have had to give up pizza too, just makes me vomit which is strange. I have been necking loads of apple juice - good or bad for me???

InnocentRedhead Wed 07-Sep-11 11:09:38

Probably the melted cheese or something on it, or the amount of grease or whatever, but it even happens with homemade pizza.

Apple juice has to be good smile and it isn't too acidic compared to orange juice so it shouldn't make you feel ill.

Daisypants Wed 07-Sep-11 12:29:02

Duh, I think that is totally my problem! I usually avoid all fruit juices as they are so high in sugar but have incorporated orange juice into my diet to take with my iron tablets (vitamin c helps them absorb); thinking back I have been trying to get rid of a similar problem for about a month which is perfectly in sync with when I started downing OJ 3x's a time. Thanks for the post, I hope it helps me as well!

ghosteditor Wed 07-Sep-11 12:31:13

that's so funny - I'm 21 weeks and have been crazing orange juice, but everytime I drink some my heartburn gets much worse. I can't believe something so innocuous could be so, well evil wink

HPonEverything Wed 07-Sep-11 14:17:55

It's getting so there's very little I like that I actually CAN drink.
No alcohol, no coke, no tea and now no orange juice angry I love Appletise but the sugar content is sky high and it costs a fortune.

If they start saying pregnant women should lay off milk I don't know what I'll do - induce myself probably!

candr Wed 07-Sep-11 19:10:34

mmmm milk, I drink about 3 pints in the evening but has to be REALLY cold. I seem to drink a lot at the mo!

pootlebug Wed 07-Sep-11 21:16:55

HPonEverything - if you love Appletise mix half apple juice (just the stuff from concentrate) with half sparkling water. It is a reasonable approximation, not so sugary, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

As some forward planning for post birth - if you breastfeed, citrus juices aren't ideal then in big quantities either in my experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now