Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How young was your baby when it started sleeping in nursery

(75 Posts)
benne81 Mon 05-Sep-11 13:26:26

This is a long story (see the cats and babies thread) but I'm thinking of moving the baby into the nursery at quite an early age to make sure that there is no risk of my cat jumping in the moses basket with the baby. I know that the official guidance is that the baby should stay in the same room as you for 6 months - but how many people actually do this? when did yours go in the nursery? My mum was shocked the baby is expected to sleep in the same room as the adults and apparently I was straight into the nursery from day one (although if you listen to my mum we also didn't have central heating/ food/ running water etc in my day!!). I would be really interested to hear peoples experiences of how old theri babies made the transition

dribbleface Mon 05-Sep-11 13:30:03

DS was 5 mths because he outgrew moses basket and we cannot fit a cot in the bedroom.

will read cat thread to help me understand!

Rosa Mon 05-Sep-11 13:32:36

When they started sleeping through properly . Both were over 6 months as i was fed up of getting cold feet going to the childs room and in some cases coming back with child until it settled properly.Get a cat net over the basket and ban the cat from your room until ready to move. Presume you will have to keep the door closed when baby in its own room anyway to stop the cat from going in so just close your door !

Rosa Mon 05-Sep-11 13:33:08

sorry not read the other cat and baby thread.......

Iggly Mon 05-Sep-11 13:33:27

Not sure why a cat wins over the baby confused

DS was in with me until around 6 months. He was a terrible sleeper so there's no way I'd have moved him earlier. With hindsight I'd share with him a bit longer as it was a killer getting up and going to his room (as opposed to half waking and sorting him out when we were sharing). I ended up getting a cheap foam bed so could bunk in with him - still have to now on occasion at nearly 2!

findmeintheflowerbed Mon 05-Sep-11 13:35:26

DD was 3 months, moved due to hot weather and the fact our bedroom was way hotter than her room, which doesn't get the afternoon sun.
Probably would have stayed longer had temperature not been an issue.
I have friends who moved their DCs into own rooms anything from 3 weeks to 7 months...the earlier ones tended to be because of noise - either the baby snuffling too loudly or them waking the baby when they came to bed.
My antenatal teacher told us the reason you are supposed to be in the same room for 6 months was because your breathing will regulate the baby's breathing and the carbon dioxide levels in the room...althought I have no idea how true this is and have never researched it myself.
Personally I found it easier to have DD in our room for night feeds.

FannyAnnPam Mon 05-Sep-11 13:37:25

about 3 days... no harm done at all.

Caz10 Mon 05-Sep-11 13:41:22

Look on the FSID website here for info and research etc

Tigresswoods Mon 05-Sep-11 13:41:26

12 weeks. Transition v easy. Babies are so adaptable!

pozzled Mon 05-Sep-11 13:42:25

DD1 was just over 5 months. DD2 will be much older as we don't have a nursery or bedroom for her, probably a year or more.

nocake Mon 05-Sep-11 13:46:02

DD was in with us until 6 months. There is good evidence, as someone has posted above, for keeping the baby in with you for at least 6 months. DD was already doing naps in her bedroom when we moved her so it wasn't difficult.

sleepevader Mon 05-Sep-11 19:22:25

The reason cat is relevant I think that due to flat layout cat flap is in ops bedroom and there is no alternative.

I think you will need to wait and see. I reckon the cat will ignore baby. If not try the lemon peel or tin foil trick.

We have a cat too and are expecting. DP reckons she will just want more cuddles with whosoever lap is free. My best friends cat went missing and never returned when her baby was born do don't shut cat out. Just be firm.

Besom Mon 05-Sep-11 19:26:53

I was paranoid about the cat but in the event there's no way she would have gone near dd. I bought the cat nets but never used them. You might be worrying about nothing.

Flisspaps Mon 05-Sep-11 19:35:11

I'd tape up the cat flap, and then only allow it in/out via the front door. I'm afraid the cat's needs would have to come second to the baby for me, but then I'm really not a cat person.

ThroughTheRoundWindow Mon 05-Sep-11 20:19:12

Baby went in her own room at 4 1/2 months when she outgrew the moses basket. We were really worried about it being too soon etc etc but in fact we all slept much better and she didn't come to any harm.

