Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to not get fat? Seriously. This is depressing.

(18 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Fri 02-Sep-11 20:24:42

I am 15 weeks pregnant and already getting depressingly fat. My face is bloated, my arse is enormous, my thighs are thunderous and by boobs no longer fit into my shirts. The least said about my belly the better.

I SO wanted a cute, glam, fit pregnancy this time.

Tell me, how would you manage it, considering the following factors?

1. Healthy food makes me vomit. Being hungry makes me vomit. The only way to get through the day in a reasonably functioning way is to snack regularly on cheese, bread and chocolate.

2. I had SPD in my last two pregnancies and am already feeling the twinges again. Can't walk far; definitely can't run; even swimming is dodgy.

So, I ask you, how do I not become a big fat bloater when I am confined to sitting on the sofa eating cheese sandwiches for the next 6 months?? Serious question. Am quite depressed at the sight of me.

bumbums Fri 02-Sep-11 20:46:38

So your nauseous, exhausted and already have 2 children. Lady you just have to do/eat what ever it takes to get you through this phase.
One day some time in the future (maybe when baby is 2ish) you'll have the energy and time to loose the wait. Till then try to be patient and cut your self a large amount of slack!! smile

fluffles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:49:49

cheese bread and chocolate are seriously not going to give you the nutrients you need - seriously, forget about the weight thing (bloating is often just bloating and not fat) and concentrate on trying lots of ways to get different nutrients into yourself.... protein, vitamins, whole grains...

what do you mean by 'healthy food' when you say it makes you vomit? can you eat porridge? veg? wholemeal bread? lean meat?

wompoopigeon Fri 02-Sep-11 20:54:35

I have SPD twinges and still do gentle swimming (no breaststroke, lots of arm movement and gentle leg movements). I just do a lot fewer lengths than before. So it isn't necessarily completely off the menu? You could try it and see if it aggravates things? I combine it with pilates, which is another kind of exercise you could still do.

I guess it's just a matter of finding lower fat/ healthier versions of what you find yourself drawn to eg. crudités rather than crisps, lower fat cheeses... You know the score. I do tend to find myself craving slightly healthier food as the pg goes on... Maybe that will happen for you?

stripeywoollenhat Fri 02-Sep-11 21:02:40

i'm just embracing the podge, myself: 2012 is soon enough to worry about it....

Crosshair Fri 02-Sep-11 21:07:13

Agree with fluffles and wompoopigeon.

Give healthier versions a try and see how you get on.

Gill79 Fri 02-Sep-11 21:07:52

Don't be down aubergine. Am 33 weeks with DC2. This time I put on a stone by 12 weeks due to the same reasons as you, had a hideous bloated tummy, a really puffy face and just looked dreadful. 20 weeks later (although have done nothing more energetic than changing the channel) have only put on another stone, the bump now out and making everything else look smaller and people telling me how much better I'm looking. Pre 20 weeks is just such a horrible time there's no way you're going to look good, just keep telling yourself it's not forever - it's really not!
Like you I was going to have a really healthy pregnancy this time - HA HA HA. When you're in the shit you've just got to do what you can to get through the day. For me that was toast and two pain au chocolats for breakfast, two packets of sandwiches and chocolate at lunch, just one dinner grin and ice cream every day, plus millions of calories in squash and ribena. Just keep taking the supplements! Hopefully you will feel better at some point and can eat a bit more normally, or find some healthy things that you can actually eat. Even if it's just orange juice, or some peas!

Purplebuns Fri 02-Sep-11 21:29:22

Oh poor Aubers, people who say try healthy options don't realise how bad an aversion can be, I am just about sneaking some fruit into my diet now. Although I am eating mostly sandwiches, (white bread only) if it is all you can keep down then that is the important thing and cheese is very good in pregnancy, protein, good fats and calcium.
Hopefully, when you feel better you can eat healthier, this is what I am hoping and trying to drink some fruit juice to get a bit more nutrition in.

