Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

At what point does it stop being "normal" and start being something to worry about?

(9 Posts)
Daiso Fri 02-Sep-11 18:05:43

I had a really excrutiating pain yesterday across abdomen, i'd say right under bump - really really painful for about 2hrs. then it went. Was tender for rest of day but nothing too bad.
Today, had a similar but much worse pain, starting by my belly button and working towards the right of my bump/pelvic area. This lasted from 7.30am until about 2pm - I was considering calling the ante natal dept but didn't want to mither as you get told so many times it's "normal" and stretching etc. The pain today nearly led me to tears. Everytime i walked/moved it got worse. After laying down for about 40 mins it eased up and has kinda come back but not as bad, after moving around. Lower backache too.
I feel that as it's gone, it can't have been much to worry about?
Sorry for the essay and am not expecting you to all be doctors but just wondered if anyone the same?

wompoopigeon Fri 02-Sep-11 18:06:53

How many weeks are you?

MsChanandlerBong Fri 02-Sep-11 18:08:10

I would get it checked out. Advice is maternity depts would rather see 100 false alarms than risk missing 1 genuine case - so give them a call now.

It probably is normal, round ligament pain or something, but get it checked out just in case - good luck.

nannyl Fri 02-Sep-11 18:19:41

I agree, best to call to be safe.

pain that has you (almost) in tears doesnt sound normal to me (unless in labour perhaps)

Daiso Fri 02-Sep-11 18:42:56

Sorry - thought i'd put in all essential info! Am 29 weeks.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Fri 02-Sep-11 18:44:44

Daiso I've just started ante natal classes and the MW told us that any pain that has us doubled over or wanting painkillers should get checked out.

As MsBong (great name btw) said it probably is something to not worry about but far better to be certain than sitting at home worrying.

bigeyes Fri 02-Sep-11 18:47:30

Get on that phone now - twinges and soreness round bump but not this type of pain - ring now - hope all is well though.

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Sep-11 18:47:50

Daiso, I had something similar to this around the same stage and it turned out to be caused by a urine infection (no other symptoms at all). YOu need to get this checked out to find out what it is (a UTI untreated for example can lead to early labour),

nunnie Fri 02-Sep-11 19:11:54

I had a UTI which gave me no symptoms well nothing I couldn't put down to 'normal' pregnancy related anyway, I ended up in hospital for 3 days because it spread to my kidneys and I became quite ill.

Please get checked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now