Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby thermometer - do I need one?

(4 Posts)
redexpat Tue 06-Sep-11 12:16:48

Afternoon all
Baby thermometers come up on the list of stuff to buy, but they dont look any different to my digital thermometer. Wise MNetters, please tell me:
1. How are they different?
2. Why are they necessary? Surely I can stick my usual one in the baby's armpit and get the same result.

I've looked at some websites and none of them answer these questions. Thanks.

Flisspaps Tue 06-Sep-11 12:18:53

They might be chunkier/marginally easier to hold when dealing with a hot wriggly baby, but nothing that would require getting one if you didn't already have a thermometer.

I don't think I've ever used a thermometer on DD, a hand on her back is usually enough to tell me if she's got a temperature.

nocake Tue 06-Sep-11 12:24:14

We have one that takes your temperature from your ear, which is dead easy to use with a baby and is very quick. Putting a thermometer under a baby's armpit should be just as reliable but will be harder to do. If you've got one already don't bother buying another one just for the small amount of convenience.

redexpat Tue 06-Sep-11 12:40:41

Marvellous. Thanks for speedy and informative responses. I love Mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now