Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Belly button piercing

(20 Posts)
ShoeJunkie Mon 05-Sep-11 20:49:04

When did everyone take out their piercing (if at all)? I'm 16 weeks and it's starting to feel a bit uncomfortable.

MissRee Mon 05-Sep-11 20:50:33

You can buy maternity belly bars - my friend changed hers to one and it lasted right through her pregnancy with twins!!

megansmummy1 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:55:33

I have had a special maternity one fitted at about 14 wks in both pregnancies and has been comfy full way through though you may be asked to take it out for 20 wk scan. Got mine at local piercing clinic for a fiver - and they fitted it!

cravingcake Mon 05-Sep-11 20:59:02

I took mine out around 12 weeks, my belly was starting to show then & i didnt like it poking out. It healed over around 26 weeks & now i'm left with what looks like a very stretched vampire bite smile (currently 31 weeks)

herethereandeverywhere Mon 05-Sep-11 21:11:42

I lasted until about 34/36 weeks but despite being massive my belly button never did a proper outy, only went sort of flat. It was the stretching that made it feel a bit sore, like when your trousers hook themselves on the top by accident.

blueeyedmonster Mon 05-Sep-11 21:24:18

Last time I got a pregnancy one, This time I took it out at about 17 weeks. The hole closed in about a day!

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Mon 05-Sep-11 21:33:38

Mine stayed open somehow long after I had my son. Maybe because it had stretched?

Catsycat Mon 05-Sep-11 23:09:56

I got a flexible plastic maternity belly bar from ebay, which lasted both pgs until about 38 weeks. By that time my piercing was about an inch above my belly button! Eventually, the skin looked and felt like it was about to tear right over the bar, so I took it out. Put it back in a couple of days after my CSs, and it was fine.

Honeydragon Mon 05-Sep-11 23:13:29

I just swapped mine for a longer one, although you can get bendy silicon ones.

I left mine in during both pregnancies until the point dh became convinced it would ping out without warning and embed in his skull hmm, so about 36 weeks.

my2centsis Mon 05-Sep-11 23:21:31

with dd i took mine out at about 12 weeks put it back in about 2months after she was born. the hole never closed up

LPO Tue 06-Sep-11 07:45:50

I took mine out at about 12 weeks when it was uncomfy to wear. But a warning... my stomach looks a total mess from where i had it. I don't know if it would have been better to try and get a maternity one, but I have a big slit (heeled up) from where the hole was and all my stretch marks seem to stem from it. That may be TMI, but just thought I'd advice on maybe going for a maternity bar.

HPonEverything Tue 06-Sep-11 10:56:16

At my 12-wk scan I was asked to remove it (actually DH removed it as I can't bear to fiddle).

Like LPO it looks a bit of a mess. No stretch marks yet as I am still pregnant, but it sort of looks like a buttonhole in a badly made cardigan. The copious amounts of bio-oil I've been applying haven't really made a lot of difference.

jamama Tue 06-Sep-11 11:49:54

I left a silicon one in until about 24 weeks, but like herethere I found as my navel got shallower it was catching on clothes and becoming sore, so I took it out. Hole still open at 31 weeks, but slightly more pigmented than usual and elongated sideways ifkwim. Will see if any of it goes back to 'normal' PN.

ShoeJunkie Tue 06-Sep-11 20:07:28

Thanks everyone - sounds like my best bet it to try a flexible one or failing that just take it out! smile

Nagoo Tue 06-Sep-11 20:19:20

I took mine out, it got too uncomfortable.

I didn't put it back in, although I could. Let's just say I no longer want attention focused on that area.

outthere Tue 06-Sep-11 20:27:10

I'm 28 weeks and only just put my maternity bar in (the long, straight plastic kind). It was a bit too late really because it was starting to get sore and it's looking a bit angry now. I think the fact that the bar part isn't curved is the key because it's not pulling the hole forward any more, the skin is kind of stretching round it IYSWIM.

FWIW I took it out all together for my last pg and the resultant scar was so awful (not just a hole but a big, long "gash" - I looked like I had two belly buttons) that I had the peircing redone just to cover it up!

The tatoo place I got my pg bar from were brilliant and told me to come and see them if I had any problems or concerns whatsoever...

HPonEverything Tue 06-Sep-11 21:51:58

outhere that sounds a bit like mine, and I'm not even sure that getting it redone will make any difference to mine but I'll probably give it a go - it'll be a good incentive to try and get my pre-pg stomach back anyway...

H007 Wed 07-Sep-11 10:10:11

I have the top and bottom of my belly button pierce the top bar I took out around 23 weeks and replaced with a plastic one that I bought from a company I found on Amazon was like £2.50 or something. The bottom one a ring is still in at 29+5 as I am struggleling to undo the ring, I do have a plastic maternity one to go in it but as it is not causing me any bother at the moment I think I will leave it... If it starts to pull or get irritated may have to result to sawing it off haha

jamama Wed 07-Sep-11 11:05:14

H007, if you do find you want to take it out, I have always found tattoo/piercing places very helpful with recalcitrant closure balls (or try putting on a pair of latex gloves, helps with getting a good purchase on the ball). When I had a ring, it was the tiniest size (I had a very shallow navel pre-pg), which made getting the balls in/out tough. They never asked for any cash to help.

Cutelittlecatlover Wed 07-Sep-11 11:22:23

I put a plastic bendy one in when I was pg with ds (hes nearly 2 now) but by about 32 weeks it looked awful where the skin had stretched so thin I could see the bar underneath so I took it out. Its healed on the inside but I still have 2 holes that are stretched out (that sounds a bit wrong!) and it looks like it won't ever heal. I'm currently 9 weeks pg so not too concerned about it atm but after I've lost the weight from this baby I'm going to get it pierced again to cover it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now