Preparation for Hyperemesis pregnancy(11 Posts)
I was wondering if anyone else is waiting to TTC with the risk of a subsequent HG pregnancy. I have one DD who is 2.5 and had HG with her pregnancy which was poorly managed and not medically treated. I vomited until 30 weeks and had nausea for the whole time. Symptoms started at 6 weeks.
I am thinking of trying next year possibly but want to be as well prepared mentally and physically as possible, so will probably try to write a protocol and have a pre ttc meeting with a consultant.
I hear Ondasteron (Zofran) is one of the best drugs now. Has anyone managed to get this prescribed.
I am quite terrified at being so sick and debilitated again, especially now I am a full time parent to my DD, but I really feel our family is ready to add another member.
Any advice or anyone else in a similar situation, please join me.
I had HG with my first pregnancy, during which time i had Buccastem, Avomine, Stemetil, Cyclizine and Metoclopramine - none of which i found helpful orally.
I had prenatal counselling before ttc as there was no way i was prepared to go through the same experience as last time - esp with a toddler to look after.
The consultant I saw said that if the other antiemetics did not work for me this time I could have Ondansetron. I had not thought this possible on the NHS.
As a result of that appointment I felt a load off my mind and able to ttc. I am now 10 weeks pregnant and use Ondansetron as when required. Held off til 8 weeks. It is not a wonder drug for everyone and i still find pregnany hideous but for me the difference between this and last time is huge. I am able to function and look after my child. I still want to throw up when i cook my toddlers food or feed him, but i am getting through day by day!
Please feel free to pm me to ask any more questions
Cosmo, bumping for you but I will be back with pointers at a later point
There is a good group on Facebook as well and MOH will probably be along on the HG support thread, where a bouts in the country are you, as pregnancy sickness support may have someone near you you can chat to.
Thanks Fluffy. I'm in Lincolnshire. I'm not on facebook unfortunately so won't be able to access that group. Any advice much appreciated.
HiCosmo, haven't forgotten you, will try to post later when dc are in bed and sleeping like little angels
Right, I'm back ( for the second time as just lost all the stuff I wrote ahh)
First of all there is always the chance that you may not suffer HG second time around but....
1. Do you have a supportive dh/dp who is fully on board with the decision to try for another baby?
2. Do you have helpful and supportive family and friends nearby who can help out practically with housework and childcare and also emotionally by understanding that HG really is an illness?
3. There are some helpful websites that you can print off information for medical proffessionals.
4. Take someone with you to argue your case if necessary, can you speak to a GP before you become pregnant to set up a care plan?
5. Practically do as much as possible before you become ill, take folic acid as you know it won't stay down once you start throwing up constantly , cook up food and freeze it, get all those jobs done round the house etc
6. Early intervention could keep you out of hospital.
7. Be prepared to have to fight to get support, (see no 4 ) there are many drugs available, you may need to try different things to find what works for you. They will not stop the nausea but can prevent vomiting.
I had ondansetron in my second pregnancy and it was fantastic.
8. Eat little and often if possible, often plain starchy salty foods can help and very cold drinks.
9. Be prepared to feel depressed, even when you know what to expect it is a demoralising and miserable experience.
Didn't want to loose all that
Acupuncture seemed to work for me but it may just have been getting better and the drugs but it definitely didn't make me any worse and seemed to ease some of the symptoms. It was expensive though.
this site is useful and may be able to find a supporter in your area
Use the HG support thread as much as possible, nothing is tmi and the support and sense of humour is so helpful.
more support, although I think it's USA
set up by MOH who is on the support thread
Feel free to pm me, I'm in East Cambs, so depending where you are in Lincs not that far
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.