Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Alternative pain remedies

(8 Posts)
Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 19:42:40

Evening,

I've got something like a trapped nerve in my shoulder come on today which is jolly uncomfortable. Obviously most painkillers are off the menu, and i would prefer not to take paracetemol if i can avoid it, so I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions?

It isn't mega mega painful but more uncomfortable so I just wondered if there was something easy I could do to ease it a bit?

Thanks x

BedHog Sat 03-Sep-11 19:57:11

Hot water bottle? Massage? Nice relaxing bath?

Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 20:01:38

Oooh, might try a hot water bottle - that's a good idea. I reckon I could use one of those wheat things that you heat in the microwave (that they sell to old folk at country fayres wink) - that'll learn me for scoffing at them confused

Not sure I could get my shoulder under the water in a bath (not a big bath sad) and it feels like maybe heat applied to it would be the best.

Will see if DH will massage it for me (but I suspect that'll have to wait until he's finished scoffing his tea grin

Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 20:09:43

Ha! Just found some toy of ds's that has a wheat thing in it - result!

Although I hate the smell of lavender - Bleh!

midoriway Sat 03-Sep-11 20:19:14

Are you comfortable with having a drink even though you are pregnant? One of the many benefits of alcohol is it is acts as an analgesic that targets the nervous system. I get trapped nerves a couple of times a years, and my physio suggested that the single best pain killer for a trapped nerve is a stiff whisky. It works!! Paracetamol does bugger all for nerve pain.

Other than booze, keep your shoulder moving is the best thing you can do, counter-intuitive as it is.

Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 20:45:24

Probably wouldn't drink tbh (I'm not a big drinker even when not pg) - and especially not whiskey - Bleh! (this is just me - it makes me heave! I'm not much good with any spirits though)

But useful knowledge for post pg trapped nerves - thank you grin

Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 20:47:55

Will keep it moving though - thanks smile

Biscuitsandtea Sat 03-Sep-11 21:29:04

Oh, and I should probably add re the drinking thing that I am being mega cautious as am still not 3 mths yet so am nervously awaiting my scan (and have had a mc before). If it were later on and my shoulder was worse I would possibly try it but am too nervous at the mo confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now