Advanced search

Scan - What do you think?

(8 Posts)
Summerblaze Sat 03-Sep-11 07:44:02


I posted a few weeks back as I had some brown discharge at 6w 4d. Went for a scan and they saw a nice shaped sac, a yolk sac and possibly (although the sonographer didn't put it on the report as she wasn't sure) the start of a fetal pole. They dated it at 6w 6d but said they could be out 5 days each way. The report said viable pregnancy and they told me that my next scan would be the 12 week one. I was concerned as I thought I would see a baby and a h/b.

Over the last few weeks, I have had no more brown discharge or spotting. I have had m/s although at 8w it is easing slightly, have sore bbs and am getting a rounded tummy. This said, I am still feeling uneasy about the last scan especially as the nurse we saw after the scan wasn't all that positive.

I am thinking of ringing next week to ask for another scan. By my dates, I will be 9w 6d. By my lmp, I will 10w.

Will I definitely either see something or not by this time. I won't be having my dating scan until 14w and I can't wait all that time but I also don't want to go too early and it still be up in the air.

kat2504 Sat 03-Sep-11 08:08:41

Hmm yes I can understand that you are worried. I'm a little bit behind you but I also had a scan at 6+4 by my lmp. However, they dated me at 6+1 with a 5mm fetal pole. So I'm not sure how they have dated you at 6+6 when they haven't got a crl measurement yet. The fact that there is a yolk sac and the pregnancy is viable is a good thing though.
I'm having the similar worries about waiting for my dating scan. By 10 weeks you definitely aren't too early. They will be able to tell you one way or the other by now so I would say it is worth asking.

Summerblaze Sat 03-Sep-11 08:14:44

The measurements they used to date were the size of the sac but she did say that they could be out 5 days either way so I could have been as early at 6w 1d. All signs (apart from the results of the last scan) point to it being ok, but i can't get excited at all until I know for sure. I have just sold my house and with that and the uncertainty of this, it is really hard to control the stress levels.

lollystix Sat 03-Sep-11 08:29:35

Could you pay for a private one - about £80 my way. I've done it when in you situation with implantation bleeding - worth it for the peace of mind.

kat2504 Sat 03-Sep-11 08:35:03

Yes definitely worth it. Viability scans usually from £50 to £100 depending on where you go. Google your town and early pregnancy ultrasound scan and see what comes up. Waiting another month seems quite unreasonable when you are already so anxious.

MrsCLH Sat 03-Sep-11 09:42:16

I think if there had been doubts about the viability they would have had u in for a second scan a week or maybe 2 weeks later. I had similar to u when I had a scan at 6+4 by my lmp. No hb seen but they were very negative and said prob not viable, sac was big at this point. So they had me back in a week later and luckily it was good news, hb seen and measuring exactly 7 weeks. I guess what im saying is that if u didnt have to go back for the second scan, it sounds like all was well. Having said that, u should definitely ask for another scan, no harm asking and nothing worse than being anxious if u dont need to be. Hope that helps xx

Summerblaze Sat 03-Sep-11 10:09:40

That does help, thanks. Did you see a yolk sac with your first scan MrsCLH. x

kiki22 Sat 03-Sep-11 19:54:15

you may have a problem getting another scan, i had one around 6 weeks and was told unless i had more bleeding or a lot of pain i would not be given an extra scan just to put my mind at rest and had to wait until 14 weeks which i did and everything was fine. Sucks for us but i can see the hospitals point they can't give scans without a real reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now