Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cervical scan at 32 weeks

(4 Posts)
Againagainagain Fri 02-Sep-11 23:36:58

has anyone had a cervical scan at 32 weeks, I'm booked in for one as apparently it can give some idea if the baby is likely to be born prem

RickGhastley Sat 03-Sep-11 03:23:48

Hi again

I'm 18 weeks and have to have a cervical scan every 3 weeks of my pregnancy at the premature baby clinic, so I've had about 4 so far. It's because I had some pre-cancerous cells removed from my cervix.

It's really straightforward. It's an internal scan (probably TMI but the Dr inserts a dildo-shaped scanner inside you, the same type they use to do internal early PG scans), it lasts just a few minutes whilst measurements are taken of the cervix. It is not painful at all.

The good thing is that even if the scan shows a risk of prem delivery there are things that can help (bedrest or in early PG, a cervical stitch) and in any case babies born after 32 weeks have a really good chance of being OK.

HTH and good luck with your scan!

Againagainagain Sat 03-Sep-11 03:50:55

Thankyou, my last 2 babies were prem due to premature rupture of membranes. Last baby was born at 32 weeks and is doing realy well he's now 6 months. I'm just keeping fingers crossed ill get to at least 30 weeks!

Shanghai Sat 03-Sep-11 05:44:03

I had them every week from 20 weeks because my cervix was shortening too early and they were checking I wasn't going into labour - it's not painful, not even really uncomfortable and you can sometimes see really cool close ups of random parts of the baby cos it's more detailed than from the stomach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now