Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What do people mean by 'you've got a really neat bump'?

(27 Posts)
BedHog Sun 04-Sep-11 09:28:46

I've been told this many times over the past few weeks (I'm 32 weeks preg), and I usually smile and say thankyou as I presume they mean it as a compliment. But to be honest I haven't a clue what they mean! Do they mean small? All out front? A definite bump rather than flab? Symmetrical? confused And what would a 'messy bump' look like? To me, my bump looks just the same as all the other baby bumps I see.

Has anybody else had frequent comments about the neatness of their bump? What do you think people mean?

deemented Sun 04-Sep-11 09:31:01

I think it means that you don't look like a big fat heifer.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 04-Sep-11 09:33:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BedHog Sun 04-Sep-11 09:34:11

Until I turn around and they see my big fat pregnant arse!! grin

LawrieMarlow Sun 04-Sep-11 09:34:28

I think my sister has a neat bump. I think what I mean is that she is still thin but with a bump stuck on.

DilysPrice Sun 04-Sep-11 09:36:35

You clearly look like a normally slim woman with a watermelon stuffed down her frock. Within reason that's a very good thing, congratulations.

KikiRC Sun 04-Sep-11 09:46:28

I told my friend who was about 38 weeks she had a neat bump. I meant that she looked really well, and hadn't put on much weight anywhere else, just the bump itself. I meant it as a real compliment!

CroissantNeuf Sun 04-Sep-11 09:52:15

I always imagined that it meant a bump that hadn't spread to your arse, hips, thighs (and every far corner of your body).

Like Dilys said "a normally slim woman with a watermelon stuffed down her frock".

megansmummy1 Sun 04-Sep-11 14:26:44

having a neat bump means you are one of those pregnant women I am always jealous of! I carry with so much weight everywhere else that people cant tell if I am pregnant or just a gregs sausage roll addict really fat. Is much nicer to hear about your neat bump than my usual "are you sure its not twins?" type comments.

G1nger Sun 04-Sep-11 15:22:07

I get told I've got a neat bump, too. But I know for myself that I've put weight on my bum that 'stops me falling forwards'.

Sandra2011 Sun 04-Sep-11 15:41:09

I would think it means that your pump is not hanging smile

somewherewest Sun 04-Sep-11 15:43:04

Thanks for explaining. I was wandering about this too. Given that I've gone from 8 1/2 stone to almost 11 stone and look really wobbly with no clothes on I'm now feeling quite relieved/flattered grin

sjuperwolef Sun 04-Sep-11 15:47:28

my best mate had a neat bump, she is a wee slim thing and just had this space hopper beach ball down her front grin my bump is humungous when im standing but when i sit down i look like a big fat fatty which i was before i fell pg admittedly

Mum2be79 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:45:50

I've been told I have a neat bump. Assuming it means that I am slim with a melon stuck down my top that is perfectly round and in proportion. Quite glad when people say that considering I was a fat lump of lard beforehand and being pregnant has 'slimmed me out'.

Loving my bump at the moment. I get lots of wanted attention from people! smile

Ilovekittyelise Sun 04-Sep-11 20:59:23

haha this is funny....i agree with the other posts, it means you arent a ginormous whale. no-one has accused me of having a neat bump, bump and cake just merge into one expanse of white flesh for me....

2cats2many Sun 04-Sep-11 21:01:55

I think they mean that you aren't a total fatso, like I was. I usually got gasps of horror, sympathetic questions about how I was 'coping' and enquiries as to when the twins were due (I wasn't pregnant with twins).

Ilovekittyelise Sun 04-Sep-11 21:26:23

god the twins thing. people are total bastards. no-one walks up to a non-pregnant fat person and comments.

thegingerone Sun 04-Sep-11 22:24:49

I have been told by people recently that I have a neat bump. It seems to come from people who want to be polite to me and I think it is meant as a "you look nice" comment. I, of course, at 30 weeks, would rather that people told me I looked massive. (However a routine MW appointment confirms I'm on dates so I'm less paranoid about my "smallness" now)

Ironically I spent most of the start of my pg being asked if I was pg with twins.

Theala Sun 04-Sep-11 22:32:26

Ilovekittyelise god the twins thing. people are total bastards. no-one walks up to a non-pregnant fat person and comments.

They totally do. I have had four people in the last few months commenting on my 'pregnancy'. Whereupon I've had to explain that I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat. blush

eurochick Sun 04-Sep-11 22:37:37

The first post has it - it means you don't look like a bit fat heifer.

SheldonsBazinga Sun 04-Sep-11 22:41:03

Some of us look as though we should be given a set of scaffolding in our Bounty packs. This is the opposite of a neat bump.

HPonEverything Mon 05-Sep-11 12:49:13

I call it a Barbie Bump, like one of those stick on ones that when you remove it you've just got a normal Barbie.

Barbie is one lucky b$$$$

TrillianAstra Mon 05-Sep-11 12:51:14

There is no possible way it could not be a compliment.

Just as slim as ever plus a watermelon or beach ball (depending on stage of pregnancy)

AppleyEverAfter Mon 05-Sep-11 13:15:03

Some people told me this but after weighing myself last week and finding I've put on 3 stone, I think they must be either blind or being polite. Swollen ankles, fingers and face not doing much to make me feel like I have a 'Barbie Bump' either!

moomsy Mon 05-Sep-11 13:50:48

I have had this said to me all pregnancy. English is not my first language so I just took it as a compliment and brushed it off lol

Having said that... I have always had a big bump!!

I don't like when people ask if 'I am sure there is only one baby in there'

That's Milf's fav question angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now