Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Spanx

(8 Posts)
AKP79 Fri 02-Sep-11 16:23:55

Hi ladies

I've got to go to a really big awards ceremony next week, which I'm very excited about because it'll be a bit of a celeb fest, but I'm also dreading due to my pregnant wobbly body state! Has anyone tried maternity Spanx? Are they worth the money? I need to do something to streamline my figure and boost my confidence amongst all those micro mini celebs!

MsChanandlerBong Fri 02-Sep-11 18:10:40

I've not tried them... they sound very uncomfortable!! But isn't the current pregnancy trend to show off your bump anyway? Loads of pregnant celebs at the mo... it'll probably give you an excuse to talk to Amanda Holden/Emma Willis/whoever else!!!

EldritchCleavage Fri 02-Sep-11 18:33:05

Not the proper Spanx, but I did try the Spanx maternity tights. I didn't find them uncomfortable or constricting, just very supporting. I think it might be a good idea in that lots of support for the bump will make you feel more comfortable, especially if you are likely to spend a lot of time standing.

BedHog Fri 02-Sep-11 18:42:45

What would put me off is the fact that Amanda Holden made a big deal of saying she managed to hide her previous pregnancy for 6 months by wearing maternity Spanx. We all know that ended in tragedy and I'm sure there's no link between the underwear and what happened to her, but I now have that association in my head and would be wary about wearing them.

phlossie Fri 02-Sep-11 19:47:03

How pregnant are you? I wore footless Mama Spanx in my last pregnancy (2nd) to a wedding when I was six months pregnant. They lifted my bump, firmed my bum (didn't shrink it, sadly), gave me a smooth silhouette under a clingy dressed and stopped my thighs chaffing. Worth every penny, imo!

Hope you enjoy the awards - exciting! What do you do? You're not actually Beyonce under cover are you?!

Katiebeau Fri 02-Sep-11 22:17:25

The belly on the Mama Spanx tights and pants is not at all retrictive and all the support is for the tights, bum and under the bump. No constriction of the belly so I have no clue how they help hide a bump, mine certainly don't! But they do mean my more clingy maternity dresses look better!!!

Merinda Fri 02-Sep-11 22:37:52

Yes, the belly panel is quite large and stetchy, with under-belly support, which is qute nice (impossible to hide your pregnancy in those, btw).
I find the quality, however, quite poor - they ladder very easily, particularly in the toes. I had 2 pairs tear on the first day of wear.
So overall not great value. But I got mine in the US on sale, so at least did not have to pay the ridiculous UK prices...

AKP79 Sat 03-Sep-11 22:28:56

Hi ladies, only just managed to log back into Mumsnet. Thanks so much for all the feedback, I think I'm going to give them a whirl. I've splashed out on an Isobella Oliver dress, but it's quite clingy so I'm conscious of my wobbly hips and thighs.

Phlossie - you did make me laugh, I wish!! smile I work in PR and am off to the Prima magazine awards. I've got tickets to the VIP area for the evening which is where all the celebs hang out. Really looking forward to it, but I've developed some really bad body confidence issues since getting preggers!

Thanks again ladies. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now