Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nightdress or pyjamas?

(12 Posts)
Merinda Sat 03-Sep-11 22:31:42

I keep reading that I need to have a nightdress in the hospital post-birth, but wonder if pyjamas are equally ok? I have never worn a nightgown in my life, so this would be a first, but I do not find them comfortable.

aethelfleda Sat 03-Sep-11 22:40:14

Dude, get whatever is comfortable! Pyjamas are fine as long as the bottoms are stretchy and the waist comes up reasonably high (you'll need to be able to fit in sanitary towels after the birth). If you're breastfeeding then male sure the top has buttons so you can access your boobs easily to feed baby.
I've had two DDs and have seen people wear PJs or nightshirts in hospital, not seen an old fashioned nightgown as they have tight necks so no good for feeding. So just get what works for you and is comfy!

Merinda Sat 03-Sep-11 22:43:20

Thanks, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but got a bit paranoid...

aethelfleda Sat 03-Sep-11 22:47:09

Not stupid at all! There are so many recommendations/lists/bobbins it can easily get overwhelming.... Some of it is manufacturers trying to convince you that you NEED x/y/z. Another eg is the "disposable maternity knickers and special maternity pads for after the birth" thats on all the baby list. It's way more comfy buying one size up cheap granny knickers from tescos/primark and night time heavy flow sanitary towels with wings....

milkjetmum Sat 03-Sep-11 23:09:50

Hi - don't mean to be too graphic but I think the reason they recommend it is to make it easier if you have a catheter in for parts of labour or afterwards...

But of course dressing gown could work just as well if you prefer.

HPonEverything Sun 04-Sep-11 09:13:58

I'm so glad you asked this as I've been wondering the same thing. Nightdresses are really not "me" but I thought maybe they need access to something that they can't get to in pyjamas IYSWIM

Had a look in Mothercare yesterday and was really not struck on the 'gowns' so I plumped for a groovy pair of PJs with a button-down top.

I'm so vain it almost hurts, but also was thinking long term, and being very shy I don't like to think of a gown riding up and displaying my pants to all and sundry blush

BedHog Sun 04-Sep-11 09:50:52

Whatever option you choose, get a dark colour. Hides the blood stains much better!!!

BiscuitNibbler Sun 04-Sep-11 10:07:44

If I were you I'd pack at least one nightdress just in case. I ended up with an EMCS and had a catheter and therefore was stuck in bed for a bit so the nurses had to change my pad for me (also had a few floods, which fortunately my nightie was out of the way of - sorry for TMI). Also, I wasn't exactly in a position to be able to pull down and back up pyjama bottoms for a few days.

I second the advice to choose a dark colour - also important for the towel you take in with you.

Merinda Sun 04-Sep-11 17:42:49

Thank you all for the advice. I did not think about catheters and stuff like that, so I guess will have to find a nightdress (gown, shirt - no clue what the difference is)...

queenebay Sun 04-Sep-11 17:48:43

I took a mixture-nightie and matching pj bottoms

Empusa Sun 04-Sep-11 17:50:33

I don't wear nighties either, hugely baggy t-shirts are just as good though.

BodyUnknown Sun 04-Sep-11 18:46:30

I was told to bring a nightgown - I hate nighties as they show off my horrible legs, so I packed my favourite PJs too. In the event, I did have a catheter and so it was the nightgown most of the way, but once the catheter was out I got out of the (by then filthy and bloodied) hideous nightie and into my lovely pyjamas. Take both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now