Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is anyone else making their own baby blanket or doing something similar?

(63 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Sun 04-Sep-11 15:54:22

I just started yesterday. I had decided for a while that I wanted to make my baby a personal gift so settled on crocheting a blanket. I'm an absolute beginner so have used youtube for instruction videos.
Just wondering if anybody else is doing this while waiting for their baby to arrive..

NoodieRoodie Sun 04-Sep-11 15:57:00

I haven't done this but so far my DM has knitted a cot blanket, my MIL has crotcheted one and my gran has made a patchwork cot blanket so my baby's going to have lots of personal homemade things.

So far I'm trying to motivate myself to get knitting!

scepticalexpat Sun 04-Sep-11 16:03:26

I'm knitting a really complicated baby blanket with elephants in different colours knitted in, a border, embroidery, applique, and a crocheted edge. God knows what I was thinking - the baby had better not come early as I'll need all the remaining 9 weeks to finish it!

localcrackpot Sun 04-Sep-11 16:07:09

I'm doing a big counted cross-stitch alphabet sampler that will have the baby's name, weight and date of birth on eventually.

MrsHuxtable Sun 04-Sep-11 16:10:31

You all sound like total experts. I'm soo jealous. I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate the baby's name into the blanket but I'm worried it'll be too difficult for me..

Misty9 Sun 04-Sep-11 16:17:56

I'm doing the most basic blanket possible smile involves stitching a piece of fleece and a piece of patterned cotton together then turning right-side out. I considered knitting one but due tomorrow and haven't even managed to finish sewing the simple one... blush it is hand sewing though...

cat64 Sun 04-Sep-11 16:20:53

Message withdrawn

PotteringAlong Sun 04-Sep-11 16:32:26

I'm making the worlds simplest knitted blanket as am not very good but hoping to bring them home wrapped in something I made!

Jill72 Sun 04-Sep-11 17:05:47

I am in a mad making mode - have started a crochet blanket which my brother took one look at and re-named a 'wonkit' as the edges are not very straight!!!

MrsHuxtable Sun 04-Sep-11 17:21:24

hahahahahaha, wonkit, I really like that!

sevensevenseven Sun 04-Sep-11 18:20:31

I've got some chunky wool, I'm just knitting a simple stripy moss stitch blanket, I just hope I get it finished in time! I don't know how to crochet, I might have to teach myself once I have time.

Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 18:23:23

I'm planning on making a cuddly toy, possibly one of these cats

harassedandherbug Sun 04-Sep-11 18:32:00

I'm knitting a blanket, and then will be doing cardigans, hats and mittens.

The blanket is a quite simple diagonal stripe one.

I'd love to learn to hook, but I just don't "get it"!!

TheOnlyWayIsEnfield Sun 04-Sep-11 18:38:11

I'm thinking of aplique-ing some of those padded things you put in the cot to cover the bars. There must be a name for them, but I don't know what it is! A friend of my MIL's who I have never met has made a blanket for the baby, which is very sweet, and my mum had knitted umpteen cardigans. A cuddly toy is a great idea as well.

MrsHuxtable Sun 04-Sep-11 18:44:53

TheOnlyWay, I think it's called a cot bumper? Or maybe that is something different?

Empusa, those cats are so cute.. Do you know how to make them? I'd love to make a cat like that as well. Both DH and I are cat people. We're really quite pathetic about ours.

I'm only 18 weeks and will be on sick leave for probably the rest of my pregnancy, so I have plenty of time to kill. I might be an expert in knitting, crocheting and sewing as well next year...

Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 18:49:30

Not yet I don't, hope the pattern clears that up though grin

I'm about to start working on one of these

Melawen Sun 04-Sep-11 18:57:35

ooh - I'm knitting a little blanket - only started knitting for the first time about a week ago as I've been inspired by my SIL and so to keep it easy for myself I am knitting squares that I can put together later. However, I've gotten a bit carried away as I am now also knitting a scarf for my niece and will be doing one for my nephew - both for Christmas!

GroovyRach Sun 04-Sep-11 20:00:54

For those of you knitting blankets, how many stitches did u cast on? I'm a beginner knitter and unsure how many to cast on to make blanket big enough. Not looking to make anything huge, but a decent size! Thanks grin

Gill79 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:07:12

I'm knitting for the first time, for DS2, due next month. Never occurred to me to do anything for DS! I'm doing the lots of little squares thing which will probably look quite wonky when all sewn together.
GroovyRach - each square is 40 stitches wide and I would say minimum three of those and maybe 4 for a wide enough blanket. That's using 4mm needles.

GroovyRach Sun 04-Sep-11 20:14:56

I'm using 8mm needles which I guess will give a chunkier 'knit' (I'm a total novice!!). Might just see how many I can fit on the needle and hope for the best!!

BedHog Sun 04-Sep-11 20:21:09

I'm making a very simple granny square crochet blanket, using all sort of different wools in autumn shades. I'd really like to make a square like this one, with a little star in the middle, but as I'm a complete novice I have no clue how to make the star. I'd be very grateful if a more knowledgeable crocheter could explain grin - I think I could manage the outside bit but the star has me flummoxed!!!

themightyskim Sun 04-Sep-11 20:41:42

Im crocheting a beautiful waffle type blanket, easy and really useful, actually im crocheting one for me and two for my friend who is having twins in december so fingers are flying at the moment lol

bedhog have you got the pattern for that its not showing on the site, but basically it lookes like a crochet ring and then its worked as I think two trebles crocheted together for each point then the yarn is changed to the other color, chains are worked and then crocheted round i the the square - looks hard but at a guess is very easy- if you have the pattern email it to me and Ill have a proper look for you and try and help more

sevensevenseven Sun 04-Sep-11 21:02:08

GroovyRach I'm using this extra chunky wool, with 101 stitches on the needle, although tbh I probably could have got away with around 90. If you're new to knitting I'd recommend a chunky wool as it's a lot quicker.

Sheepasaurus Sun 04-Sep-11 21:21:14

My mum and I will probably crochet some blankets. I still have a massive double bed sized blanket she made while pregnant with me 32 years ago.

LDNmummy Sun 04-Sep-11 21:32:30

I can't crotchet or knit but I can sow. My mother and I are going to buy some fabric this week so I can make some lovely large cotton sheets with significant symbols representing the baby's family history.

Luckily a good friend of my DH's family is knitting us a beautiful woollen blanket to match the cardigan, jumper and mittens she has already made.

I think now is the time to take up knitting as the weather turns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now