Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness suddenly worse at 8 weeks, normal?

(13 Posts)
Hoto Sun 04-Sep-11 13:43:30

Apols if this is a daft question but can morning sickness get suddenly much worse or might I have a bug or food poisoning?

I'm 8 wks and have had regular nausea and the occasional vom thus far but have spent today so far in bed or crawling to the lav. Having trouble keeping even water down.

Not sure I can do much about it either way but just wondered if anyone else had MS that got worse around this stage?

Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 13:44:56

Seems so. I only found out I was pregnant at about 8 weeks when I suddenly started throwing up all the times. No signs of pregnancy at all before that.

razzdazz Sun 04-Sep-11 14:30:08

Sadly yes, defo the case for me. I start off with nausea and some sickness which is bad enough then wham!!! 8 weeks hits me with a vengence!!

Cosmogirl Sun 04-Sep-11 15:13:11

Sorry to hear you are feeling like this. It could be that you have normal ms but I just wanted to make you aware of a pregnancy condition called hyperemesis Gravidarum. It goes beyond morning sickness - 2 % of women experience & needs proper treatment. Look it up and keep a close eye on how you are feeling. I was not properly diagnosed or treated & my preg was 9 months of hell as a result. I don't mean to scare you & hope it is normal morning sickness.

MrsHuxtable Sun 04-Sep-11 15:49:19

Yes, it can. Mine (turned out to be hyperemesis) also got worse over time and then better once I was treated right in hospital. I am now almost 18 weeks and it is def worse again than it was at 12 weeks.

razzdazz Sun 04-Sep-11 15:56:02

Should maybe add that mine was also hyperemesis and I dont stop for the entire pregnancies. With my 1st and 2nd pregnancies I left it until quite late to get some help which resulted in several hospital stays as I had let myself get so poorly. My third pregnancy I got help at 8 weeks and only ended up with one admission and a couple of daycases in EPU. 4th pregnancy now and can see that I am heading down the same road again......my advice would be to seek some help now. Best of luck.

dribbleface Sun 04-Sep-11 15:56:29

sorry but yep can do, i found sipping lucazade very helpful as the tiny amounts i kept down helped raise blood sugar level and this helped sickness.

You have my sympathies, 1st pregnancy it passed at 26 weeks (eek) but this time was better by 14 weeks.

I second what Cosmogirl says, do see you GP if you can't keep anything down at all.

nannyl Sun 04-Sep-11 16:12:56

at 8 weeks mine went from already quite bad (& signed off work) to keeping NOTHING at all down and being admitted to hospital.

I dont think thats unusual. Sorry.

I too had HG, and am now 39 weeks and only stopped taking my anti-sickness medication yesturday!

If you cant keep down anything then as others have said you MUST see your GP. Take a wee sample and insist its tested for keytones.

Hope you feel better soon

Ilovekittyelise Sun 04-Sep-11 17:27:15

everyone that has replied so far seems to have had really bad HG, which yes it's good to be aware of, but to give a glimmer of hope, i also got pretty icky around about 8 weeks but that intense phase only lasted 2 or 3 weeks and by about 11 weeks i was starting to feel human again (which lasted til about 24 weeks when i became afflicted by various other pregnancy niggles!). hope you feel better soon get plenty of rest, keep hydrated, and avoid the kitchen as much as you can!

Hoto Sun 04-Sep-11 17:29:25

Thank you everyone. Feeling marginally better now. I'm going to see how tomorrow goes and if it's a repeat performance I'll get myself to the GP.

Didn't have any of this malarkey with DS!

Oeisha Sun 04-Sep-11 21:00:04

Congrats on pg!

No hypermesis here. but yes I got A LOT worse from about 7wks onwards...
20wks now and (almost) never sick. Some days nothing would stay down, including water, others I was ok...until the evening.
If you're not keeping anything down (especially fluids) by tomorrow, go to your doctor, ask for an emergency apt, explain the situation if you need to. The last thing you need is to get dehydrated too, as that can mean a hopsital stay whilst they rehydrate you.
If you're repeatedly like this, then hypermesis is likely!
BUT it could be a bug...check your temp too. This is a good indication of a bug.

Tips:
1) Ginger capsuals (got mine from Holland and Barretts). Take them about an hour before your 'vulnerable' time.
2) Don't get hungry. Snack little and often. If you can't tollerate large amounts at one, spread your 'meals' throughout the day too.
3) if you're worse in the morning, eat some biscuits/toast/crackers before yuou get out of bed, and stay there for 10mins.
4) Do something else. Take your mind off the nausea when you can...
5) Check foods, is it happening after eating anything in particular? Smells often trigger sickness too. Some women have an aversion to citrus fruits whilst pg. More likely to cause headaches or heartburn, but worth thinking about (I'm citrus free because of migraines, so can't report it's a factor for me). Certian toothpastes would make me sick...so coudl it be something like that?

oh gods, my cat's just come in covered in oil AGAIN...if I think of anything else I'll let you know (if I haven't lost an arm).

Good luck xxx

Hoto Mon 05-Sep-11 16:03:11

thanks Oeisha, really helpful stuff. Your cat sounds like a character..!

Feeling marginally better today in that I've made it out of the house, am going to see how the next few days go as I have a MW appt on Weds.

Oeisha Mon 05-Sep-11 16:16:00

Yes, yes he is...he wassn't very pleased with his bath.

I hope you continue to feel better.
MS had me sobbing many times vommiting out my nose as well as it was so violent really freaked me out, so if you get to the crying point. As did said cat's sympathetic vommiting about 2ft behind me...just before I was due to go to work...that was a bad one.

Just come and rant on here if you're having a rough day with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now