3 months later I'm still getting up in the night to see to her though sad

learningtofly Mon 05-Sep-11 20:29:36

Well Ds was 6 months but he was a small baby and hadn't outgrown the Moses basket. I would have kept him in longer with us except it came apparent that we were disturbing him during the night (dh does snore if he lies on his back) so moved him.

Tbh it was an easy transition, having turned the cot into the cotbed this weekend has been a bit trickier!

diddygirl Mon 05-Sep-11 20:50:07

9 months!

somethingkindaoooh Mon 05-Sep-11 20:55:20

DS was 6 wks when we put him into his own room..we do have a small house though and could hear him really well from ours. I was never told by midwife that i had to wait till 6mths and only recently found this out during a conversation with my sister about her moving her DS into his own room. The first night in his own room was the first time my DS slept through the night...and he has done nearly every night since for the past 3 years... So clearly no regrets on my behalf...however, I do wonder if I had known about the recommended 6mths if I would have done things differently??!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 05-Sep-11 20:59:47

Just after 6 months for both of our ds's when the crib was getting a bit small for them and night feeds were becoming less frequent.

The FSID research was also a factor in us keeping them in with us for that long. If anything awful had happened and we'd complied with the guidelines then that's one thing, but if anything awful had happened and we'd not complied with them that's a different matter altogether.

Broodzilla Mon 05-Sep-11 21:17:38

Just a thought... As it really is both healthier for the baby and easier for you to be in the same room for at least the first 6 months, would you consider sleeping in the baby's room with the baby for that time? If you're planning on bfing, you may well find yourself cosleeping anyway, as others have said.

And either way, your DH/DP will probably appreciate at least the odd night on his own if he's having to get up in the morning to go to work.

Broodzilla Mon 05-Sep-11 21:25:42

...in answer to your question, at 23 months, DS still hasn't moved. I've always breastfed, and coslept from about 4 weeks onwards.
Originally ended up cosleeping due to the ease of nightfeeds, then obsessively researched cosleeping (was told by mw that it's a nono) and found it actually is safer for the baby. DS was born prematurely, so as Iwish says above, it felt wrong no to...

And now that he's older, and I'm away working all day, it's lovely to be able to connect.

You may want to check out drmomma.org about the benefits of cosleeping if it is of interest to you.

RockChick1984 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:54:42

DS outgrew his moses basket at around 2.5 months, we have no room in our bedroom for a cot for him (and no room in his room for a bed for me!) so he went in his own room and we started using an angel sounds monitor thingy that sounds an alarm if he doesn't move / breathe for 20 seconds. Did find that he sleeps much better in his own room (not through the night but immediately dropped 1 night feed).

NinkyNonker Mon 05-Sep-11 22:05:51

10 months, nearly 11.

thegingerone Mon 05-Sep-11 22:49:19

ds1 (8yr now) went into own room straight away. Went straight into cot and tiny house so no room in our room and his room was very close and I didn't sleep properly as he was my first so could here him breathing (in stereo through monitor and down corridor)
ds2 (4.5 yr now) slept with us til he was 5 (ish) months when we moved into current home (from a slightly bigger than first home rental house) He then shared with his almost 4 yr old brother til we sorted some seperate rooms out (They're back together again now in bunk beds!) I spent almost another year traipsing into his room to feed/settle him though.
dc3 will sleep in our room til he/she grows out of crib I'm borrowing from friend. (I might end up in the spare bed in baby's room depending on bfing/dh getting grumpy about early starts/etc)

All babies have slept much better in own rooms. (I obviously snore louder than my eldest son!)

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 05-Sep-11 23:24:58

I read both this and the Cat Thread avidly, as am in almost the same situation. Due to layout of the flat, the baby's room is the only room we can guarantee the cats won't get into. Irrespective of the cat situation, I will almost certainly put the baby in its own room from as soon as possible.

FSID guidelines are just that: guide lines. We live in a smoke free house, baby will always sleep feet to foot, no loose covers etc and we wont be co-sleeping, so I really don't feel theres a 'risk'. I think experts attribute cot death with baby sleeping too deeply to wake itself should it stop breathing and advise that it sleeps in with parents so that it is prevented from drifting into too deep a sleep (due to noise). Surely by these same rules, baby should have all of it's sleeps in a room you are in, which seems really bizarre to me.

People do seem a bit hmm when I tell them baby will be in it's own room s soon as possible, but I do feel this is an "each to their own" situation. Will be stealing the lemon pee trick for whenever baby is in our room though, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now