Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do you feel your baby move during labour??

(14 Posts)
katefirsttimer Sat 03-Sep-11 23:04:29

Hi,
Im little curious at 36 weeks and being a 1st mum to find out if you feel your baby move arond at all when in labour?
Ive been experiencing period type pains on and off today but can still feel my baby kicking and ounching quite a bit. Ive had no shows so im not concerned that im going into labour early.

aethelfleda Sat 03-Sep-11 23:07:52

Might be baby's head engaging (getting into blast-off position)?

I think some babies move all the way through but most of them get a bit quieter during actual birth- having your head squeeze through the birth canal is a bit of a job so they tend not to have room to move much. I dont remember feeling much movement from my DDs once real labour got underway. But i was kinda distracted anyway...

Gincognito Sat 03-Sep-11 23:16:17

Not that I'm aware...I was really focused on other stuff grin

claricestar Sat 03-Sep-11 23:33:44

I didn't feel movement during labour, like the above posters, maybe because I was focussing on the pain!

surfandturf Sat 03-Sep-11 23:35:19

I only remember feeling contractions rather than baby moving too.

hester Sat 03-Sep-11 23:38:49

I don't remember feeling movements, but I probably had other things on my mind (like how to stop my leg making involuntary kicking movements, and how to keep on all fours without my knees giving way, and how to keep baying like a wolf without making my throat hurt etc smile).

I'm so jealous you're about to have your first baby - what a fantastic experience! Best of luck with the birth and with your new life as a mother smile

katefirsttimer Sun 04-Sep-11 00:01:43

Aww hester thats really sweet of you to say, thank you very much.
Thanks to everyone for their advice too.
But did any1 feel the baby moving the early stages of labour or is labour all about the pain???
xx

Imnotaslimjim Sun 04-Sep-11 00:12:58

I remember the MW asking if I'd felt movements and when I said no they put me on the trace monitor. So I would expect that some women do feel it, but like others have said, its likely you'll have other stuff on your mind!

FromGirders Sun 04-Sep-11 00:13:46

I don't really remember if either of them moved much during labour, but I had the weirdest experience when dd was half-born, ie her head was out, and she was still kicking really strongly inside me! Not sure if she was trying to push herself out or was protesting at the noise and light!
It was really weird.
But really really good :-)

electra Sun 04-Sep-11 00:13:51

I didn't feel movement, no.

Poweredbypepsi Sun 04-Sep-11 00:37:40

During early labour i felt a few wriggles but later on didnt notice any

LyraBelaqua Sun 04-Sep-11 09:24:17

I too felt baby kicking when her head was out but the rest of her was still inside and I think she moved a bit during labour, can't really remember. It was very surreal feeling her kicking when she was half in half out smile

deemented Sun 04-Sep-11 09:29:46

I feelt lots of movement with my first labour - i was 28 weeks and they were just about to give me a spinal so they could do a emcs and i could still feel them kicking and moving around.

razzdazz Sun 04-Sep-11 09:56:55

I didnt realise I was in labour!!! Actually drove myself to hospital in the middle of the night because I couldnt feel dd moving only to be told when I got there that I was 7cm dialated with bulging membranes and that is why I couldnt feel her blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now