TooImmature2BDumbledore Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:38

Was kind of hoping someone would have a magical answer! Am 9 weeks and caught sight of myself in the full-length mirror at work. sad Looked like a giant bloater. Wish the bump would appear already so I have an excuse! Am trying to ignore it until magic breastfeeding diet can begin.

spannermary Fri 02-Sep-11 21:34:55

I can't tolerate salad - normally I like it but just looking at it turns my stomach! So I've been making veggie soup, & eating it with some wholemeal bread - it's comfort food with nutrients! And then I can have a guilt free ginger & dark chocolate biscuit afterwards! Cooking/blending veggies into stuff is the best (only?!) way I've found of getting any balance. Hth.

notlettingthefearshow Fri 02-Sep-11 22:35:40

I couldn't abide healthy food - fruit, salad etc and most things made me feel sick apart from biscuits and chips. It does get easier - but pregnancy is never going to be the ideal time to diet!

notanumptyalways Sat 03-Sep-11 01:04:39

It sounds like bloating and water weight to me and I bet it will go away after birth.

My friend tried eating the same amount throughout pregnancy as she did before pregnancy and eventually blacked out. She was advised to increase her food intake immediately.

I would embrace the weight and just keep doing moderate exercise such as swimming or stretching and gentle walking or cycling to keep toned and generally fit.

Are you planning on breastfeeding? Usually a lot of weight comes off if you breastfeed.

AlpinePony Sat 03-Sep-11 06:48:30

Aubergine, this is actually your fourth isn't it? In which case you'll know that pregnancies vary enormously - in some you eat, in some you don't.

Given however the clothes you like on s&b you clearly have no problem returning to a healthy weight post-pregnancy. So fuck it my dear, embrace it. You're not eating because you're a pig but because you feel as rough as a dog.

For the love of god don't eat reduced fat crap, you don't need a bunch of sugar and shit chemicals instead.

LoveInAColdClimate Sat 03-Sep-11 06:56:33

Did the people on here banging on about about eating healthily not have morning sickness? I could only eat salt and vinegar crips and toast for some weeks and I know my sickness was a fraction of Aubers' - I asked my GP about it who said just to try to keep down a pregnancy vitamin and not to worry as the baby will leach what it needs from your body (ok, don't worry about the baby, although maybe a bit about yourself!). Nothing useful to add, Aubers, sorry!

heather1980 Sat 03-Sep-11 07:08:29

i so remember that stage, when i was pregnant with dd all i could eat for months without throwing up was cocopops and quavers.
it will pass and maybe when you stop feeling so sick then swap to healthy food,

silverangel Sat 03-Sep-11 07:09:51

I ate pretty much white bread, crisps, haribo and mashed potato for the first 20 weeks of my(twin) pregnancy, and then things like cornish pasties, sausage rolls and cake. I didn't even weigh myself during it as I didn't want to know the damage. 4 weeks after delivery I am normal weight again by just going back to what I ate before I was pg. I could not even look at salad for some reason and I could not face healthy food at all. I think you just have to go with what your body tells you.

pregnantmimi Sat 03-Sep-11 07:47:25

I lost 3 stone before I got pregnant 5 months before as I was getting married just went from a 16 to a 12.

I nearly put it back on despite being healthy and my arms are starting to look like a bowl of porridge.

It did bother me so tryed to do more exercise and eat better but like your self got the pelvic pain and I cant do much now so decided to forget about it its not a long time to be fat and bloated and enjoy eating without having to restrict yourself its about the only time in life its acceptable to get fat.

Having said that I am amazed by the amount of rude comments I get about my size off people who seem to think its ok to call me fatty when they see me. Im not as huge as I was before I lost the 3 stone before I got pregnant but no one commented then.

Im 24 weeks now and thinking that there isnt much point worrying about it and I quite like my big bump.

Also its all very well people saying they only put 2 stone on full term and have lovely neat little bumps etc I had people say this to me but some times its unavoidable due to so many reasons like fluid retention, thyroid going underactive, only being able to eat certain types of food, having to eat large amounts every few hours or feel dizzy so everyone is different.

My midwife pointed out that I put on a lot and suggested I eat a carrot when Im hungry its good advice but seriously a carrot... doesnt fill you up does it?

Chill out Im just thinking I can lose it once baby is here.xx

allhailtheaubergine Sat 03-Sep-11 11:23:39

Thank you all for exactly the right combination of reassurance, sympathy and advice.

I am going to do some arm swimming. Even wallowing up and down the pool like a manitee is better than sitting on the sofa.

I have bought a load of veggies and am going to try a thick veggie soup. Mght work. Better than yet more bread and cheese.

I am also going to cut myself some slack and try not to compare myself to all the impossibly glam, cute, glowing pregnancies I seem to be surrounded by.

Maybe some flattering frocks might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now