Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying to NYC at 26 weeks pregnant... am I mad?

(15 Posts)
LoveInAColdClimate Mon 05-Sep-11 09:38:05

DH and I would like to spend a long weekend in New York in December as it will be our last chance pre-baby and i somehow sense that city breaks may become less attractive with a pram! However, I will be 26 weeks pregnant. How do you think I'll find the flight and then the walking around and general hustle and bustle? This is our first DC so find it hard to imagine how I'll be feeling by then. Thank you!

largeginandtonic Mon 05-Sep-11 09:48:14

I did it. Was preg with dd. It was fab. Big enough to have a nice bump and get an upgrade on the plane. Not too big you can't do anything.

I hid the bump so we could do the helicopter ride over the city too! Was amazing.

Plus you can eta your heart out as pregnant.

Go and have a fab time.

I also flew to Mexico when about 24 weeks with ds4. Also fab hol and no issues on the long plane ride.

ChildofIsis Mon 05-Sep-11 09:50:24

I did it too. NYCity in the winter 25 weeks and too hot. I was the only person in the city with no coat!

Sandra2011 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:07:32

Be careful what you eat.

My NY friend just told me yesterday about her pregnant colleague who had a "bad" meal in a fancy restaurant. She ended up in the hospital with some bad complications and baby was born prematurely at 28 weeks.

wombatinwaiting Mon 05-Sep-11 10:28:44

Not mad in the slightest - very sane in my opinion to do that pre-baby. I just flew at 27 weeks into Prague and out of Munich (from Dubai so approx 6 hour flight) and absolutely fine other than big fat Czech bloke in front of me who insisted on laying back seat as far as possible and snoring for the duration.... would have swapped with DH but I needed the aisle seat to go for about one wee per hour!

A city break is brill as you can stop as often as you need to for a coffee / hot chocolate and use their facilities (if you're anything like me!) A couple of other things to consider:

Flight stockings - highly unattractive but def recommended
Check your travel insurance that it does include the States - you have to pay extra on some policies for cover in the States
Fitness to fly certificate from your doctor - most airlines don't need this til 28 weeks, but I think it doesn't hurt
As per largegandt above, bumps can def get you upgrades - mention it to every member of staff that you can!

Enjoy - am jealous already as all being well I'll be up to my eyeballs in nappies and no sleep when you're there (due date is 24 Nov!)

Cleverything Mon 05-Sep-11 10:29:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wombatinwaiting Mon 05-Sep-11 10:30:03

Oh and the walking around is great exercise - take it at your own pace. NY is wonderful on foot and there's always Magnolia Bakery to stop and get an energy cupcake!

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 05-Sep-11 10:32:16

Thanks, all! Really helpful and reassuring. Thanks. I was worried everyone would say I was crazy to consider it.

startail Mon 05-Sep-11 10:41:28

You'll be fine I flew to Washington on my own with a toddler. Met up with DH and went all over the East coast at ~20 weeks with DD2.
Just check airlines rules, at some point you need a Drs certificate and check your insurance.
I found I was far less tired once I looked pregnant than earlier on ( and I stopped getting travel sick) so 20 - 34 + weeks was fine for doing things.

cravingcake Mon 05-Sep-11 11:22:10

Go for it, if you are used to flying it will be fine, and NY is a fantastic place to see. You say you are planning on going in December so thought I should point out I went last year at Thanksgiving (last weekend of November) and would suggest maybe going after this or before simply because they have massive sales in all the shops on the friday after Thanksgiving thursday and there was lots of pushing and shoving and you could hardly move around in the shops (even at 2pm when the shops opened at 5am) so may not be such a pleasureable experience. If you do end up going then, perhaps plan to do a tourist site seeing thing on that Friday rather than popping into Macy's for a look around then. As Wombatinwaiting says, Enjoy - I am jealous as I also will be up to my eyeballs in nappies and no sleep.

YougreatPamplemousse Mon 05-Sep-11 11:24:56

Go for it I flew to Sydney at 26weeks and it was fine. My MW said it was the best time to go as we were past the worry of the 20w scan and before I was to huge to enjoy anything.

Sprite21 Mon 05-Sep-11 12:07:55

I did this in the spring and was also about 6 months at the time. Alas no upgrade despite the fact that my husband was flying business class (he was on a business trip and I was just tagging along).
We had a lovely time but NYC is a walking city and my feet were exhausted at the end of each day. Make sure you have very comfy, roomy shoes.
I found New Yorkers extremely friendly and supportive about the bump and strangers would tell me 'congratulations' as I walked past. Also got offered a seat every time on the subway (which is way more than I can say for London, where it has maybe happened once).
People would also do things like move me to the front of the queue (line) because I was pregnant.
So all in all a lovely visit, enjoy!

scarlettlips Mon 05-Sep-11 12:47:46

Go have an AMAZING time...not at all jealous envy smile

Take all your hospital notes (just in case) and make sure you have insurance to cover everything!!!!!!!

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 05-Sep-11 12:57:43

Thanks, everyone! Will make sure insurance covers everything possible and book it, I think! How exciting! Thanks.

TheBride Mon 05-Sep-11 13:02:48

If you're in "coach", American airlines have better leg room than BA. No free booze, but you probably wont care about that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now