Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else in total denial? ;)

(13 Posts)
Beesok Sun 04-Sep-11 22:31:36

I'm 34 wks tomorrow and so far really detached from the "birth"...don't get me wrong, I have all the pregnancy yoga dvds, books, birth ball even stocked up on raspberry leaf tea and have almond oil ready for perineal massage smile
But I can't seem to be bothered confused
My nesting instinct def. kicked in as the baby's "wardrobe" is washed and ironed and I have cleaned parts of my flat that normally would be nonexitent to me....
It's just that tiny little obstacle before I get to see baby i.e. I have to push her out somehow smile which is not on my list of things to prepare for.....

Anyone had a straightforward, (relatively) easy birth in spite of not reallly preparing for it? ;)

pinkyp Sun 04-Sep-11 22:33:25

I don't think you can 'plan' for labour, I never did...I knew it was coming but that was it. You sound really organised!!

Beesok Sun 04-Sep-11 23:38:04

Thanks pinkyp - I am organised control freak in day to day stuff so obviously in a bit of frenzy before baby arrives in terms of preparing the house etc and have been off on mat leave so have lots of time to make "to do lists"
what am worried about is that I am taking care of all the things that don't really matter (like sorting out the dining room cupboard) but just cant seem to relax and do a pregnancy yoga class - which would probably be more beneficial smile

princessdave Sun 04-Sep-11 23:50:59

Ours was due today although no sign. I was in denial until well into the third trimester, then freaked out a bit post-ante natal class. It was incredibly informative so I was less scared reading about labour & pain relief afterwards. Now I just want something to happen! Been having physio on my pelvis the last four weeks so am ready for the baby to come out now & relieve the pressure down there! Feel strangely calm but am prepared for panic to set in once things kick off smile

Scheherezade Mon 05-Sep-11 01:40:12

I kind o fget what you mean - am 35 weeks and can't believe will have to actually fit a baby out of THERE! Haven't washed baby clothes & bedding yet, as it could be another 5-7 weeks yet, and I don't want it all sitting around getting dusty. Will probably wash the week am due. Have organised everything though and am pretty much ready to go!

BeeMyBaby Mon 05-Sep-11 03:21:13

I was like that with my first, I went to the antenatal classes but didn't really think about what would actually happen during the birth and because of my mothers births I presumed baby would come at 42 weeks and that was it, so there was no point thinking about it before then. I ate incredibly badly and only joined family dog walks every few of days so was very unfit. I never bothered with a birth plan.
At 37.4 weeks I started to get pains when I woke up at 6am and honestly had no idea what was happening, and thought I had a trapped nerve - even sent DH off to his dentist appointment and mocked him for suggesting I was in labour. By 9.30 I got to hospital as was in so much pain I couldn't stay home and there was a possibility I'd had a show, although I still thought it unlikely, to be told I was 9.5cm dilated, DD was born at 11.30 with G&A.

So I was unprepared and it was easy. It then took me about 6 weeks to recover from the shock of having DD as it was like DD had come out of nowhere, but I now understand how incredibly lucky I was with the whole situation.

I truly believe planning gets you nowhere and its all about luck.

GiganticusBottomus Mon 05-Sep-11 03:37:08

Personally I think 'birth plan' is a contradiction in terms! Dd caught me out early - my waters broke, I walked round to MIL's and told her. She went to full action stations, got me to the car with my hospital bag at which point I sat down and said "I'm not ready" - apparently neither was dd, she didn't come until 2 days later and then had to be delivered by section. It wasn't traumatic though (god bless epidurals) just long!
No point to this ramble just press on with the dining room cupboard and you'll be fine. Good luck smile

Beesok Mon 05-Sep-11 11:44:35

Thanks everyone! your stories are really reassuring smile Hope I join the didn't-plan-for-it-happened-quickly-and-was-OK camp smile

I was very fit pre-pregnancy and will try to get some exercise walks in the next few weeks but I guess I will focus on cleaning for now smile
I tried to watch one born every minute and it either terrified me, bored me (!) or made me queasy - I guess I just prefer not to know some of the details and just go with the flow on D Day smile

Scheherezade Mon 05-Sep-11 11:47:46

or as I'm calling it, B-Day! grin

sjuperwolef Mon 05-Sep-11 11:50:21

im 32 weeks and had god awful tummy ache yesterday i swear i thought i was going into labour it scared me witless! ive not had a baby for yrs i had a bloody easy labour/delivery with dd so i have no real reason to worry but i keep putting it to the back of my mind and pretending it isnt going to happen hmm maybe not the best idea!

<sticks fingers back in ears - lalalalala>

ToriaPumpkinPasty Mon 05-Sep-11 11:54:32

I'll be 33 weeks this weeks and had honestly not really thought much about it until 28 weeks. Then I had a massive internal freak out for about two weeks and now I'm back to being serene. Have had my tour of the maternity unit and think something in my brain has just said "It has to happen, it will happen, it will be fine."

<Disclaimer: My mother is a MW and I've literally seen it all before>

mumblejumble Mon 05-Sep-11 14:01:23

I am 32 weeks, have a 2 year old dd, this is my 6th child, and have been struck with amnesia about labour and what happens. I think I thought dd was my last and sort of erased the information or something hmm
I can't remember when to start with the raspberry leaf tea.
I know that I used Clary sage oil for labour and it was marvellous.
I have to see the consultant this week and have no idea what to say to her.

Beesok Mon 05-Sep-11 17:20:56

mumblejumble my MW told me I can start having one cup of raspberry leaf tea daily at 32 wks and increase it slowly after that - I personally don't mind the taste so am starting to have 2 cups a day from this week..

how did you use the clary sage oil? is it for massage? inhaling? sorry for dumb question but ANYTHING that will make labour easier is on my list smile

just got back from my 34 wk scan - placenta has moved and baby seems to be in an ideal position and not too big smile fingers crossed the little diva stays like this! Then I can really go into denial mode hehehehe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now