Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long till iron tablets kick in?

(8 Posts)
dribbleface Sun 04-Sep-11 15:29:59

Hi,

36 weeks and been prescribed iron tablets for slightly low iron levels (9 i think). How long till they take effect?

Feel lots better today, but not sure if thats a coincidence or as i've had 4 days worth. Hoping it the tablets as i have been feeling shocking recently and feel almost human today! grin

jammyscone Sun 04-Sep-11 17:06:42

I think it depends how low you were to begin with. As you're only slightly below normal it's possible you are getting good effects already.

dribbleface Sun 04-Sep-11 17:10:53

i do hope so. wanna feel normal, well as normal as it gets when pregnant, again tomorrow. fingers crossed!

MrsBloomingTroll Sun 04-Sep-11 18:00:57

Sorry to say, but have heard they take a few weeks to kick in.

The good news is that you've started taking them now, which will help to counteract the blood loss and dip in iron levels once you've had the baby.

BTW, I would recommend getting in some moist toilet tissue, Preparation H and some dried fruit/prune juice/Senokot to make the next few weeks a bit more pleasant...iron tablets + pregnancy + child birth = piles!!

dribbleface Sun 04-Sep-11 20:07:35

lovely thanks for that grin, have most of that in the cupboard as already been blessed with the blooming things but will stock up!

BedHog Sun 04-Sep-11 20:26:29

The dizziness stopped in a few hours, and the black diarrhoea kicked in the following day. I'll be sticking to Spatone from now on! grin

dribbleface Sun 04-Sep-11 20:40:10

ewwww bedhog, there is something to look forward to........hmmm what would i rather piles or black diarrhoea, the lovely choices we have in pregnancy!

MrsBloomingTroll Sun 04-Sep-11 21:52:36

I second the Spatone...gentler on the tummy than iron tablets. I took Spatone whilst still pregnant with DC2 and seemed to dodge the anaemia bullet this time. Bearing in mind that in normal non-pregnant life I tend to be anaemic anyway, and lost a lot of blood during DC2's birth (sorry TMI!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now